Johnson crosscheck to Namestnikov (edit -Suspended 2 games)

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Outside fan who's not a big fan of the Avs because the Duchene situation and a bigger TB fan recently because the skill and speed is crazy. BUTTTT no way a suspension is worthy here. No way he could no the outcome there. He was being reckless yeah and was punished on the ice more then enough for the crime. No need to add more. Injury isn't needed for a punishment but this wasn't intent to injure nor did it lead to 1. If he gets a suspension that could effect future close calls... no need to effect his future over rhis mistake.

So f***ing what? Don't play so recklessly. He should be punished besides just getting penalty minutes. He took a nasty hack at someone and then cross checked someone into the boards and was very lucky he went into them the way he did and not feet first or head first.

The way to send a message is come down hard on people even just being reckless, because reckless play is also how people get hurt besides just intentional dirty play.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Occurred a few weeks ago, Jost was injured on the play. No additional discipline in terms of a suspension.

Reactions: MacBradley

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
This is exactly the sort of thing the NHL should be making an example of with a substantial suspension, there is just no need for this sort of thing in a hockey game. It's the only way players will learn.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
na he was going down as the hit happened. not the same

I see, someone should spell out the clear definition of what merits a suspension in case of a cross check from behind in the boards. It would help me with my own education.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nope...but on the ice they do. Johnson proved that when he turned and braced himself for retribution immediately after he slashed and shoved. He knew he deserved revenge.

And when the opponent doesn't have a guy fit to reply right away (ie the stars on Tampa for that shift) the retribution will be doled out later...and, imo, the only way to discourage Johnson from doing that kind of thing repeatedly is to let him know that he'll be partly responsible for one of teammates getting the brunt of the payback.
Isn't Hedman bigger than Johnson? Pretty sure he can more than hold his own, regardless of star status.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Can someone explain why people keep mentioning the number of feet from the boards he was?

It's been a while since I read the rulebook, but I don't remember any exceptions made if the player is an "excessive" number of feet from the boards. I remember it being something more like if a player's actions cause another player to violently collide with the boards from an unsafe distance, a penalty can be called.

Maybe it's just me, but that'd count bull**** hits from behind where a player would have no time to catch himself before kissing the advertising.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Can someone explain why people keep mentioning the number of feet from the boards he was?

It's been a while since I read the rulebook, but I don't remember any exceptions made if the player is an "excessive" number of feet from the boards. I remember it being something more like if a player's actions cause another player to violently collide with the boards from an unsafe distance, a penalty can be called.

Maybe it's just me, but that'd count bull**** hits from behind where a player would have no time to catch himself before kissing the advertising.

I think you may have highlighted why it was mentioned, although that is the point of contention, whether it is relevant or not.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
And?

There's no maximum unsafe distance. Well, technically there probably is, but it's definitely not below the circles. Maybe above them.

Some NHL players have the capacity to exceed 20mph with relative ease, but the only way they're ever going to be safe enough to do that is when they don't have to worry about rage fueled ****heads trying to punch them a ticket to the hospital. Hits that could conceivably do that exact thing, regardless of the numerical distance from the boards, should probably be considered boarding.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So ****ing what? Don't play so recklessly. He should be punished besides just getting penalty minutes. He took a nasty hack at someone and then cross checked someone into the boards and was very lucky he went into them the way he did and not feet first or head first.

The way to send a message is come down hard on people even just being reckless, because reckless play is also how people get hurt besides just intentional dirty play.
The slash has nothing to do with the play. So no reason to even mention it. And the play wasn't reckless he checked a guy not even hard and that guy lost his footing... yes it's fortunate that he didn't get hurt because personally I wouldn't have blamed.johnson even if there was an injury. The slash makes it look worse because you want to use it as evidense he wanted to "hurt". It was a frustration wack and then really just a push that happens 10000 times a game but players normally don' or lose an edge there. It's all the eyes playing a trick along with emotion for your own players.

I have 0 care for any of the people or teams involved so it's a fair unbiased opinion.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
two games for johnson, hopefully we see some consistency when other players do it (we won't, especially if done by a big market team)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't really have a problem with him getting two games, but what's annoying is how wildly inaccurate the DOPS is. There's been much worse hits this season that didn't even get a fine.

Reactions: MacBradley

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
The DOPS video explains it perfectly. Johnson was in total control of the play and chose to make a reckless dangerous play because he was frustrated.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I see the wildly biased and inconsistent DoPS strikes the Avs down again. Why is it that the Avs players are the only players to to ever get suspended on borderline hits?

I see questionable shit on a weekly basis from teams and players all around the league, but these players on other teams never even get slaps on the wrist. But yet Avs players consistently get handed multi-game suspensions. It's complete garbage and I'm sick of the DoPS sticking to the Avs for no apparent reason.

Don't get me wrong I think Johnson deserved what he got and I'm not arguing that he shouldn't have been suspended. I'm just pissed off that the DoPS has absolutely no rhyme or reason as to who they suspend and who they don't. There is absolutely no consistency in the decisions that are made. I honestly feel like at this point they just throw darts at a dart board to determine punishments. The DoPS is a complete and utter joke in my book.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I see the wildly biased and inconsistent DoPS strikes the Avs down again. Why is it that the Avs players are the only players to to ever get suspended on borderline hits?

I see questionable **** on a weekly basis from teams and players all around the league, but these players on other teams never even get slaps on the wrist. But yet Avs players consistently get handed multi-game suspensions. It's complete garbage and I'm sick of the DoPS sticking to the Avs for no apparent reason.

Don't get me wrong I think Johnson deserved what he got and I'm not arguing that he shouldn't have been suspended. I'm just pissed off that the DoPS has absolutely no rhyme or reason as to who they suspend and who they don't. There is absolutely no consistency in the decisions that are made. I honestly feel like at this point they just throw darts at a dart board to determine punishments. The DoPS is a complete and utter joke in my book.
Which is it? No rhyme or reason or incredibly biased? You contradict yourself repeatedly.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Perfect explanation by the NHL. although it wasn't a hard crosscheck, johnson is in full control of the situation so he knows how fast Namestnokiv is going. it was a pure frustration play. great job by the DOPS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Which is it? No rhyme or reason or incredibly biased? You contradict yourself repeatedly.
It's both. They have no clue what they are doing or there'd be some sort of consistency and they also clearly have a bias towards punishing players on smaller market teams.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
He deserved it. Very dangerous and irresponsible thing for him to do. He could of really did some damage to Namestnikov.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Outside fan who's not a big fan of the Avs because the Duchene situation and a bigger TB fan recently because the skill and speed is crazy. BUTTTT no way a suspension is worthy here. No way he could no the outcome there. He was being reckless yeah and was punished on the ice more then enough for the crime. No need to add more. Injury isn't needed for a punishment but this wasn't intent to injure nor did it lead to 1. If he gets a suspension that could effect future close calls... no need to effect his future over rhis mistake.

You don’t need to know the outcome for a suspension to result.

But let’s be honest here... if you shove a guy 10 feet from the boards, while he is skating full bore, you shouldn’t be surprised if he slams into the boards dangerously.

Reactions: adsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad