Confirmed with Link: Jonas Gustavsson named 1st star of the week!

RedWingsNow*

Well deserved.
I think Monster could be a starter in the NHL if 1) he could stay healthy and 2) given the chance.
I don't see Howard as being much, if any better than Gus

Detroit Sports*

Well deserved.
I think Monster could be a starter in the NHL if 1) he could stay healthy and 2) given the chance.

I always said he is better than Howard and I got flamed on here... Howard is over payed and overrated.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
well deserved.

Well deserved.

monster was very much given the chance in toronto. but maybe he wasn't ready then and their d wasn't as good.

i need to see more of him as there was most definitely a lot of luck involved in his last week's performance.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
well deserved.

monster was very much given the chance in toronto. but maybe he wasn't ready then and their d wasn't as good.

i need to see more of him as there was most definitely a lot of luck involved in his last week's performance.

He dealt with injuries there as well. Injuries and the death of both his parents. By the time he could stay healthy Reimer came into the picture and it was clear who management chose. Gus in his last season wasn't given a fair chance and outplayed Reimer that year.

I agree with Howard being overrated. I think Gus could match his play but management made a bigger investment in Howard he would have to play like dog **** to be on the bench.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
well deserved.

I agree. Gustavsson looked good this week, but his playstyle is too erratic to be a full time starter on a good team. Even when he looked amazing, he still doesn't instill any confidence into the team, it's always a battle when he's in net.

RedWingsNow*

Howard is like Eaves and Miller.
He's our goalie, so guys want to think he's a really good goalie.
Eaves and Miller play the PK, so guys really want to think they're good on the PK.

What separates Howie from the average NHL starter? Not much, IMO.

Now how about Monster? He's pretty freakin' athletic and unorthodox. He's got the chops to be a really good NHL goalie. But he would need to show it before I believed it.

RedWingsNow*

I agree. Gustavsson looked good this week, but his playstyle is too erratic to be a full time starter on a good team. Even when he looked amazing, he still doesn't instill any confidence into the team, it's always a battle when he's in net.

Meaningless.
Teams don't get confidence because someone goes down and does the butterfly.
Teams get confidence when they're goalie makes huge saves and allows them to win games they'd otherwise lose.
There've been many very good, unorthodox goalies in the NHL over the years.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What separates Howard from Rask or Quick or Rinne? Gustavsson is an OK backup, but no where near NHL starter category. Look at his sv % over the years.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Eaves and Miller play the PK, so guys really want to think they're good on the PK.

Now how about Monster? He's pretty freakin' athletic and unorthodox. He's got the chops to be a really good NHL goalie. But he would need to show it before I believed it.

i'm not thinking howie is very good goalie bc he's wings goalie. i think he's good one, but not great one. slightly above average.

he does have 11th best even strength sv% over the last three years (who have played at least 3000 mins)

and actually the 2nd best if we go by last two years. only brian elliott is ahead of him and he's played almost 2000 mins less.

Meaningless.
Teams don't get confidence because someone goes down and does the butterfly.
Teams get confidence when they're goalie makes huge saves and allows them to win games they'd otherwise lose.
There've been many very good, unorthodox goalies in the NHL over the years.

true and it might be that monster is one of those unorthodox goalies and that's why allaire's stuff didn't work with him in toronto.

but i need to see more of him to get crasp if it was luck or skill. he's out of position a lot. many of the shots he managed to save, end up on net more often than not on many goalies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I feel like Gustavsson could be better than Howard for stretches in a Hasek-like way (IE how he played the last few games), but Howard gives you something you can bank on. Gustavsson is much more polarizing, it seems. When he is "on" and confident you have as good a chance to win the game as anyone ever did, but if he isn't at that level your guys all have to be on board with bailing him out often and really watching their assignments. Howard will let in a soft goal here and there, but for the most part is fairly reliable in giving the same effort game in and game out.

RedWingsNow*

What separates Howard from Rask or Quick or Rinne? Gustavsson is an OK backup, but no where near NHL starter category. Look at his sv % over the years.

I think Rinne is overrated, myself. And even though Quick has a cup, I think he's vastly overrated. But he has that cup.

Playoff and international success are pretty good barometers, IMO.
While at times, playoff success is a function of the team -- I just haven't seen Jimmy look like a world beater without following it up with mediocrity in the playoffs.

That's not to say he can't or won't become a top tier goalie -- because I suspect part of Jimmy's problem is maturity.

Lots of times goalie stats are propped up by coaching systems. Any goalie who plays for Ken Kitchcock or Dave Tippet, for example.

Does anyone really believe Brian Elliot is a great goalie? Anyone remember how great Bryz looked in the regular season for the Coyotes?
Who was that goalie who posted all those shutouts in a row a few years ago?
Does anyone really believe Craig Andersson is the best goalie in the world?

I do think, from what I've seen of him and what I saw in the playoffs last year, that Rask is one of the best goalie.
I also think that Niemi was critically underrated (by myself, included) for his first cup win and should be considered at least at the level of Quick.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Well deserved.

Howard and Monster have about the same ceiling in terms of shutout, lights out performance, but Howard is much MUCH more consistent night in and night out.

There is a reason why Monster is a backup. He can't handle the everyday grind of a starter.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think Rinne is overrated, myself. And even though Quick has a cup, I think he's vastly overrated. But he has that cup.

You've also called Lundqvist overrated. He's overrated the way Datsyuk is.

So with the current top 3ish goalies being overrated in your book, well, not surprising Howard doesn't do it for you.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Quick was better in his playoff run than Rask was in his. How is Quick vastly overrated and Rask one of the best goalies in the world? They both play play behind very good defenses in favorable systems. Not sure how you seperate them in such an extreme manner.

RedWingsNow*

Quick was better in his playoff run than Rask was in his. How is Quick vastly overrated and Rask one of the best goalies in the world? They both play play behind very good defenses in favorable systems. Not sure how you seperate them in such an extreme manner.

I think Quick is good. I just don't see him as "best goalie in the world," like many do.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids

Right now I don't see anyone as a clear cut top dog.

There's a large group of guys who can heat up at any given day/week/month/year and play way over their head. Quick has done it twice, now he's back to earth. Varlamov is looking pretty good right now. Rinne and Lundqvist are still among the best but are slipping somewhat. Rask is among the best as well but I think he has a lot of support defensively in Boston. It's just a large group of great goalies who take turns at dominating individually. Any one of the top 10ish goalies are included here.

RedWingsNow*

Whoa. You start off so reasonable and end up talking crazy. That escalated quickly.

I've always been somewhat supportive of Jimmy H -- going back to his Maine and GR days.
On the other hand, he just hasn't given me reason to be more than "somewhat" supportive.

If the Jimmy H we see right now is as good as Jimmy gets, I've got no problem cutting ties with him and going with a Mrazek or whoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad