Value of: Johnny Boychuk

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
With Scott mayfield taking the next step to be a legitimate top 4 dman (with a phenomenal contract), pulock quickly developing into a top pairing dman, and Dobson doing absolutely everything he can to prove he should be playing in the nhl next season what would the isles be able to get for this warrior of a number 4/5 right hand defensive dman

Unless they can trade hickey and boychuk gets demoted to rotating 6/7 with Dobson

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
5th round pick?

Edit: Just looked him up and he's signed for three more years at $6MM. I change it from a 5th to a 6th with the Isle throwing in something to make it worth the other teams time.

Reactions: mstad101

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
- Are Isles willing to retain any?
- If not, are they trading him as cap dump value (given his age and contract) ie. they'd have to include an asset with him for a lesser return?

If either of the above are true, Anaheim might make sense to pair him with Fowler and add a vet RHD to a young defense. His salary left is 6-4-4 though, which is a lot for a (usually) non-Cap team.

Reactions: IODCPiper

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
5th round pick?

Edit: Just looked him up and he's signed for three more years at $6MM. I change it from a 5th to a 6th with the Isle throwing in something to make it worth the other teams time.

Boychuk isn't going anywhere. His contract is bad and it'll be more palatable after next season with 2 years left and a back diving deal so less money to be paid out.

If one of the RHD's is being moved, it's probably Mayfield. With his contract and his improvement in his game, don't see why the Isles trade him.

Leddy is the most obvious and talented expendable d-man right now. Boychuk is still solid, but his contract makes him untradeable right now.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Boychuk isn't going anywhere. His contract is bad and it'll be more palatable after next season with 2 years left and a back diving deal so less money to be paid out.

If one of the RHD's is being moved, it's probably Mayfield. With his contract and his improvement in his game, don't see why the Isles trade him.

Leddy is the most obvious and talented expendable d-man right now. Boychuk is still solid, but his contract makes him untradeable right now.
Question was "what is his worth", not "is he going to be traded".

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

I don't see why NYI fans are in a hurry to get rid of him - he is still solid. Mayfield will yield the largest return, but not sure other GMs are sold on him being a top-4 guy.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
5th round pick?

I think if this is the way that Lou went about it, he would rather trade boychuk for a center prospect than a 5th or 6th round pick, boychuk can absolutely still play and help most teams in the league

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Gonna be 36 in January with a terrible contract for 3 seasons and an 8 team trade list? Not gonna be worth much at all. I’m not completely sure but I would think there’s a chance that they might have to give up something significant to move that deal. I have a hard time seeing someone willingly take him without some sort of real good asset being tied to him.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Boychuk is a warrior on D . He is an old school punisher and very sold for what he brings . The Islanders are noticeably worse when he is out of the lineup. JB will play out his deal on Long Island . If you want him make a real offer because the Isles would not be looking to dump him . Now if you want Andrew Ladd -

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Boychuk is a warrior on D . He is an old school punisher and very sold for what he brings . The Islanders are noticeably worse when he is out of the lineup. JB will play out his deal on Long Island . If you want him make a real offer because the Isles would not be looking to dump him . Now if you want Andrew Ladd -
The point is making sure Dobson gets a spot on the right side and playing regularly

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Because without leddy we get aho but without boychuk we get Dobson

You have to understand that Dobson is only 19 and has played a lot of games the past two seasons. He’s not going to be strong enough to physically handle a full NHL season and do so effectively.

Dobson’s a good candidate to play 9 games over the first stretch of the season, be returned for the World Juniors, and finish up the year in the Q after getting a taste of the NHL life.

Aho has played professional hockey for 6-7 seasons and is on the last year of his ELC. He’s going to earn his shot as training camp and he has paid his dues. His body is much more prepared to finish the year in the NHL (a la Toews), that Dobson. Dobson needs the taste first, Aho’s already gotten his taste.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The point is making sure Dobson gets a spot on the right side and playing regularly

Dehaan didn't play a regular role until his 5th season after being drafted. Pulock didn't play a regular role until his 5th season after being drafted. Pelech also his 5th season after being drafted. Toews also his 5th year injury aside it was still his 5th. . Mayfield didn't play a regular role until his 7th season after being drafted . As much as I want to see him I want him to be ready for prime time when I do. If you feel he is ready then keep him here after camp .
We were very fortunate to not have many injuries on D last season . That is not the norm and should not be overlooked . We will need 8 or more D easily to make it through the year . Does keeping him affect the protection list for the next exp draft ?

LGI

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
With Scott mayfield taking the next step to be a legitimate top 4 dman (with a phenomenal contract), pulock quickly developing into a top pairing dman, and Dobson doing absolutely everything he can to prove he should be playing in the nhl next season what would the isles be able to get for this warrior of a number 4/5 right hand defensive dman

Unless they can trade hickey and boychuk gets demoted to rotating 6/7 with Dobson
Boychuk is perfect for the 6/7th defensemen. Play him for about 30-35 games and keep him healthy for playoffs. Trade leddy and bring in aho on left and dobs on right. No reason to trade pelch or mayfield there good and on amazing contracts.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Boychuk is perfect for the 6/7th defensemen. Play him for about 30-35 games and keep him healthy for playoffs. Trade leddy and bring in aho on left and dobs on right. No reason to trade pelch or mayfield there good and on amazing contracts.

I don’t think aho will be any better than hickey in his prime and that scares me away from trading leddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad