Johnstown

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Sorry but unlike most here I don't give a lick about the NHL or follow it, okay? I'm sure Pittsburgh wouldn't be playing if it was in Decatur.

You didn't have to. You were specifically told of their involvement multiple times in this various thread. I suppose you don't give a lick about reading or facts, either.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Congratulations to Johnstown! Made it to a game awhile back, Chiefs were playing the Boardwalk Bullies, couple of players were retiring, was nice to see a game there, had family that was originally from the area & make it down there at least once a year.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I don't follow or care about the NHL but they must have lowwwwwwwwww standards if a place like CCWM was considered. Its a great old barn but its even more outdated than that dump known as the Nassau Coliseum.

Did you even pay attention to the rest of the "dumps" that were listed throughout the competition. This competition wasn't designed for areans that have a 10k capacity and had a recent $4m upgrade to their barn. It's a one-off exhibition game for a town that would never see an NHL game or probably even an AHL game. The majority of the arenas listed wouldn't even qualify for a current ECHL arena (emphasizing current due to Johnstown's history in the ECHL and the growth of the league since the league was founded in the late 80s.)

If you think the War Memorial has "lowwwwwwww standards", then what do you think of the Decatur rink? 1400 capacity and 25 foot ceilings.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Did you even pay attention to the rest of the "dumps" that were listed throughout the competition. This competition wasn't designed for areans that have a 10k capacity and had a recent $4m upgrade to their barn. It's a one-off exhibition game for a town that would never see an NHL game or probably even an AHL game. The majority of the arenas listed wouldn't even qualify for a current ECHL arena (emphasizing current due to Johnstown's history in the ECHL and the growth of the league since the league was founded in the late 80s.)

If you think the War Memorial has "lowwwwwwww standards", then what do you think of the Decatur rink? 1400 capacity and 25 foot ceilings.

The Decatur rink yo your point of non pro standards its just that. It looked like a rec rink when I saw it on TV.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
The Decatur rink yo your point of non pro standards its just that. It looked like a rec rink when I saw it on TV.

Looking back at this thread, I'm still unsure why you are upset.

Are you mad that Johnstown is getting a game because of a "silly contest"?
Are you mad that the arenas are so small and shouldn't be hosting an NHL game?
Are you mad that a "silly contest" was decided by an online vote?

If you're not an NHL fan or even a hockey fan, why are you even bothered by it? My "lacking a life" probably took no more than 3-5 minutes total, which granted I probably didn't vote as much as other people. I've done worse things with that kind of time. Sitting on hold waiting for phone support, waiting room time with the dentist, standing in line waiting for reservations. Now that I think of it, I think I voted during all of those instances. But lacking a life because I voted ...right? :shakehead

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I don't follow or care about the NHL but they must have lowwwwwwwwww standards if a place like CCWM was considered. Its a great old barn but its even more outdated than that dump known as the Nassau Coliseum.

Wait, wait. The whole point of the promotion is to highlight community rinks and the small arenas by offering the carrot of an NHL preseason game (and I happened to catch the game in the Canadian contest winning rec rink in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies last year on NHL network). It wasn't to find the nicest place for an NHL preseason game.

Click of a mouse... that's 2015. Random? Somewhat... I was voting for the real rec rinks where the $150,000 would have made a more stark difference. But stupid because it's outdated? It's not stupid. It's the point.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Wait, wait. The whole point of the promotion is to highlight community rinks and the small arenas by offering the carrot of an NHL preseason game (and I happened to catch the game in the Canadian contest winning rec rink in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies last year on NHL network). It wasn't to find the nicest place for an NHL preseason game.

Click of a mouse... that's 2015. Random? Somewhat... I was voting for the real rec rinks where the $150,000 would have made a more stark difference. But stupid because it's outdated? It's not stupid. It's the point.

It should be a rec rink not an actual existent arena. Cambria County War Memorial is just ran poorly and has been for quite awhile. Hard to have sympathy over that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad