Johnny Hockey's Playing Time...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
i have a buddy who played on his line in high school. he claims he demanded a contract last year asap to get that thing ticking. He said if he's unhappy after 2 years there he's the type of guy that would be a pain in the butt kinda like ROR in COL

Unless you have a source that you can prove to myself or one of the other MOD's (if you do PM us), you're story is irrelevant and for all I know it's just that, a story. I'll let it stick for now, but if it's discussed further as a source in this thread I'm going to delete the parts that it's being discussed.

And seriously, the kid has played 4 NHL games. I'm going to repeat that, he has played 4 NHL games. What are people expecting, did Stamkos and MacKinnon play 20 minutes a night their first week in the NHL? Like come on..

Johnny has a special type of skillset, he is being transitioned into the best league in the world the proper way. His TOI average this year may very well not go over 15 minutes, I wouldn't expect him to logging heavy minutes until next year or towards the last quarter of this season. He needs his mind to adjust to the style and speed of the NHL, all while learning to deal with physicality of the players in this league. I still expect him to score over 40pts this year (personally I think he'll crack 50), but it won't happen right away. He's going to get a little better with each passing game, and expect some nights where he records 3-4 points.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
I stated in my post it was a small sample size
I also said that I understand he's a rookie

Why harp on the same two points? As if they weren't stayed

Go flames

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Get over it. Hartley knows what he is doing. Did the same thing with Backlund last year...Backlund ended up having a career year. It is not even a bad thing if he ends up in the AHL anyways. There is a reason why he is a coach in the NHL and you(us) making a thread a hockey forum.

Not saying Hartley is wrong, but this is an idiotic sentiment. Just because someone is an NHL coach doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. Coaches fail all the time, and hockey forum posters often have better ideas than them.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not saying Hartley is wrong, but this is an idiotic sentiment. Just because someone is an NHL coach doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. Coaches fail all the time, and hockey forum posters often have better ideas than them.

His statement is not idiotic. Hartley worked with Tanguay in his rookie year with the Avs and also with Heatley/Kovalchuk in Atlanta. I think we can agree that those players have had very successful hockey careers. Hartley has worked with rookies before, Johnny shouldn't be treated anything more or anything less than a rookie.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
His statement is not idiotic. Hartley worked with Tanguay in his rookie year with the Avs and also with Heatley/Kovalchuk in Atlanta. I think we can agree that those players have had very successful hockey careers. Hartley has worked with rookies before, Johnny shouldn't be treated anything more or anything less than a rookie.

Eh, he's also worked with Simon Gamache, Vaclav Nedorost, Brett Sterling and Mark Popovic.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Eh, he's also worked with Simon Gamache, Vaclav Nedorost, Brett Sterling and Mark Popovic.

I am just providing some success stories. Obviously not all rookies under Hartley panned out well. But for him to say that hockey forum posters often know better than a hockey coach seems a bit idiotic to me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am just providing some success stories. Obviously not all rookies under Hartley panned out well. But for him to say that hockey forum posters often know better than a hockey coach seems a bit idiotic to me.

Coaches get fired all the time. Getting fired is an indictment of the coach, and says that, in the eyes of management, the coach was making bad decisions. If the coach was making bad decisions, that means that there were better decisions he could have made, and in a world with this many bloggers posting every day, odds are some of them were advocating those decisions over the coaches.

So no, I don't think it's idiotic. There's a chance that the coach will eventually be found in the wrong, although the poster will never know if he was right.

I trust Hartley in this, though. Backlund was given rough treatment early in the year, but by the end of it we were all ready to forget it. Backlund himself admitted that he had a switch he needed to flip, and once he started playing better, he was given no shortage of playing time.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Hopefully he is only on the bench for 6 more games anyway. He needs a year in the AHL playing against pros I think.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I stated in my post it was a small sample size
I also said that I understand he's a rookie

Why harp on the same two points? As if they weren't stayed

Go flames

Regardless, you started this thread and those are points that simply cannot be ignored when considering his ice time.

Chyep

Jesus saves, sign em
Nov 11, 2013
Calgary
Regardless, you started this thread and those are points that simply cannot be ignored when considering his ice time.
I think the OPs points are valid. I too would like to have seen more of him in that situation. Of course,I didnt have the chance to see him in the ncaa, so am naturally more curious about what we have.

No idea why you are working so hard to kill any conversation about him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the OPs points are valid. I too would like to have seen more of him in that situation. Of course,I didnt have the chance to see him in the ncaa, so am naturally more curious about what we have.

No idea why you are working so hard to kill any conversation about him.

So, there's no difference between arguing against the OP and trying to kill a conversation?

Chyep

Jesus saves, sign em
Nov 11, 2013
Calgary
Coaches get fired all the time. Getting fired is an indictment of the coach, and says that, in the eyes of management, the coach was making bad decisions. If the coach was making bad decisions, that means that there were better decisions he could have made, and in a world with this many bloggers posting every day, odds are some of them were advocating those decisions over the coaches.

So no, I don't think it's idiotic. There's a chance that the coach will eventually be found in the wrong, although the poster will never know if he was right.

I trust Hartley in this, though. Backlund was given rough treatment early in the year, but by the end of it we were all ready to forget it. Backlund himself admitted that he had a switch he needed to flip, and once he started playing better, he was given no shortage of playing time.

Firing a coach is not nessessarilly an indictment of the coach. If it were we wouldnt have coaches because they are all failures by that measurment. Sometimes a new message or phillosophy is required to move forward. That could be as much a failure of the managment or personell as it is on the coach, but someone is getting fired.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
and i stated those in my original post? once again

Granted, my point was though that those are the reasons for his limited his icetime. It's fine for you to acknowledge such, but in essence you are answering your own question. Either way, it's 3 games in, I think he will stay up as long as he's learning and showing improvement game by game, and I think we will see his ice time increase as the season progresses.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Firing a coach is not nessessarilly an indictment of the coach. If it were we wouldnt have coaches because they are all failures by that measurment. Sometimes a new message or phillosophy is required to move forward. That could be as much a failure of the managment or personell as it is on the coach, but someone is getting fired.

I agree, but I feel like a philosophy is nothing more or less than a series of decisions. For instance, the subject of this conversation is Hartley's entire philosophy regarding rookies. It's perfectly conceivable that management may at some point decide they want a different philosophy, and doing so lends credence to posters who at this time want a different philosophy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Really? Why is that? I assume age?

The nine game thing only applies if he can be sent to a junior (non-pro) team to let his contract slide. The only place Johnny can be sent is to the AHL, which would still be playing on his contract with the Flames, which is 2-way.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Change "often have better ideas" to "sometimes/occasionally have" and that statement is entirely correct.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A 5'7" player getting minimal minutes in his fourth game, in a game where he played pretty bad, against arguably the most physical/biggest team in the league... Totally a giant issue :shakehead:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
People are reading way too much into a 3 game sample size. Give it ten or so games before we make an real judgement on Hartleys handling of him, or where Johnny should be playing.

OlWpgJet

Oct 27, 2002
Visit site
Give him time, he will be fine. Nothing wrong with easing him in. Might become an impact player later in the year probably next year. I'm thinking easing him in with the flames is better than throwing in ahl just because of his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad