Joker Andersson

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Potential, generally speaking and in the sense that when he hits his mark he has the ability to be a game changer from the lower lines. He has already proven that he is a great asset in the 3rd line and can contribute.

The way I see it, he doesn't - at the moment - utilize his skillset in the best manner possible because he is trying to play it safe due to "fear" of being sent down. A few good goals for him and I think we start to see the Jurco from last season.

As for Joker, he is ok. Dull, and replaceable in every sense. He has done ok job so far, but he is not a guy that Wings should hold on to IMO. But he and Jurco aren't in a direct competition anyway, I think it goes down to Nesty and Jurco. I'd keep Jurco up over Nestrasil, but since he isn't waiver eligible we'll sadly see Jurco heading back to Grand Rapids instead. Nestrasil has been pretty good, but I don't see him being a big asset to this team as a regular. Jurco could very well be, he was last season.

I'd really like Nestrasil as the extra forward, but we all know Holland won't waive Cleary in order to open that one spot so he could keep both Jurco and Nesty up.

You seem to be against Smith on the PP and Jurco in the roster. Don't like skill players? :D

I just want the best team on the ice to help us win and get points. Not a "trial" to see who has potential in 2 or 3 years on this team.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
I just want the best team on the ice to help us win and get points. Not a "trial" to see who has potential in 2 or 3 years on this team.

But do you really think Joker and Nestrasil are players that somewho take us over the top, whereas Jurco is nothing but a liability out there?

You've got to give the young potential future stars NHL experience at some point and let them learn from their mistakes. You don't learn to be an NHL'er solely playing against AHL competition.

And again, Jurco already proved he can do it in the big league last year. It's not like we are talking about a prospect who just joined the organisation and hasn't even sniffed at the NHL games.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

When your PP is 2 for 21 and you have a guy that has been dynamite when used on the PP at two previous levels and has the best ability to enter the zone of your D-man statistically and by eye test this isn't much of a trial. Sure they have not seen it yet, but this isn't a huge chance. Your PP is ineffective, Smith the last two times he has hit the ice for a PP over the past two seasons has created a chance for Helm right on the door step and scored a goal. Like I said he has a history of being a fantastic at this role. It needs to be tried.

Jurco does provide some jam to the lineup even when he is not scoring. He fits that line very well, they haven't been getting schooled defensively or anything. He might go down, get some confidence back up, but it isn't like Jurco has been terrible, we just need more out of him. Different than some of the underachievers of seasons past and that is really a good sign. We are arguing about NHL caliber players again.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
But do you really think Joker and Nestrasil are players that somewho take us over the top, whereas Jurco is nothing but a liability out there?

You've got to give the young potential future stars NHL experience at some point and let them learn from their mistakes. You don't learn to be an NHL'er solely playing against AHL competition.

And again, Jurco already proved he can do it in the big league last year. It's not like we are talking about a prospect who just joined the organisation and hasn't even sniffed at the NHL games.

after seeing Andersson / Glendening line control play and eat up big minutes last night, it is clear that 4th line needs to stay together.

As Mickey pointed out, Nestrasil is just so smart defensively, he is an asset to have, and he is getting much better scoring looks than Jurco.

It is clear to me that when one player needs to moved out of the lineup for Datsyuk, it has to be Jurco. He's been the least effective player in his role. You can't take Joker or Nesty out, they are just too damn important in their respective roles.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
after seeing Andersson / Glendening line control play and eat up big minutes last night, it is clear that 4th line needs to stay together.

I would say it is Glendening/Miller that is controlling the play and Andersson is more along for the ride. Glen and Miller are also the top PK tandem.

Andersson is a heads up smart player and has improved his skating a little bit.
BUT he has upgraded from plodder to slightly below average. He still frusteratingly refuses to finish his checks or play physical. He has gotten some scoring chances, but never really came close to scoring. Completely missed the net last night on a point blanker... He has no finish.

Agree with the OP. Andersson is all sorts of meh and while he is smart, he doesn't have that physical trait or talent that needs to be in the lineup.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I would say it is Glendening/Miller that is controlling the play and Andersson is more along for the ride. Glen and Miller are also the top PK tandem.

Andersson is a heads up smart player and has improved his skating a little bit.
BUT he has upgraded from plodder to slightly below average. He still frusteratingly refuses to finish his checks or play physical. He has gotten some scoring chances, but never really came close to scoring. Completely missed the net last night on a point blanker... He has no finish.

Agree with the OP. Andersson is all sorts of meh and while he is smart, he doesn't have that physical trait or talent that needs to be in the lineup.

He doesn't deliver crushing blows or anything but he uses his body. Whole team lacks finish so far beyond the top line. Andersson also set up a couple glorious chances and his linemates didn't capitalize.

I think it sells Andersson short to say he's along for the ride and more and more I think that it's his stride and not his actual speed. If he was actually too slow, he'd be way less effective than he has shown himself to be.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He doesn't deliver crushing blows or anything but he uses his body. Whole team lacks finish so far beyond the top line. Andersson also set up a couple glorious chances and his linemates didn't capitalize.

I think it sells Andersson short to say he's along for the ride and more and more I think that it's his stride and not his actual speed. If he was actually too slow, he'd be way less effective than he has shown himself to be.

No, he's slow. He lost a freaking foot race to Zdeno Chara. :laugh:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
He's an effective 4th-line player. Not sure what people's expectations are of him. Jurco is already in the lineup and Weiss is Cleary-esque right now.

He's not particularly effective. He's average on faceoffs, doesn't play physically, strikes out incessantly on offense, and is the slowest Red Wing on the ice every game.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's not particularly effective. He's average on faceoffs, doesn't play physically, strikes out incessantly on offense, and is the slowest Red Wing on the ice every game.
His footspeed hasn't been an issue this season. Since he's playing winger it doesn't matter if he's average on faceoffs (though he's over 60% so far so he's doing a good job at them so far). He's not relied on offensively but he will definitely chip in some points, he's one of the key reasons the 4th line has looked dangerous offensively imo.

You also don't mention how good he is defensively and how effective he is at winning puck-battles.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
His footspeed hasn't been an issue this season. Since he's playing winger it doesn't matter if he's average on faceoffs (though he's over 60% so far so he's doing a good job at them so far). He's not relied on offensively but he will definitely chip in some points, he's one of the key reasons the 4th line has looked dangerous offensively imo.

You also don't mention how good he is defensively and how effective he is at winning puck-battles.

Your average fan doesn't care about that. They just care about scoring goals or smashing players faces into the boards. Andersson has also helped keep this Penalty Kill at 100%. Yes you read that right, 100%!

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.

He's also been much more physical than he was last year. Going first into the corners and playing the body on guys like Perry.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
are andersson, miller and glendening really better than ferraro and callahan? atleast with ferraro and callahan we will get some hitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad