jon merill

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm sure the Devils are pleased with his progress at Michigan. He impressed in the NCAA tournament.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I have been debating Merrill, Faulk and Forbort with a couple friend, just from WJ and a few college games. Anyone who sees them regularly have an opinion?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
i remember hearing that he was a first round talent, but somehow bombed the interviews before the draft and dropped to the second round.

Some teams didn't like how he answered questions about his mistakes that led to his suspension from the USNTDP during his draft year, but there could have been other character issues as well I'm not sure.

I think lots of people considered him a top 20 talent, so the Devils I'm sure are very pleased with that pick and he has been improving a lot since the draft.

Young kids make mistakes, but I'm sure he learned from them and will be just fine for the Devils. They could definitely use him a great deal in a couple years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some teams didn't like how he answered questions about his mistakes that led to his suspension from the USNTDP during his draft year, but there could have been other character issues as well I'm not sure.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1076474

Jon Merrill said:
I'm a freshman in a bigger, stronger, faster game, and you get up for every game, because you only play 35, 40 games, or whatever it is. Every game is a big game. Whereas in the CHL, you're playing in Sudbury on a Tuesday night, and how do you get up for that, you know?

There were probably the standard questions about why he went the college route rather than the OHL (3rd round pick by Plymouth off the top of my head). I think teams were potentially turned off by that comment along with Merrill having a relatively disappointing draft year before he turned it on at the U-18 tourney. Teams maybe weren't ready to use a high pick on a guy they worried had a questionable motor.

So far he looks pretty solid, his puck handling abilities look great so far. Defensively, still needs some work which is standard for virtually all 19 year old D. For a guy that's 6'3, you'd like him to be more physical but he's pretty good using his long reach.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This year has been incredible for him. From the WJC to NCAA tournament and him taking on such a prominent role on a good team as a freshman; You really couldn't've written a better script for Merrill.

Jaysfanatic*

I'll laugh if he becomes a legit #1 d-man with the Devils.

Then they hands down won the Kovalchuk deal.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He was awful at the WJC and i prefer Faulk over both

He wasnt "awful" for the whole tourney. He was awful against Canada.

Thats why I hate the WJC. People put so much stock into 4 or 5 games.

If you asked me, the way he played in the CCHA and NCAAs is more indicative. He's got top-2 abilities.

I still think he's two or three years away.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

If you asked me, the way he played in the CCHA and NCAAs is more indicative. He's got top-2 abilities.

Without a doubt. He'll do at least one more year at Michigan, and then some time in the AHL to acclimate himself to the pro game. The Devils don't rush prospects.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

Glad to hear that. The Devs could use a solid defense and Merrill only adds to the pool

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Merrill played fine at the WJC. And he was very good in the NCAA Tournament for Michigan. Red Berenson has compared his style of play to Nicklas Lidstrom. High praise, to be sure.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I love Jon Merrill and he's one of the few non-Sharks prospects I follow and hope to see succeed in the NHL some day. :)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I love Jon Merrill and he's one of the few non-Sharks prospects I follow and hope to see succeed in the NHL some day. :)

have to agree.

sometimes the draft interviewing process is flawed and here is such a case.

so what if the kid didnt answer certain questions the way many would have liked, I think he is a kid with a lot of heart and certainly a kid with a ton of talent.

he said he wouldnt be able to get up for games in the CHL as he would for Michigan (that is not exact but pretty much the jist), and people got all bent out of shape for it. his dream was to be a Wolverine and he had no desire to play in the CHL. Now some teams are really looking foolish, because Merrill as it stands should not have fallen out of the top 20.

one of my favorite players, I hope he continues to shine and make the Devils look like geniuses again with Parise version 2.0 (drafted lower then where he should have gone).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
have to agree.

sometimes the draft interviewing process is flawed and here is such a case.

so what if the kid didnt answer certain questions the way many would have liked, I think he is a kid with a lot of heart and certainly a kid with a ton of talent.

he said he wouldnt be able to get up for games in the CHL as he would for Michigan (that is not exact but pretty much the jist), and people got all bent out of shape for it. his dream was to be a Wolverine and he had no desire to play in the CHL. Now some teams are really looking foolish, because Merrill as it stands should not have fallen out of the top 20.

one of my favorite players, I hope he continues to shine and make the Devils look like geniuses again with Parise version 2.0 (drafted lower then where he should have gone).

No easier way to get a Canadian team to pass on you than take a dig at the CHL....He didn't only say he couldn't get up for games there, he also called the NCAA a "bigger, stronger, faster game".

I personally think what he said was more measured than some might think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad