Confirmed with Link: Jon Hamm is a beauty thread

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
In the spring of 1983 I was almost 12 and I visited Burroughs for a day because my parents were trying to decide whether to stay in our house in U City and I'd go to Burroughs, or move into Clayton for public school. I had already taken the real SAT a couple years earlier. I think I thought my day there was ok & must've given lukewarm report. We moved to Clayton. That is my story of how I am not Jon Hamm's Burroughs classmate.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
In the spring of 1983 I was almost 12 and I visited Burroughs for a day because my parents were trying to decide whether to stay in our house in U City and I'd go to Burroughs, or move into Clayton for public school. I had already taken the real SAT a couple years earlier. I think I thought my day there was ok & must've given lukewarm report. We moved to Clayton. That is my story of how I am not Jon Hamm's Burroughs classmate.
Welcome back.

I went to high school in Omaha, Nebraska. That is my story of how I am not Jon Hamm’s Burroughs classmate.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Welcome back.

I went to high school in Omaha, Nebraska. That is my story of how I am not Jon Hamm’s Burroughs classmate.
Thanks. Short stay for a couple weeks. When I think of the missed opportunity with Hamm is it mercenarily in regard to Blues tickets that could be bearing fruit right now. I had that puck on my stick and it hopped over. ;)

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
"Soo many high fives."

I missed that game. I watched the first period, 1-1. First intermission, out of nowhere, our 13 year old male cat started crying and having distress. I immediately stopped paying attention, got my partner, and raced an hour south to the nearest 24hr animal hospital. It was an ordeal. We barely made it, but we made him comfortable and got to say goodbye. Ringo was the warmest thing and loved to let you pet his belly. Later, we were driving back home in a haze and she asked me if I wanted to know what happened, someone had just texted her the result. I assumed it had long been over but hadn't yet thought to look. He passed within 5 min of the goal.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
"Soo many high fives."

I missed that game. I watched the first period, 1-1. First intermission, out of nowhere, our 13 year old male cat started crying and having distress. I immediately stopped paying attention, got my partner, and raced an hour south to the nearest 24hr animal hospital. It was an ordeal. We barely made it, but we made him comfortable and got to say goodbye. Ringo was the warmest thing and loved to let you pet his belly. Later, we were driving back home in a haze and she asked me if I wanted to know what happened, someone had just texted her the result. I assumed it had long been over but hadn't yet thought to look. He passed within 5 min of the goal.
Very sorry for your loss, losing a loved family pet is very hard, I had close to the same experience with our oldest pug. Had to race to 30 mins north to the closest 24 hour animal hospital in the middle of the night and had to end up putting her down. That was 7 years ago, we brought her home and had her cremated. She still sets in her urn in between where my wife and I set in the family room today.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017

You took the SAT when you were 10?

Reactions: STLomacneko

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range

Horrible realization to me when I began applying for college.
ACT is only usable for 4 years. My ACT score I took when I was 13 years of age (which was a nice score, mid 30's) was not viable so I had to get that renewed. Took it a few times my senior year trying to get 36...nope, never got perfect.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Horrible realization to me when I began applying for college.
ACT is only usable for 4 years. My ACT score I took when I was 13 years of age (which was a nice score, mid 30's) was not viable so I had to get that renewed. Took it a few times my senior year trying to get 36...nope, never got perfect.
I overslept for the ACT my senior year. Woke up and tried to coax my car to start in the bitter cold. Made it to the testing center in sweats, with bed head....I don’t think I even had time to brush my teeth. I couldn’t make sense of the seating arrangement, and the proctor had to interrupt her spiel to ask that “young man to sit down”. While doing that, I saw an old girlfriend from Jr High for the first time in years.

First section was math, last section was English. I gradually woke up as the test went along.

When I got my scores back, I’d aced the math with a perfect score 36 (not sure if the numerical scores work the same now) and got progressively lower each next section with English (it was called something else) being my lowest score.

I’m pretty sure I never even used my ACTs in applying to schools since most of the ones I looked at preferred the SAT.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I overslept for the ACT my senior year. Woke up and tried to coax my car to start in the bitter cold. Made it to the testing center in sweats, with bed head....I don’t think I even had time to brush my teeth. I couldn’t make sense of the seating arrangement, and the proctor had to interrupt her spiel to ask that “young man to sit down”. While doing that, I saw an old girlfriend from Jr High for the first time in years.

First section was math, last section was English. I gradually woke up as the test went along.

When I got my scores back, I’d aced the math with a perfect score 36 (not sure if the numerical scores work the same now) and got progressively lower each next section with English (it was called something else) being my lowest score.

I’m pretty sure I never even used my ACTs in applying to schools since most of the ones I looked at preferred the SAT.

I really hadn't planned on it myself, but one of my choices made the ACT not an option. (Either Vanderbilt or Chicago U I think)
Which was an issue because as I have noted before, I disliked the ACT (Plus looking back in more detail I was busy absolutely pissing off a guidance counselor and an administrator who just about ordered me to take the flipping ACT for their own selfish reasons) and thought my score would carry over.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Well it sure was. They gave the test to 6th graders and a handful of 7th and 5th graders. I was a 5th and did well on the SAT and went into the program. You too?!
Yep, tho I was involved the program in the late 1990’s and it had probably changed a bit by then.

No SAT’s, rather entry was secured by scoring in the top X% on math sections in standardized tests, then taking an additional math oriented test. I did a summer program after 5th grade then a year long after school program during 6th grade as well.

EDIT: now that I think about it, maybe the second test was SAT related? Don’t think it was, but might’ve been...can’t say for certain. Seems like a lifetime ago!

Last edited:
Reactions: PocketNines

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Yep, tho I was involved the program in the late 1990’s and it had probably changed a bit by then.

No SAT’s, rather entry was secured by scoring in the top X% on math sections in standardized tests, then taking an additional math oriented test. I did a summer program after 5th grade then a year long after school program during 6th grade as well.
That's really cool. I did not expect to hear the program name again. I did all that work, had the option of Burroughs if I'd wanted it, and now Jon's taking his high school friends and teachers to games. [Adam Sandler you blew it gif]

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
EDIT: now that I think about it, maybe the second test was SAT related? Don’t think it was, but might’ve been...can’t say for certain. Seems like a lifetime ago!

No guarantee of this, but as I recall the math portion of the SAT (minus some of the higher level stuff) was a basis for the MEGSSS exam. Th.e "second exam" you took was likely an older (>5 years) version of an SAT math exam.

I'm sure you are just simply ecstatic to hear that.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
No guarantee of this, but as I recall the math portion of the SAT (minus some of the higher level stuff) was a basis for the MEGSSS exam. Th.e "second exam" you took was likely an older (>5 years) version of an SAT math exam.

I'm sure you are just simply ecstatic to hear that.
Haha ecstatic might be a stretch, but do appreciate the info! Did you participate in the program as well?

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Haha ecstatic might be a stretch, but do appreciate the info! Did you participate in the program as well?
Not by choice.
Had to get in the high school of my (parents) choice.

You just about had to to get into JB. (I swear, if I hear one comment regarding "Did you know Hamm?" things could get unpleasant)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad