Jokerit Helsinki 2015/2016 Thread (Part 2)

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Once again, Jokerit was just too schematic with their game. Their grind works in the RS, against bad teams or teams that are good but don't follow their systems so close. When they had to play against Torpedo, a well-coached team with several guys who can make unorthodox plays, it was very visible.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Jokerit is unambitious team. During regulars any team that really wanted could beat them. I thought their attitude would change in playoff. I was wrong.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
In the end it's hard to win this kind of physical and demanding series when "half" of your team is injured. Playoff type players like Jormakka, Huhtala, Väänänen, Pöysti, Talaja, Korpikari were needed.

Torpedo had more heart in the game and the one poster who said Jokerit lacks creativity, it's true.

Better luck next season with Jukka Jalonen's roster.

Over and out.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Lacking heart, horrible PP. Two worst things. Guys just stading with the puck for long times. Puck or palyers didint move on the PP.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Lacking heart, horrible PP. Two worst things. Guys just stading with the puck for long times. Puck or palyers didint move on the PP.

I wonder why? Was Westerlund unable to motivate them? Maybe Jokerit needs someone like Raimo Summanen?

od71

Apr 8, 2012
I don't think they lacked heart, it was not so. It was toughest series this playoff this season so far. Yes, sometimes it was rude like in a war when emotions prevail. The series could have turned either way. It was very close.
Kudos to finnish fans who had guts to congratulate Torpedo.
Jokerit made me want to watch them next season.

PS. Looking forward to CSKA-Torpedo playoff games. It's going to be bloodbath

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
http://www.iltalehti.fi/khl/2016030321210825_jr.shtml

Atm they have 20 contracts signed for next season. Roster building is still going.

These players already had contract for next season: Jesper B. Jensen, Peter Regin, Pekka Jormakka, Jesse Joensuu and Roope Talaja. They have done contract extensions with some players whose contract ended to this season.

Player budget will be similar like before.

So far looks like the change will be huge which I like. Depends obviously on those contract extensions.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
The problems were in my opinion.

1. Injuries. Jokerit were missing Kapanen, Larsen, Ohtamaa, Väänänen, Huhtala, Talaja in the most important matches.
2. Bad powerplay in key matches. Against Torpedo Jokerit had plenty of powerplay and should have scored in them.
3. Motivation problems. There were a bunch of matches during the season the team was off.
4. Pelletier, Kennedy and Olimb were busts. They all failed to make a impact.
5. Judging. There were a lot of bad calls in the Torpedo series.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
You expect Jokerit's roster will drastically change for the next season?

Yes there will be major changes. Some guys like Karlsson, Larsen and Kozun will probably go to NHL or bigger KHL teams and some of the old guard will leave. I think Väänänen and Rita will retire and Kapanen, Aaltonen and Hagman will go to Liiga.

Apparently Ryan Zapolski will be the #1 goaltender next season. There are some rumors of new players but nothing solid.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Judging from Kozun's AMA on Reddit, I honestly believe he didn't care much about Jokerit or his success in Finland. When asked about NHL, he went ecstatic; however, when people asked questions about living in Finland or playing for Jokerit, his answers were mostly rounded and superficial. I don't wanna be this "PSYCHOLOGY GUY" judging everything based on player mentality but it is obvious that some guys at Jokerit just doesn't care much.

Clean the wounds and come back even stronger next season. I hope it will not be the last season for Jokerit. Losing this team in my opinion is kinda losing the chance to expand into north.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Judging from Kozun's AMA on Reddit, I honestly believe he didn't care much about Jokerit or his success in Finland. When asked about NHL, he went ecstatic; however, when people asked questions about living in Finland or playing for Jokerit, his answers were mostly rounded and superficial. I don't wanna be this "PSYCHOLOGY GUY" judging everything based on player mentality but it is obvious that some guys at Jokerit just doesn't care much.

Clean the wounds and come back even stronger next season. I hope it will not be the last season for Jokerit. Losing this team in my opinion is kinda losing the chance to expand into north.

Cool. I have one guestion (yes it is serious): How to find interesting things in reddit? :help:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Jalonen plays with much more heart usually than defensive Erkka. I want to see heart next season. Pelletier ect were horrible signings. Heart was the biggest problem. Was I the only one who noticed how Jokerit actually woke up just for game 5 in hartwall? Even Henrik Karlsson was looking stoppy, trying to look like star, untill game 5, where he showed some heart, too.

For gods sake, we need that Finnish top goalie. Nothing against Karlsson, but he just plays the %:nt style, and looks lazy doing it.. I want to see hybrid style goalie.

Jati

Jan 30, 2011

I read the AMA and I have to disagree with you. He spoke very positively about Jokerit and season so far. Yeah, a lot of it was just hockey jargon, but Kozun always worked hard during the season and was probably our best forward in the playoffs. Also, NHL is always the place where most of hockey players want to play, especially north american ones.

Here's the AMA btw:
https://www.reddit.com/r/leafs/comments/46qdie/hey_rleafs_former_maple_leaf_brandon_kozun_here/

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I read the AMA and I have to disagree with you. He spoke very positively about Jokerit and season so far. Yeah, a lot of it was just hockey jargon, but Kozun always worked hard during the season and was probably our best forward in the playoffs. Also, NHL is always the place where most of hockey players want to play, especially north american ones.

Here's the AMA btw:
https://www.reddit.com/r/leafs/comments/46qdie/hey_rleafs_former_maple_leaf_brandon_kozun_here/

I don't know, he did not sound so enthusiastic about Jokerit to me. Of course, that's just my personal view and opinion, and I definitely cannot know what Kozun thinks of work ethics. For example; some players just do not care about the team at all but they give their best whatever happens. On the other hand, some can die for their team but they do not work enough when it comes to being on the ice.

Sure, almost any player wants to play in NHL but to me it seemed like he was focused on NHL more than KHL play-off ahead of him. He is a good and hard-working player, that's for sure; however, at the moment, lacks this "biting" thing which Jokerit needs desperately.

Cool. I have one guestion (yes it is serious): How to find interesting things in reddit? :help:

I am not good at finding them either, in fact I cannot recommend a single subreddit about hockey... The only subreddit I regularly follow is polandball and it's just awesome.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Any chance Jokerit can sign one of Finnish NHL goalies ?

Chance for backström, but it would be a gamble. I think Kärpät takes that gamble if some one, at least there is the comeback value for hc fans.

Other than that, not sure. Some NHL backup level goalie with an outside chance perhpas.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Any chance Jokerit can sign one of Finnish NHL goalies ?

Zero. Next season's goalies are Zapolski -Helenius.

Chance for backström, but it would be a gamble. I think Kärpät takes that gamble if some one, at least there is the comeback value for hc fans.

Other than that, not sure. Some NHL backup level goalie with an outside chance perhpas.

Bäckström is a share holder/co-owner of HIFK, probably not much chance of him playing anywhere else in Finland. Retirement might be more likely.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Zero. Next season's goalies are Zapolski -Helenius.

Bäckström is a share holder/co-owner of HIFK, probably not much chance of him playing anywhere else in Finland. Retirement might be more likely.

Not zero. Helenius can be sold, I don't see why would any one believe in him at KHL at this point. Two strong goalies are needed.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not zero. Helenius can be sold, I don't see why would any one believe in him at KHL at this point. Two strong goalies are needed.

Pretty much every sports media/journalist, even reliable Jatkoaika posters, have been reporting those two as Jokerit goalies for next season. Even Jääkiekkolehti announced Zapolski as a new Jokerit goalie and they hardly ever publish rumors.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I watched very few regular season games of Jokerit, and they seemed to have been playing something resembling soviet style of hockey, nothing any of the Russians teams play anymore.

I didn't see this hockey in play offs, because, well we all know how to shut this type of hockey down from Canada lessons. Could that be the problem? Was the team build for regular season success only?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Pretty much every sports media/journalist, even reliable Jatkoaika posters, have been reporting those two as Jokerit goalies for next season. Even Jääkiekkolehti announced Zapolski as a new Jokerit goalie and they hardly ever publish rumors.

I know about Zapolsky but I don't see them really targeting keeping Helenius. They might keep him, if they see better option they might move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad