Value of: Johnny Boychuk

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Leddy would bring back more.
I rather trade Leddy at this years deadline. If he has a bounce back year his value will be pretty high. He is a very steady player but his lack of offensive game last season left plenty to be desired.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I don't see why NYI fans are in a hurry to get rid of him - he is still solid. Mayfield will yield the largest return, but not sure other GMs are sold on him being a top-4 guy.

You don't trade the type of contract value Mayfield has in a Salary Cap world. Retaining 2M on a Boychuck deal ( if you really want to do it) means Mayfield is getting paid 3mish a year. That's better value.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Boychuk has arguably the most underrated bad deal in the NHL. He’s like a #5 at this point, signed until 38, at 6 per. The only good news is his NMC just turned into a NTC. I could see a team asking for a pretty high end prospect to take his contract.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Didn't realize Boychuk was as old as he is, 1984 birth year.

Good luck trying to move him with that contract.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Boychuk has arguably the most underrated bad deal in the NHL. He’s like a #5 at this point, signed until 38, at 6 per. The only good news is his NMC just turned into a NTC. I could see a team asking for a pretty high end prospect to take his contract.

Thankfully Boychuk is still a productive player and his contract doesn't hurt the salary cap situation right now. He is the veteran leader of a young and cost controlled group. One more good season buys Dobson and Wilde another development season, Boychuk is moveable with 2 years left and less money payout left on his contract. Push comes to shove, a possible compliance buyout or some sort of expansion deal if it comes to that.

It's a bad contract, but it's negative impact is limited... for now. The Ladd contract is garbage, LTIR is in his future. Thankfully neither are the Lucic contract.

Reactions: IODCPiper

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
With Scott mayfield taking the next step to be a legitimate top 4 dman (with a phenomenal contract), pulock quickly developing into a top pairing dman, and Dobson doing absolutely everything he can to prove he should be playing in the nhl next season what would the isles be able to get for this warrior of a number 4/5 right hand defensive dman

Unless they can trade hickey and boychuk gets demoted to rotating 6/7 with Dobson
Why did you make this thread? Boychuk is a heart and soul guy, and a warrior on the ice.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Why trade Boychuk when he’s proved he can still play the game? Ladd is falling apart and Clutterbuck has a bad back. Both of those forwards are wasting space for someone who can play.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Didn't realize Boychuk was as old as he is, 1984 birth year.

Good luck trying to move him with that contract.

He hasn't really played that many NHL games in relation to his age . There are far worse contracts out there . May I ask if you have seen him play ? He does not hurt this team. Now the Looch deal is a lead anchor for what he brings on ice and not anywhere in the same " bad contract " conversation as JB.

There are 5 dmen from the 2002 draft still playing . 3 of them have played over 350 more games than JB . I know , so what

Last edited:
Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
He hasn't really played that many NHL games in relation to his age . There are far worse contracts out there . May I ask if you have seen him play ? He does not hurt this team. Now the Looch deal is a lead anchor for what he brings on ice and not anywhere in the same " bad contract " conversation as JB.

There are 5 dmen from the 2002 draft still playing . Trevor Daley has 350 more games played . Jonathan Ericcson 1 more game .

Think of it like this. If he was a Free Agent, would you want the Fish to give him 6M AAV over 3 years? Most definitely not, nor would any team. Not sure why you're bringing up Lucic, I never mentioned him. Lucic has nother year on his deal and his contract is a lot more buyout proof, so that contributes to it and not just the impact they provide on the ice.

Boychuck is probably between an average and replacement level dman at this point, closer to average but below average. His transition game was never good but it's completely gone, he's a chip off glass guy who provides slightly negative to neutral value depending on the stretch he's on.

That's just simply terrible value for 6M. With what he is at this poin, you can find a player like him for league minimum to a 1.5M in any given offseason IMO.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is easy...

• Boychuk is usually outmanned athletically, but is a smart veteran, who is as steadying presence on D.
  • His value in a trade is minimal to what he actually provides for them.
  • The Isles don't need cap space.
  • Even if they did, the deals of Ladd, Clutterbuck, Hickey, etc are bigger problems.

Add it all up and the Isles should keep Boychuk and we should close this thread.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Think of it like this. If he was a Free Agent, would you want the Fish to give him 6M AAV over 3 years? Most definitely not, nor would any team. Not sure why you're bringing up Lucic, I never mentioned him. Lucic has nother year on his deal and his contract is a lot more buyout proof, so that contributes to it and not just the impact they provide on the ice.

Boychuck is probably between an average and replacement level dman at this point, closer to average but below average. His transition game was never good but it's completely gone, he's a chip off glass guy who provides slightly negative to neutral value depending on the stretch he's on.

That's just simply terrible value for 6M. With what he is at this poin, you can find a player like him for league minimum to a 1.5M in any given offseason IMO.

It almost seems like in long term deals the team is overpaying in years with the player . If we took the time to look through all the high salary 6 or 7 year deals to veterans there most likely is a nice list of names that you could substitute in for JB and the discussion would be exactly the same about being overpriced.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Why did you make this thread? Boychuk is a heart and soul guy, and a warrior on the ice.

Dobson

This is easy...

• Boychuk is usually outmanned athletically, but is a smart veteran, who is as steadying presence on D.
  • Even if they did, the deals of Ladd, Clutterbuck, Hickey, etc are bigger problems.

Add it all up and the Isles should keep Boychuk and we should close this thread.
It would be good for the isles and for Dobson to be brought into the nhl to prevent his development from being stunted by not being challenged often enough

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Why trade Boychuk when he’s proved he can still play the game? Ladd is falling apart and Clutterbuck has a bad back. Both of those forwards are wasting space for someone who can play.
At this point isles are losing 3 forwards to free agency, they were never losing any dmen this free agency

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
This is easy...

Exactly. .... Consider that Zdeno Chara, is a shell of who he used to be. But he still brings a veteran presence to the team that is sorely missed when he isn't playing. It's the same with Boychuck. Maybe he isn't the hit everything that moves beast of yesteryear but he's still highly effective and provides leadership and presence to our blueline.

remember we gave up the fewest goals in the NHL last year and you don't do that without Boychuck.

the only people complaining about the job he does quite frankly are young clueless Islander fans who wish we had more cap space to chase Panarin. But those script kiddies are idiots and know less about hockey than a tree stump..

Great job piferal, telling it like it is. Pulock, Toews, Mayfield, and Pelech have grown much this past year and yes Trotz system was instrumental, but so was having Johnny Boychuck as a steadying influence.

those people looking to move Boychuck don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.. Let Dobson and Wilde and Aho mature at their own pace. We don't need to be listening to the idiots in the peanut gallery

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
Dobson

It would be good for the isles and for Dobson to be brought into the nhl to prevent his development from being stunted by not being challenged often enough
didn't seem to hurt Pulock or Toews they had what 5 and 4 years to develop. Dobson has had 1. Frankly you have absolutely no clue of what you're talking about. NONE. ZERO, ZILCH.

let the people who have won cups make the decisions. The path to Wisdom is to Know when you aren't qualified. And compared to Lamouriello and Trotz,trust me You're not.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
his value is zip as a trade asset for the obvious reasons but the guy can still play ; especially in a structured Trotz system.

isles couldnt attract any premium ufa d-men so when leddy+boychuk fell into snows lap the fans wanted them resigned badly when their contracts were set to expire .

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Exactly. .... Consider that Zdeno Chara, is a shell of who he used to be. But he still brings a veteran presence to the team that is sorely missed when he isn't playing. It's the same with Boychuck. Maybe he isn't the hit everything that moves beast of yesteryear but he's still highly effective and provides leadership and presence to our blueline.

remember we gave up the fewest goals in the NHL last year and you don't do that without Boychuck.

the only people complaining about the job he does quite frankly are young clueless Islander fans who wish we had more cap space to chase Panarin. But those script kiddies are idiots and know less about hockey than a tree stump..

Great job piferal, telling it like it is. Pulock, Toews, Mayfield, and Pelech have grown much this past year and yes Trotz system was instrumental, but so was having Johnny Boychuck as a steadying influence.

those people looking to move Boychuck don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.. Let Dobson and Wilde and Aho mature at their own pace. We don't need to be listening to the idiots in the peanut gallery

B,bbb-bbu-but he's going to be 38 on the last year of his deal - that is much more important then the fact he is a solid defender now.

Seriously, until Boychuks play deteriorates to the point where he isn't effective, these discussions are asinine.

drhockey4321

Jun 5, 2019
B,bbb-bbu-but he's going to be 38 on the last year of his deal - that is much more important then the fact he is a solid defender now.

Seriously, until Boychuks play deteriorates to the point where he isn't effective, these discussions are asinine.
Absolutely. I have no issues with Boychuck as is, let him gradually slide down the lineup as we have better options that are actually ready. Why rush Aho, Dobson, and Wilde until they are physically able to handle the positional demands. It's better for them and it's better for us. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL, to see Boychuck go in the expansion draft, at that point he'd have I think one year left at 6M? For Seattle who will need to reach the floor anyway..... I could see them taking him as a short term addition didn't Vegas take 13 defensemen?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
At this point isles are losing 3 forwards to free agency, they were never losing any dmen this free agency
Still not worth trading Boychuk for a mid-late round pick when he's still useful in a limited roll (or atleast until Dobson is ready). I'd rather see Leddy get moved for offensive help, Aho slide into the 5-6 roll with Mayfield (with Toews moving up) and have Hickey play the roll as the #7. Leave Boychuk to mentor Dobson and teach him the ropes. It'll still leave you with:
Toews - ??? (Boychuk for now until Dobson is ready to play full time in 1-2 years)
Pelech-Pulock
Aho-Mayfield
Hickey (expose him to Seattle and hope they grab him with the pick at the expansion draft).

This is still a solid blueline with not many tweaks being made.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Still not worth trading Boychuk for a mid-late round pick when he's still useful in a limited roll (or atleast until Dobson is ready). I'd rather see Leddy get moved for offensive help, Aho slide into the 5-6 roll with Mayfield (with Toews moving up) and have Hickey play the roll as the #7. Leave Boychuk to mentor Dobson and teach him the ropes. It'll still leave you with:
Toews - ??? (Boychuk for now until Dobson is ready to play full time in 1-2 years)
Pelech-Pulock
Aho-Mayfield
Hickey (expose him to Seattle and hope they grab him with the pick at the expansion draft).

This is still a solid blueline with not many tweaks being made.
Dobson is ready

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
He’s expensive for sure but if you pair him with Aho or even Noah (I know, I know) he’s got plenty of value. He had a good bounce back year and can be exposed to the expansion draft in a couple years.

But we have to move Leddy or Hickey.

I think if we retain $1.5 to 3MM, JB gets you something solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad