Jon Cooper

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This is true. The Tampa board's GDT was absolutely vicious.

*scoff*

You should've seen it last year. We're winning night after night with an AHL lineup after being ravaged by injuries for 3 months and all they could do was scream for Cooper's head, blame him that his system was broken, and blame him for not beating the Hawks as if that was a year everyone expected us to win it all when going in we would've been happy with a 2nd round/ECF loss

Who knew getting rid of old junk like Filppula and replacing it with a shiny Brayden Point and a goalie that's hurt every year for playoff time for Vasy would yield such results

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I guess the one issue I have is: Why is such a talented team getting thoroughly outplayed by the Caps? Why is this such an inconsistent team? Not sure if that's on Cooper though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
*scoff*

You should've seen it last year. We're winning night after night with an AHL lineup after being ravaged by injuries for 3 months and all they could do was scream for Cooper's head, blame him that his system was broken, and blame him for not beating the Hawks as if that was a year everyone expected us to win it all when going in we would've been happy with a 2nd round/ECF loss

Who knew getting rid of old junk like Filppula and replacing it with a shiny Brayden Point and a goalie that's hurt every year for playoff time for Vasy would yield such results

You constantly make things up, Cooper was never under fire when injuries were heavy his, criticism was during the times we were heathly and blew games that couldn't be made up when injuries came about.

Your last sentence is stupid, you're saying Bishop never yeiled results? You do know that a big reason for last seasons failure was because neither goalie played up to Bishops previous standard right? Also what results? Tampa hadn't gotten any further with Vasi then with Bishop who was in the SCF... #factcheck

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I guess the one issue I have is: Why is such a talented team getting thoroughly outplayed by the Caps? Why is this such an inconsistent team? Not sure if that's on Cooper though.

Why doesn't Vegas suck and play to their skill level on paper? Of course that's on Cooper, you can only get so far with talent alone.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You constantly make things up, Cooper was never under fire when injuries were heavy his, criticism was during the times we were heathly and blew games that couldn't be made up when injuries came about.

Your last sentence is stupid, you're saying Bishop never yeiled results? You do know that a big reason for last seasons failure was because neither goalie played up to Bishops previous standard right? Also what results? Tampa hadn't gotten any further with Vasi then with Bishop who was in the SCF... #factcheck
LMFAO you keep telling yourself that. Everyone freaked out when we were about .500 with a healthy team for a few weeks after New Year's and lost a few games to bad teams. Meanwhile Bishop got hurt AGAIN after spending 2 months losing players right and left. Vasy was letting in 2 beach balls a night regardless of how bad the defense was and the rest of the way all we could hear was whining and bitching about revisionist history of not starting our season better and Cooper's inexcusable decision to keep playing Vasy despite his struggles as if an AHL goalie gave us a better chance. Despite it all we missed the playoffs by a point. And if you think Bishop would still be healthy by now then you have more faith than I do. All said and done you guys wanted him thrown to the barracks because we lost like 6 games we could have won just so we could go into the playoffs and get fed to the Capitals in the 1st round with Brayden Point as our #1C -who months prior people were in favor of sending back to the AHL. Oh yeah and before you cite your thread where you took a survey, it lasted like 2 days in November and Point played a whole other month

PS: ask Flyer fans what they think of Filppula. I'm sure they share your glowing endorsement

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
LMFAO you keep telling yourself that. Everyone freaked out when we were about .500 with a healthy team for a few weeks after New Year's and lost a few games to bad teams. Meanwhile Bishop got hurt AGAIN after spending 2 months losing players right and left. Vasy was letting in 2 beach balls a night regardless of how bad the defense was and the rest of the way all we could hear was whining and *****ing about revisionist history of not starting our season better and Cooper's inexcusable decision to keep playing Vasy despite his struggles as if an AHL goalie gave us a better chance. Despite it all we missed the playoffs by a point.

And if you think Bishop would still be healthy by now then you have more faith than I do.

PS: ask Flyer fans what they think of Filppula. I'm sure they share your glowing endorsement

Do you even know what revisionist history is? How is it revising anything if we had a terrible start to the season with a healthy NHL squad then missed the playoffs by 1 point because we didn't do well at the beginning? Please do tell.

Filppula as a player wasn't the problem, Filppula's usage by the coach (Cooper) was the problem. Revisionist history is you pointing finger and saying Filppula sucked last season when he actually increased his stock for the trade that season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Joking aside - I've been among the most critical of the Tampa fans on Cooper. He was frustrating to no end in a lot of ways.

But he came in as a rookie coach. He leaned heavily on a) players he coached in Norfolk/Syracuse, and b) veterans. He did this at times to his detriment (see above Morrow as the sixth skater incident). We regularly felt like we underachieved in the regular season (last season being the most notable example).

This season he has clearly developed as a coach. His roster decisions have been fantastic. He has the players buying into the system. My criticisms of him are fairly minor compared to most years. Win or lose, I think he's getting the most out of this roster.

Rick Bowness on the other hand... he handles our PK and the passivity of it when compared to how aggressive we generally are... I'd be okay letting him go.

Rick Bowness handles the strategy and is a key component to the coaching staff while Cooper is a players coach he is not the one handling these aspects of the game. Forcheck, neutral zone regroup etc. I think they are a pretty good team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Fleury playing out of his mind is the difference. You act as if Gallant can take any team to the finals when that is not the case. He is just another coach who knows to play his stars and knows how to motivate them.

How someone watches vegas and comes to this conclusion is mind blowing to me. Vegas had no stars to begin with, he developed these players into those roles. If it was just so easy to play your stars and win they dont even make the playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Do you even know what revisionist history is? How is it revising anything if we had a terrible start to the season with a healthy NHL squad then missed the playoffs by 1 point because we didn't do well at the beginning? Please do tell.

Filppula as a player wasn't the problem, Filppula's usage by the coach was the problem. Revisionist history is you pointing finger and saying Filppula sucked last season when he actually increased his stock for the trade that season.

So what results have we so far this playoffs that have surpassed the previous iteration? I see a roster that's significantly better than their 2016 counterpart being outplayed by a team worse then the one we lost to in 2016.

We can review everything easily. We started the season out beating Detroit, we were up and down but started to play better until Stamkos got hurt November 15th followed by several important players til roughly January. After a certain point we made Tampacuse jokes again. Then everyone's healthy, time to charge. We don't play particularly well but we also looked like a team that hadn't played together for a while. Idk maybe because they were hurt? Annndddd Bishop gets hurt again. Perfect timing. The team defense falls off a cliff because Bishop isn't there to play the puck anymore, Vasy lets in beach balls, Bolts fans demand Cooper's head because he keeps playing Vasy. This goes on until we catch fire post trade deadline in the last months of the season and miss the playoffs by a point.

Meanwhile Cooper's firing was justified by an easy path to the ECF the year prior despite taking the Pens to 7 games without our #1C for 6 games, starting goalie and 2D playing on one leg. But losing something like 6 games we shouldn't have, some with a healthy team that was defeated emotionally and had no captain on top of it? UNACCEPTABLE! INEXCUSABLE! THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN! And you of all people accuse me of being hyperbolic. Yeah we lost some games we shouldn't have. Big f***ing deal. You know why? Everyone could see how we were lacking direction. We were a rudderless ship. We came into games having lost before the puck was even dropped. We were mentally shot.

Apparently fixing all that was a coaching issue and apparently Cooper was losing the room (massive LOL's) according to skeptics due to unpreparedness to play. Why even have captains if that's a coach's job? Funny enough Callahan and Stamkos travel with the team and we go from last place in the East to wild card contender and did it in about a matter of a month. We were fearless and won games with Kucherov, Drouin and Hedman being our catalysts almost every night. Major... MAJOR LOL's for Cooper getting criticized for doubling down on defense during our predictable offensive funks too. I remember once seeing a comparison of Cooper playing the 80's Oilers like the 90's Devils.

As for Filppula I'm not talking about him anymore. Either take yourself to the Flyers boards like I have and talk to them about how complacent Dave Hakstol is in his utilization and how Filppula accomplishes so little with with much ice time or better yet watch him do it yourself. We needed him to step up and he didn't until Brayden Point decided to do it himself.

Funny how Cooper's system magically fixed itself post TDL by doing the same thing he always has and things were better as soon as we got better players. Not like Gourde and Point were a MASSIVE upgrade to Namestnikov and Filppula. Nope... nothing to do with players, locker room mentality and on ice talent here. Just Sunny talking out his ass again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad