Johnny Gaudreau the First Flames Rookie to Hit 50 Points Since Jarome Iginla

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Still too slow in the equipment race. Needs to improve his skating.

I was thinking about this. I mean the kid defied all odds as a small hockey player to make it to the NHL and achieve what we can only dream of... having Morgan Freeman say your name on TV.

The dream.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I predicted a 65 point season from JG before the season started. I will dig up the thread.

To me it was a no brainer of given the oppertunity he would shine.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I predicted a 65 point season from JG before the season started. I will dig up the thread.

To me it was a no brainer of given the oppertunity he would shine.

You should! It would be fun to see how close/off we all were. :laugh:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I was thinking about this. I mean the kid defied all odds as a small hockey player to make it to the NHL and achieve what we can only dream of... having Morgan Freeman say your name on TV.

The dream.

Next up, being rescued in a movie by Liam Nesson and his very specific set of skills:)

Gf saw Money and Johnny on tv last night after Monahan scored and the tv commentator said something "youngest player on the team to score X" and she's like "oh was it that little kid?" and I'm like "no its that big guy next to him. The kid is older than him."

"Whoa....he's the youngest and that little kid is already 20?" hahaha.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Before the season started I predicted that when all is said and done, that Gaudreau would be the Flames all time leader in points. :laugh:

That's a very bold prediction and Iggy got a pretty good head start on Johnny when I really looked at the numbers. But I still stand by what I said in saying that I fully expect him to be playing at an elite level and I think he can be even more prolific than Iggy was due to who he's going to get to play with here. I don't think there's any question that Johnny will have multiple PPG seasons, now I'm wondering how high his ceiling is.

He's probably going to finish with around 58-62 points this year and I think next year he'll be around 70. Now you have to consider he's going to be playing with highly skilled guys in Monahan and Bennett who will reciprocate his skill level and will come close to matching his production. Then consider that Hartley likes to play an up tempo offensive system and you have all the makings for some pretty special seasons.

Looking at his past production, WhiskeyYourTheDevil put up some pretty compelling arguments on the prospect board that Johnny may in fact be capable of reaching a 90-100 point level. He used his numbers which show how his production increases from year 1 to 2 in the different leagues he's played in previously. I've noticed that to, once Johnny figures out the league he plays in, he dominates it. I've always believed that he's a winner and a special player, we're so lucky he's a Flame.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
yeah if a "getting used to" season for Johnny is a 60 point year, sky really is the limit

if all goes well we have our core forwards for the next 15 years in Johnny, Moneyman and Sam. Bright times are ahead!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Looking at his past production, WhiskeyYourTheDevil put up some pretty compelling arguments on the prospect board that Johnny may in fact be capable of reaching a 90-100 point level. He used his numbers which show how his production increases from year 1 to 2 in the different leagues he's played in previously. I've noticed that to, once Johnny figures out the league he plays in, he dominates it. I've always believed that he's a winner and a special player, we're so lucky he's a Flame.

Very hard to put up that many points, but it'd be amazing to finally see a Flames' player get back to 90+ points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Very hard to put up that many points, but it'd be amazing to finally see a Flames' player get back to 90+ points.

Yeah I agree, scoring is down this year and so it's relative across the board. Crosby for example will be lucky to crack 85 points this year and he's played in pretty much all the games this season except for a handful. But scoring trends are cyclic, so it's definitely realistic to think in 3-5 seasons that we could have multiple 100 point players in a season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah I agree, scoring is down this year and so it's relative across the board. Crosby for example will be lucky to crack 85 points this year and he's played in pretty much all the games this season except for a handful. But scoring trends are cyclic, so it's definitely realistic to think in 3-5 seasons that we could have multiple 100 point players in a season.

I think it'll take year 3 or 4 for Johnny to really start lighting it up in the NHL. Just look at the trend he had from his 1st, 2nd and 3rd year in BC. Once he is fully adapted in the NHL, I'll make my bold prediction that he can light it up as good as Patrick Kane.

May 27, 2012
Earth

I don't think so. The last season with multiple 100 point players was 5 years ago in the 2009-2010 season. There were 4 of them. In the seasons since there have only been one 100 point player per season except the lockout season. This season we might be lucky with someone cracking 90 points. I LOVE Gaudreau but seems like wishful thinking. I could see a consistent 70-80 points. The gap between superstars and others is closing. Now you don't have goons running around the ice. Teams actually have guys who can play hockey now.

Scoring might pick up when if there are two expansion teams. Even then it would balance out in a few years when the expansion teams become much better. Even then I don't think it would be much of scoring increase. The teams will still be bad but they are still getting NHL talent. Not AHL scrubs.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think so. The last season with multiple 100 point players was 5 years ago in the 2009-2010 season. There were 4 of them. In the seasons since there have only been one 100 point player per season except the lockout season. This season we might be lucky with someone cracking 90 points. I LOVE Gaudreau but seems like wishful thinking. I could see a consistent 70-80 points. The gap between superstars and others is closing. Now you don't have goons running around the ice. Teams actually have guys who can play hockey now.

Scoring might pick up when if there are two expansion teams. Even then it would balance out in a few years when the expansion teams become much better. Even then I don't think it would be much of scoring increase. The teams will still be bad but they are still getting NHL talent. Not AHL scrubs.

When Iginla was the premier forward in the NHL from roughly 2006-2008, that was kind of a dead few years in terms of scoring in the NHL. Really his main competition was Nash and Kovalchuk. Then Crosby and Ovechkin broke into the league and scoring elevated again. I just can't see it that the days of multiple are 100 point players are gone forever, that's to definite of a statement to make IMO. Scoring is good for the game and if goal totals remain down I'm sure the league will make changes to address it. Also keep in mind that we have 2 players entering the league next year in McDavid and Eichel, and they will likely carry the torch for the next generation.

I'm not saying that Gaudreau is going to be a 100 point player, but scoring trends in the NHL have always fluctuated throughout the history of the league and I see no reason to think that history will not repeat itself anymore because the game has completely changed that much. I don't think we'll ever see a Gretzky type 200 point season again, but I definitely think scoring 100 points by 3-4 players is certainly realistic within the next several seasons.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
A look at the most productive rookie seasons in the history of the Atlanta/Calgary Flames franchise:

Joe Nieuwendyk (1987-88) 92 pts
Sergei Makarov (1989-90) 86 pts
Carey Wilson (1984-85) 72 pts
Gary Suter (1985-86) 68 pts
Tom Lysiak (1973-74) 64 pts
Eric Vail (1974-75) 60 pts
Joel Otto (1985-86) 59 pts
Willi Plett (1976-77) 56 pts
Hakan Loob (1983-84) 55 pts
Paul Ranheim (1989-90) 54 pts
Jiri Hrdina (1988-89) 54 pts
Johnny Gaudreau (2014-15) 53 pts
Harold Phillipoff (1977-78) 53 pts
Dan Quinn (1983-84) 52 pts
Jarome Iginla (1996-97) 50 pts
Guy Chouinard (1976-77) 50 pts

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I have no doubt that Johnny will be the fan favourite for the Calder, but regardless of who finishes where in scoring, it's tough to rule out either contribution on relative team successes. Still can't say at this point who's more deserving, and I'm completely biased. I'm also certain Jooris would finish in top 10 rookie scoring had he played the entire year. It'd be something else to see Bennett's name up there with all-time rookie greats when he breaks in. Monny is all but a lock for 30 this year.. lots to be optimistic about with this young bunch.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
In this era, pretty impressive stuff, no doubt.

Considering there's a chance he'll be in the top 5-6 of them when everything's said and done... is incredible. There are some great players on this list too.

It's worth noting Monny's over 50 now too; and will be hitting 30 goals. It's awesome news all around for Flames fans, absolutely.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Considering there's a chance he'll be in the top 5-6 of them when everything's said and done... is incredible. There are some great players on this list too.

It's worth noting Monny's over 50 now too; and will be hitting 30 goals. It's awesome news all around for Flames fans, absolutely.

I've said this before, but I think Ryan Johansen really emerged last year as the games next budding star center. I think Monahan is this years Johansen. Interesting to note though with that comparison, Johansen broke 30 goals in his 3rd season in the NHL and at the age of 21. Monahan will be doing it in his 2nd season and at the age of 20. You have to think that Monahan will be scoring 40 goals annually for quite sometime. Due to his age, Johansen is considered one of the premier up and coming young players in the NHL, and I think Monahan has every bit his upside if not more. And to think that Sean was more of a playmaker with the 67's, wait until that part of his game develops a little more in the NHL.

Gaudreau is somewhat a little bit of an older rookie because he played 3 years in college, but to me that is irrelevant. Take Monahan again for example or even Ekblad, look at how physically mature those guys are. I actually think Gaudreau has grown or put on muscle over the course of this season, but he is just finally starting to physically settle more into an adults body. So while his age may be older than some of his fellow rookies, his body type is behind. Where he is more advanced though than others, is his mind which allows him to be so dominant. What both Gaudreau and Monahan are accomplishing this year is astounding to be blunt. Other than Hudler, they are our best players night and night out and they are only going to get better.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I had guessed 15g/25a. I'm happy that I'm wrong.

As for Monahan, he's been a huge surprise, especially since he had a pretty slow start to the year. He's going to be a legitimate #1 center.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Funny how Backlund going down in the first bit of the season helped Monahan's development.

Also funny how we all thought We'd be screwed on the wing scoring without Cammy. Johnny has been doing quite fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad