Prospect Info: Jonas Brodin (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
is it selfish of me to want Dumba to have another full year of Sutter as his coach? i mean he made very good strides after his dramatic fall in play after being cut for WJC, not to to mention he would more than likely make team CAN too, which i think would do wonders for exp.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
is it selfish of me to want Dumba to have another full year of Sutter as his coach? i mean he made very good strides after his dramatic fall in play after being cut for WJC, not to to mention he would more than likely make team CAN too, which i think would do wonders for exp.

Yeah, one more reason not to rush him. Let him get another year under Sutter before he starts going through the carousel of pro coaches. A little stability at that age can be a good thing.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Brodin is not yet a top 2 defenceman. I know we all love Brodin and I am a big suporter of his but his 11pts in 45 games is NOT a top2 defenceman point total. If and when he puts up 30-40 points in the upcoming seasons then yes he´s a top 2 defenceman. He will eventually get there but right now he´s not, even if he can play top 2 minutes.

While I would potentially agree with you, if you were using a different criteria for what makes a #2 defenseman, I'm wondering if you don't think Dennis Seidenberg is a #2 defenseman. He has broken 30 points twice in his career, and was on pace for a respectable total this year, but the man rarely breaks 25 points in full seasons, yet I think he's a fine #2 defenseman, and that's on a team in the cup finals.

My point is, while Brodin isn't probably there yet, he is close, and points have nothing to do with it (though his offense is nearly as good as Seidenberg's already).

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not at all.

The reason people want Dumba on the Wild soon is not because his ability is forcing the Wild's hand, but rather because people want to fill a hole on the blueline. And that is a terrible reason to put a young player onto an NHL team.

I think if you put Dumba on the Wild, he's going to get defensively exposed, which is going to hurt is ice time, which is going to hurt his offensive production, which is going to crush his confidence to the point where he's just going to focus on not making a defense mistake, and then we have another ruined prospect on our hand.

I rather him prove that he can be a true #1 Dman at the junior level. Then, take a year or two to prove that he can be a top-pairing AHL Dman. Then, prove that he can be a top-4 Dman at the NHL level.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Not at all.

The reason people want Dumba on the Wild soon is not because his ability is forcing the Wild's hand, but rather because people want to fill a hole on the blueline. And that is a terrible reason to put a young player onto an NHL team.

I think if you put Dumba on the Wild, he's going to get defensively exposed, which is going to hurt is ice time, which is going to hurt his offensive production, which is going to crush his confidence to the point where he's just going to focus on not making a defense mistake, and then we have another ruined prospect on our hand.

I rather him prove that he can be a true #1 Dman at the junior level. Then, take a year or two to prove that he can be a top-pairing AHL Dman. Then, prove that he can be a top-4 Dman at the NHL level.

I'm in the camp of letting Dumba finish Juniors and then have a year or two in the AHL. His confidence/game tends to depend on his ability to be physically involved. I do not want him to get manhandled or injured at the NHL level and then lose all confidence. Let him fill out, become a force in the AHL while also hopefully learning positioning and the Xs/Os, then bring him up. I see him taking awhile to develop but the patience paying off...

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm in the camp of letting Dumba finish Juniors and then have a year or two in the AHL. His confidence/game tends to depend on his ability to be physically involved. I do not want him to get manhandled or injured at the NHL level and then lose all confidence. Let him fill out, become a force in the AHL while also hopefully learning positioning and the Xs/Os, then bring him up. I see him taking awhile to develop but the patience paying off...

I see no reason about calling him too quickly. Reason? We aren't going to make a playoff run soley based on him playing.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
It's all going to depend on what the Wild bring in on the back end over the offseason in relation to where Dumba plays.

If no significant improvement is added, Dumba's skill set and hopeful progression over the offseason is likely going to make for a tough decision for the front office. I don't think it's exactly a given he heads back to Red Deer. He'll certainly be up for his 9 games and I wouldn't be shocked if he sees ice in most, if not all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad