News Article: Johnny Gaudreau to trademark "Johnny Hockey"

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I think it is a smart move because why not get compensation for a name that was made popular because of him. But I think he will see some negative attention because of it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There's actually been a surprising number of rational people calling it a smart move, which it is. Most of the detractors have been Canucks and Bruins fans. :rolleyes:

Wait. You're saying the rivals we hate the most; and the guys who wanted this kid the most are ripping into him! How dare they?!

It's like a Flames fan putting Hunter Shinkaruk down; or a Leafs fan blasting Brayden Schenn.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Love the main board reaction.. There's one specific poster in there going off, a certain Bruins fan that's always had something about JG to pick at, haters gonna hate, I love it!

Smart move by JG, his agent is doing what every good agent would do

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's only stalking if you get caught. Until then it's 'observing'.

8iNmW.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The sight of one T-shirt, in particular, seems to have put the wheels in motion.

When Johnny Gaudreau’s agent noticed the eye-catching slogan — “Johnny (Effin’) Hockey†— he went to work, applying for “Johnny Hockey†trademarks with patent offices in Canada and the United States.

Understandably, this garment is not something Lewis Gross wanted associated with his client, a hotshot rookie with the Calgary Flames.

“There were a couple shirts, a couple things, that were derogatory,†Craig Conroy — assistant general manager of the Flames, who was represented by Gross during his playing days — said Wednesday at the Saddledome. “Lewis said, ‘We just want to make sure we monitor it.’ And that’s all it was.

“More than anything, it was to make sure that people weren’t selling stuff that made him look bad. I mean, I think that’s what it came down to.â€

Johnny Hockey trademark backlash surprises Gaudreau camp

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I'm a frequent college hockey spectator here in Boston and "Johnny Hockey!" was a regular chant by the BC student section(I root for BU, by the way).

hockeybama

Jan 14, 2015
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Love the main board reaction.. There's one specific poster in there going off, a certain Bruins fan that's always had something about JG to pick at, haters gonna hate, I love it!

Smart move by JG, his agent is doing what every good agent would do

Yea, he made the statement that Johnny would never be popular outside of Calgary or BC. I told him he was popular in Alabama. And he is. Apparently the tread has been closed. I guess people were getting nasty. Quality entertainment:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad