Jon Merrill Signed, To Play In Albany

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Halischuk and Teddy aren't similar players at all. They're both undersized and good skaters but they play completely different games.
Allow me to say this.

You`re right about the comparison, but I do believe he`s right about Tedenby. I really think he could (doesn`t mean he would) find success in the West.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Allow me to say this.

Yoù`re right about the comparison, but I do believe he`s right about Tedenby. I really think he could (doesn`t mean he would) find success in the West.

Tedenby plaing in the western conference would get crushed on his very 1st shift. The West is wayyyyy more physical then the East, no?

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Tedenby plaing in the western conference would get crushed on his very 1st shift. The West is wayyyyy more physical then the East, no?
At first I thought this was sarcasm. Is that a serious question? You don`t watch the other conference much, do you? Depends, but the most important thing is that he could do well for some bottom feeder team with less structure. I can`t see him do that here. Which brings up a good point. I have no idea why we drafted him in the first place, but then again, let`s stay on topic.

Merrill, much like Larsson, needs to work on his sense of urgency.

apice3*

Both are kids though, and that will come. Having patience at a young age is so much better and more rare than having a sense of urgency. Most kids try to do to much at once.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Both are kids though, and that will come. Having patience at a young age is so much better and more rare than having a sense of urgency. Most kids try to do to much at once.
This I absolutely agree with. I was just saying.

It also wouldn`t hurt if he worked on his physical game a little bit. He`ll never be throwing crushing hits, but for a guy of his size, he`s pretty soft. That wouldn`t bother me if he wasn`t getting outmuscled quite often.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
There are several areas to Merrill's game that need work. Good to get a good look in Albany for the season though. Hopefully he gets mentored by a good vet though.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

At first I thought this was sarcasm. Is that a serious question? You don`t watch the other conference much, do you? Depends, but the most important thing is that he could do well for some bottom feeder team with less structure. I can`t see him do that here. Which brings up a good point. I have no idea why we drafted him in the first place, but then again, let`s stay on topic.

Merrill, much like Larsson, needs to work on his sense of urgency.

Well, I do have a life... and no, being on the east coast and all, I don't stay up until 1h00am to watch the Sharks play the Preds ;)

I was under the impression that the West was more physical then the East, so if that's not the case, then let's send his ass to the Western conference and be done with it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I wanted josefson really bad. I wasn't aware of him being made of glass though and I think that's the issue here. He hasn't had much development time, alot of hospital time :laugh: If he can stay healthy and get a year or 2 in albany he'll be fine.

I wanted Palmieri. But our scouts go out of their way to pass over good players from NJ.

I'd take Carlson over Larsson at this point.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I wanted Palmieri. But our scouts go out of their way to pass over good players from NJ.

Carlson over Larsson is absurd but I do agree with you that passing up on homegrown talent, like Carlson and Palmieri, is something I don't understand.

I will never understand why we took Tedenby over Carlson, knowing the kid is from NJ, idolised Scott Stevens and our need for a right handed d-men that can move the puck real well was a glaring need at the time.

Oh well, let's just hope that our little water bug will bring us something solid in a possible trade (package with picks/prospects/roster player) cause I don't see him cracking our "structured" system anytime soon.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
I was under the impression that the West was more physical then the East, so if that's not the case, then let's send his ass to the Western conference and be done with it.

I've seen different opinions on the matter, so I wouldn't say there's a right or wrong answer on which conference is more physical.

I know LA fans mentioned that Lokti would probably be more successful here than in LA because of the West being a more physical conference than the East. Don't know how much you can look into that though.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area

It also wouldn`t hurt if he worked on his physical game a little bit. He`ll never be throwing crushing hits, but for a guy of his size, he`s pretty soft. That wouldn`t bother me if he wasn`t getting outmuscled quite often.

They're both just varying degrees of Paul Martin :laugh:

Not physical at all, very mobile but not fast, good first pass and creative in the offensive zone. Larsson has improved when dealing with speed but he can still get better. This will be an issue with Merrill as well due to his lack of quickness. His best assets are his superb passing and his ability to get shots through from the point.

I know larsson's pt total is small this year, but I'm glad the staff has him focusing on improving his defensive game this year after being tossed to the wolves last year.

At the end of the day I think Severson winds up being the best out of all of them...

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Carlson over Larsson is absurd but I do agree with you that passing up on homegrown talent, like Carlson and Palmieri, is something I don't understand.

I will never understand why we took Tedenby over Carlson, knowing the kid is from NJ, idolised Scott Stevens and our need for a right handed d-men that can move the puck real well was a glaring need at the time.

Oh well, let's just hope that our little water bug will bring us something solid in a possible trade (package with picks/prospects/roster player) cause I don't see him cracking our "structured" system anytime soon.

Based on what? That Larsson is younger?

Carlson has played much better starting from his rookie season compared to Larsson thus far.
He's a better skater, has a much better shot and plays with much more intensity and urgency.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Based on what? That Larsson is older?

Carlson has played much better starting from his rookie season compared to Larsson thus far.
He's a better skater, has a much better shot and plays with much more intensity and urgency.

Larsson isn't older than Carlson. He's over 2 years younger. Actually Carlson is almost a full 3 years older. Larsson was born in November 92, Carlson was born January 90.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Larsson isn't older than Carlson. He's over 2 years younger. Actually Carlson is almost a full 3 years older. Larsson was born in November 92, Carlson was born January 90.

I know that, fixed it right away.

Carlson is just better though.

It's still mind boggling that we took Teds over Carlson.

apice3*

Larsson or Merrill?

Last year, I recall Larsson attempting to throw a bunch of open ice hip checks. I also recall literally every single one resulting in a 2 on 1.

He's been throwing the hip check a good amount this year, but in smarter, low risk situations. I really can't complain how the team has coached him to this point, although I do wish he was more involved in that playoff run.

Based on what? That Larsson is younger?

What on Earth are you saying? This is probably the most untrue thing I've read on HF this week.

Someone needs to bookmark these posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What on Earth are you saying? This is probably the most untrue thing I've read on HF this week.

Someone needs to bookmark these posts.

What's not true in YOUR opinion?

It's easy to make blanket statements without backing it up.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Where you expecting anything different... honestly?

Nah, I've come to realize that there are many fans who don't see anything wrong with our team, players, coaches, scouts or anything else hockey related.

And that's fine, I just agree to respectfully disagree with them when I feel so on a particular topic.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Nah, I've come to realize that there are many fans who don't see anything wrong with our team, players, coaches, scouts or anything else hockey related.

And that's fine, I just agree to respectfully disagree with them when I feel so on a particular topic.

Posters can have different opinions... lord knows I have different opinions all the time but if that's the case, at least explain why you see something differently instead of posting wise ass remarks that don't lead to anything.

That's the least you can do to back up a point.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Posters can have different opinions... lord knows I have different opinions all the time but if that's the case, at least explain why you see something differently instead of posting wise ass remarks that don't lead to anything.

That's the least you can do to back up a point.

I hear you, i don't let them get to me, I take the high road.

We all want the same thing, for the Devils to win, be a great team and hoist the Cup.

We're naturally going to disagree on what's the best way to get to that end point.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Larsson or Merrill?

Last year, I recall Larsson attempting to throw a bunch of open ice hip checks. I also recall literally every single one resulting in a 2 on 1.

He's been throwing the hip check a good amount this year, but in smarter, low risk situations. I really can't complain how the team has coached him to this point, although I do wish he was more involved in that playoff run.

What I really like about Larsson this year is that when guys try and go wide on him, he's taking them into the boards.

Also, I don't get the Carlson comparison. We have a LOT of prospects that could end up like Carlson in Severson, Gelinas, and Merrill.

apice3*

What's not true in YOUR opinion?

It's easy to make blanket statements without backing it up.

Pretty much all of it. Taking Carlson over Larsson would be asinine. Even the morons on the main board would think that's ridiculous.

We all want the same thing, for the Devils to win, be a great team and hoist the Cup.

Honestly, there are some people here would have complained about Volchenkov's contract within 10 seconds of hoisting the Cup if we pulled it off last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad