Johnny's first mock draft

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
1.edmonton- Adam Larsson
2.ottawa- Gabriel Landeskog(grew up a sens fan, has been compared to alfredsson and mike richards, hes everything the sens roster lacks
3.colorado-Sean Couturier(they already have duchene who is nugent hopkins 2.0, When youv got a big, skilled two way center like sean on the board youv gotta take him.
4.florida-ryan nugent-hopkins(florida is thrilled to have the most skilled forward in the draft slide to them)
5.new york-Jonathan Huberdeau
6.St. lousi-dougie hamilton
7.new jersey-ryan murphy
8. Columbus-Ryan Strome
9.Boston-Tyler Biggs
10.Carolina-Duncan Siemens
11. Bufalo-nathan beauleau
13. Toronto-Mika Zibanejad(Toronto trades up to get the big swedish center that burke covets)
14.new York- Jamie oleksiak
15.Anaheim-David Musil(he will look great next to cam fowler)
16.calgary-Sven beartchi
17.Minnesota-Joel Armia(trade down and another fantastic fin joins the wild)
18.ottawa-mark mcniel(ottawa needs both a center and tough one a that)
19.Dallas-matt puempel
20.Montreal-Boone Jenner
21. Pheonix-Nicklas Jensen
22.chicago-joe morrow
23.edmonton-scott mayfield
24detroit-rocco grimaldi
25.Leafs-Matthew Nieto(this kids speed and skillset will look great on a line with kessel and kadri
26.Tampa-Jonas Brodin he'll look great next to hedman.
27. san jose-phillip danault
28. Washington-brandon saad(washington is thrilled to have saad fall to them)
29. vancouver-Zack phillips

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
1.edmonton- Adam Larsson
2.ottawa- Gabriel Landeskog(grew up a sens fan, has been compared to alfredsson and mike richards, hes everything the sens roster lacks
3.colorado-Sean Couturier(they already have duchene who is nugent hopkins 2.0, When youv got a big, skilled two way center like sean on the board youv gotta take him.
4.florida-ryan nugent-hopkins(florida is thrilled to have the most skilled forward in the draft slide to them)
7.new jersey-ryan murphy
8. Columbus-Ryan Strome
9.Boston-Tyler Biggs
13. Toronto-Mika Zibanejad(Toronto trades up to get the big swedish center that burke covets)
16.calgary-Sven beartchi
19.Dallas-matt puempel
20.Montreal-Boone Jenner
22.chicago-joe morrow
24detroit-rocco grimaldi
25.Leafs-Matthew Nieto(this kids speed and skillset will look great on a line with kessel and kadri

Only 29 picks in the first round? Also this is the worst one I've seen yet, no way is RNH going outside the top two, also Strome isn't sliding down that far either.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Leafs trade up to 13 but keep their second 1st round pick. Highly unlikely

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Only 29 picks in the first round? Also this is the worst one I've seen yet, no way is RNH going outside the top two, also Strome isn't sliding down that far either.

There is absolutely a chance RNH isn't taken in the top 2. But I'm not really a fan of this mock draft either, some poor selections after 15th.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
burke has a reputation for being very good at trading up in the draft, if he really wants to hel find a way with something around our philly 1st, 2nd round pick and a decent prospect

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Someone give the Atlanta front office a call. Tell them that they can save money on airfare and skip the draft....

arsmaster*

burke has a reputation for being very good at trading up in the draft, if he really wants to hel find a way with something around our philly 1st, 2nd round pick and a decent prospect

Really, how many times has he done that?????

The Sedin's are one occasion....

He wanted too for Tavares too, but couldnt, couldnt for B. Schenn either.....

He traded a prospect for a 2nd last year.....that is a helluva lot different than trading up in the 1st, especially with limited resources.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
7.new jersey-ryan murphy
8. Columbus-Ryan Strome

I'd be mildly surprised if the Devils took Murphy with Strome still on board. Murphy fills a more pressing need today, but the old adage goes that you don't draft by need since most of these guys won't be ready for 2+ years. But if you outright think Murphy is the better prospect, then it works.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Really, how many times has he done that?????

The Sedin's are one occasion....

He wanted too for Tavares too, but couldnt, couldnt for B. Schenn either.....

Trading up for Pronger in 1993 is the other one that Burke can pretty much dine out on for the rest of his career. But recently, he traded down in the first twice with Anaheim (2007, 2008).

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
If Hamilton is on the board the Isles will probably take him.

Him or Strome. I'd be happy with either but prefer Strome. I think the Isles need good right handed shot in our top six. We are a little lefty heavy and I hope PA is gone after next season.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well if CHI can't trade up to middle first(11-16*) (their first + one of their 2 highest 2nds--their worst 2nd of the 3 they had is pledged to Ottawa for Campoli) -THEN the Hawks should consider:

1. SAMU PERHONEN (G) -the BPA might be the top goalie to go in the draft...

2. JOACHIM NERMARK (C) --He's probably the best centre left on the board after
Zibanejad and MCNeill get selected....He's good at face-offs ;Zack Phillips is not.

3. STEPHAN NOESEN(W) ...

If the HAWKs can get to the 11-16 by trading up-then Zibanejad,Mcneill in the "big " centres or Beauieu and Olekesiak or Musil in the :" big" D-men
alternatives become feasible targets...

However if the Hawks are stuck in the 22-30 spot --the barrel is being scraped already -so I'd take my alternatives listed above over Morrow ...

I am not that high on D-man Joe Morrow...

IF there is a wildcard D-man remaining it could be defensive D-man KLAS DAHLBECK -but because he's older I think they could grab him anyway in round two. Maybe they get another older late bloomer MAGNUS NYGREN another smaller offenseman who is tearing up the SEL in the playofs for Farjestads... So I would not go for Morrow in the 20's -I would go other position alternatives because they could get older D-men both offensively skilled and of a defensive type later with 2nd rounders if that is their need .

In the 20's -they could get: 1. The top goalie of the draft crop
or
2. A fair sized 20way centre who is good at face-offs
or
3. A good sized winger who put up poinrs (Noesen) and
happens to also be adept at face-offs.

Forget Morrow.

mazzman17

Mar 21, 2011
not a fan of this mock draft. Matt Nieto is a little far off the board for me, and i don't think its possible for us to move that far up without packaging both of our 1sts

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Toronto trading up to the 13th pick? :D With what assets?

Actually, it's not a wild guess.

The mock assumes that the Leafs finish with the 9th (to Boston) and 39th (second round) selections. It also assumes the picks that the Leafs will have are 25th and 30th.

The value of those three picks (25, 30 and 39) are 720, 620 and 510 according to the NFL Draft Pick Value chart. http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

If he were to package the 30th and 39th picks plus say Toronto's fifth rounder (#129, value 43), the combined value of the picks would be 1,173.

The value of Pick 13, according to the chart is 1,150.

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
You did a great job of matching teams with needs IMO, but idk about some of your picks.

I do love Dougie Hamilton to the Blues though, if we can't get Strome or Huberdeau.

It'd be like having 2 Alex Pietrangelos.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The value of those three picks (25, 30 and 39) are 720, 620 and 510 according to the NFL Draft Pick Value chart. http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

If he were to package the 30th and 39th picks plus say Toronto's fifth rounder (#129, value 43), the combined value of the picks would be 1,173.

The value of Pick 13, according to the chart is 1,150.

NFL Draft pick value chart doesn't quite apply to the NHL though. Draft picks in the NFL hold different values if only for the inherent difference in that there are a lot more positions/players used in the NFL. And even more recently, most NFL teams concede that the draft pick value chart (genesis in the early 90s by Jimmy Johnson) is more of a reference rather than an ironclad measure of picks.

In 2007, the Coyotes traded picks #30 and #36 for #21. In 2008, Phoenix traded #35 and #39 for #28. The Kings traded #17 and #28 for #12. In 2009, the Islanders basically traded #26 and #37 for #16.

And it really does depend on the depth of a particular draft year. In 2004, the Blue Jackets traded #4 to Carolina for #8 and #59. In 2007, the Blues offered #9 and #24 to Edmonton for #6 but were turned down.

ItRisesFromTheWaves

Jun 14, 2010
1.edmonton- Adam Larsson
7.new jersey-ryan murphy
8. Columbus-Ryan Strome
9.Boston-Tyler Biggs
13. Toronto-Mika Zibanejad(Toronto trades up to get the big
swedish center that burke covets)
16.calgary-Sven beartchi
19.Dallas-matt puempel
20.Montreal-Boone Jenner
22.chicago-joe morrow
24detroit-rocco grimaldi

Buffalo will not be drafting defense in the first round. I know we love to draft defensemen first but we have a glut of young defensemen and are in desperate need of centers in our farm system. Sorry Toronto, but we will be picking Zibanejad if he is on the board. Center is just too pressing of a need.

Last edited:

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
NFL Draft pick value chart doesn't quite apply to the NHL though. Draft picks in the NFL hold different values if only for the inherent difference in that there are a lot more positions/players used in the NFL. And even more recently, most NFL teams concede that the draft pick value chart (genesis in the early 90s by Jimmy Johnson) is more of a reference rather than an ironclad measure of picks.

In 2007, the Coyotes traded picks #30 and #36 for #21. In 2008, Phoenix traded #35 and #39 for #28. The Kings traded #17 and #28 for #12. In 2009, the Islanders basically traded #26 and #37 for #16.

And it really does depend on the depth of a particular draft year. In 2004, the Blue Jackets traded #4 to Carolina for #8 and #59. In 2007, the Blues offered #9 and #24 to Edmonton for #6 but were turned down.

I wasn't using it as an ironclad value, I was using it more to show how the OP's suggestion about Toronto being move up to 13 wasn't as laughable as other poster's were suggesting.

Certainly, you're right, it depends on a variety of factors including the perceived depth of the class, the General Managers involved, etc.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wasn't using it as an ironclad value, I was using it more to show how the OP's suggestion about Toronto being move up to 13 wasn't as laughable as other poster's were suggesting.

Certainly, you're right, it depends on a variety of factors including the perceived depth of the class, the General Managers involved, etc.

Yup, definitely. Another old trade to toss in there was 2002 (weaker depth draft year) where Dallas traded #13 to Washington for #26 and #42. Although Dallas in particular had an organizational tendency about trading down for extra picks.

A team like Calgary looks likely to be picking in the 12-14 range. The Flames are without 2nd and 3rd round picks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a few spots to try to recoup a pick or two. Although not sure they'd want to drop into the 20s though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad