Cut/Released: Johnny Manziel officially waived by Browns

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16627826/johnny-manziel-pledges-go-sober-sincere-source-says

Like I've said, now its finally seeping in that he's not going to be playing football in the fall for the first time in 10 years or so. He truly misses the sport and probably has realized that nobody is going to want him unless he is sober, maybe if he stays true he'll get Rosenahus back.

If Miller does indeed sit out the year, i could see the two working out together.

Von Miller won't sit out the year.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If Miller does indeed sit out the year, i could see the two working out together.

tumblr_static_batman-laughing.gif

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Like who? They are usually clipboard holders or just an extra set of eyes for the starter. Manziel doesn't have the aptitude for that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Like who? They are usually clipboard holders or just an extra set of eyes for the starter. Manziel doesn't have the aptitude for that.

Exactly. Also the difference between those joke QBs and Manziel is that they aren't headcases.

Manziel is just as much a joke QB as anyone I've ever seen going in to the league.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Exactly. Also the difference between those joke QBs and Manziel is that they aren't headcases.

Manziel is just as much a joke QB as anyone I've ever seen going in to the league.

And they are highly intelligent football players albeit not very talented.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
And they are highly intelligent football players albeit not very talented.

Yep. Played soccer for about a decade with one of them when I lived in New England. He was better at the whole football thing and I was better at the whole soccer thing (played an age group up). Kinda feel bad for him as he just BARELY missed out on a ring with my favorite team... TWICE.

Extremely smart guy and knows the game inside and out, just didn't have the physical gifts to make it in the league as more then a clipboard holder aside from one season when the Panthers seemingly went through like a dozen QBs.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Jeff Garcia is a guy who comes to mind. He way outlasted his time in the league. Detmer is another guy that comes to mind. I still wouldn't even give up on someone taking Tebow again at some point and he's less overall athletic than Johnny. If he does get sober he is young enough and athletic enough that there's always a chance to get into a PS or end up at a teams camp next year OE beyond.

Jerry Jones would sign a guy like him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Jeff Garcia is a guy who comes to mind. He way outlasted his time in the league. Detmer is another guy that comes to mind. I still wouldn't even give up on someone taking Tebow again at some point and he's less overall athletic than Johnny. If he does get sober he is young enough and athletic enough that there's always a chance to get into a PS or end up at a teams camp next year OE beyond.

Garcia? Really?

Jeff Garcia in his late 30's was still solid #1 and took both Eagles and Bucs to playoffs (Saved Eagles season if I recall that year)

And Ty Detmer was exactly type that Dave/Gene talk about. Smart guy who could understand systems and do his job of holding clipboard and come in if needed giving ok backup level play

Also Detmer is now an offensive coordinator in NCAA after being a high school football coach for like 6 years. So yeah guy is a smart football mind

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

You mean Jeff Garcia and Ty Detmer who are both in coaching now? Johnny Manziel has no idea how to play quarterback.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lol there have been some joke QBs that have managed to hang around in the past who shouldn't have.

Those joke QBs don't have the baggage Manziel comes with.

He is just not worth the gamble even if you pick him up for free.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Ryan Mallett is huge and has a cannon of an arm. Going to an SEC school probably helps as well, but he'd have to screw up pretty bad for someone to not at least have him on their roster.

He went to Michigan first but the only reason he flourished at Arkansas was due to Petrino.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Those joke QBs don't have the baggage Manziel comes with.

He is just not worth the gamble even if you pick him up for free.

Well I mean if you're a joke team that wants to put fannies in the seats and has nothing to lose at the moment I can see a team like the jets or somebody really bad just saying screw it, he's entertaining on the field when he plays and he's a colorful personality we can exploit this for cash. Hell you could argue the Jets kind of did that with Tebow. For as bad as Sanchez is Tebow isn't better at all. But his super religious good guy attitude could designate for people. For whatever reason people wanna see him play(god knows why he can't even properly set his feet let alone throw accurately)

Another option could be a team that's bad tanking to get the #1 pick and that QB in the upcoming draft. It won't be easy but I think he goes to Canada or the AFL, lights or up and gets a camp invite. Kurt Warner started his career in the AFL. Not to compare or anything like this but I do think regardless of league a QB who plays well can get a camp invite. The CFL helped bring Flutie back from the dead.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Well I mean if you're a joke team that wants to put fannies in the seats and has nothing to lose at the moment I can see a team like the jets or somebody really bad just saying screw it, he's entertaining on the field when he plays and he's a colorful personality we can exploit this for cash. Hell you could argue the Jets kind of did that with Tebow. For as bad as Sanchez is Tebow isn't better at all. But his super religious good guy attitude could designate for people. For whatever reason people wanna see him play(god knows why he can't even properly set his feet let alone throw accurately)

Another option could be a team that's bad tanking to get the #1 pick and that QB in the upcoming draft. It won't be easy but I think he goes to Canada or the AFL, lights or up and gets a camp invite. Kurt Warner started his career in the AFL. Not to compare or anything like this but I do think regardless of league a QB who plays well can get a camp invite. The CFL helped bring Flutie back from the dead.

His career is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad