Player Discussion Johnathan Kovacevic

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Kovacevic was always amongst the best +/- on his team since his professional start. He has shown enough to get a shot as a top-4 defenseman 5-on-5 with the habs being weak on the right side. Very under-rated with the puck for a big defenseman, You'd wish he'd be more physical at that size but isn't.

Perfect cheap stop-gas player while our prospects develop their game. He should get a nice pay raise at the end of his contract and an incredible pick-up by HuGo.

I wouldn't mind trying him on a shutdown pairing with Guhle like they did in the pre-season.

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Kovacevic
Xhekaj - Harris

I see some posters putting him at the #7 defenseman spot due to salary and some of our prospects potential but he isn't worst than a chiarot/edmundson type of top-4 defenseman who can move up and down the lineup on a very strong defense. Durable as well, I wouldn't trade Kovacevic until next year's trade deadline for a very good price which at that point the habs should be stacked at defense, which they already are but even better.
He’s already showing more than Edmundson did last year. Kovacevic is more mobile and the sweet passes he made to Guhle and Monahan that resulted in goals were the type of plays that Edmundson has never been able to make.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Some laugh about waiver pickups but if one makes his homework we can get surprises like Byron and Kovacevic.

I really like Kovacevic. It seem he just needed to have the reps at that level as everything looked good. I like him better than Kulak back then which netted a 2nd iirc. I would'nt be surprised to get a late 1st or a Dach type of deal with him being a key piece.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Some laugh about waiver pickups but if one makes his homework we can get surprises like Byron and Kovacevic.

I really like Kovacevic. It seem he just needed to have the reps at that level as everything looked good. I like him better than Kulak back then which netted a 2nd iirc. I would'nt be surprised to get a late 1st or a Dach type of deal with him being a key piece.
Don't forget that Montembeault was a waiver pick up.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He’s already showing more than Edmundson did last year. Kovacevic is more mobile and the sweet passes he made to Guhle and Monahan that resulted in goals were the type of plays that Edmundson has never been able to make.
Habs are about to get 8 dmen #1 and 4 x first line. It's sad that Monsieur Guy Lafleur won't see that :nod:
:laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I find he is very very good at taking what is given. His game is remarkably problem free. The kind of steady that has great value for the coaching staff.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

On top of that he sounds like the chilliest possible teammate

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hey guys, was chatter about Kovacevic on the Jets forum. Curious how he has played for you guys this year. His role, how well, if he has gotten even better since last year or regressed a bit etc. Anything you have to share is appreciated.

Reactions: habbubba

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Hey guys, was chatter about Kovacevic on the Jets forum. Curious how he has played for you guys this year. His role, how well, if he has gotten even better since last year or regressed a bit etc. Anything you have to share is appreciated.
Last year, Kovacevic was put on the third pairing and I think he was pretty reliable, durable and gave us a right-handed defenseman which we sorely needed at a very cheap price.

This year, after a strong training camp he was again a staple in the lineup, he was even tried on a higher pairing where he struggled unfortunately to remain as good as he was on the bottom pairing. He seems to have lost some confidence with the puck and has been pushed down the depth chart with our emerging young defensemans coming in and has been in the stands a few times.

A smart player for his size, you'd wish he'd be more physical though, good 6th/7th defenseman at league minimum, always seem to find himself on the positive side of things against lesser opponents. All in all a successful stop-gas cheap waiver claim. However, I doubt he'll be in the plans long-term due to our prospects coming in but he's shown enough to be in the nhl for awhile.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Like that he has gotten combative the last few games,not shying away from dropping the mitts.

Did hear an interview with him though and he said they are still fighting and hoping to make the playoffs,did management not give him the memo?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Like that he has gotten combative the last few games,not shying away from dropping the mitts.

Did hear an interview with him though and he said they are still fighting and hoping to make the playoffs,did management not give him the memo?
Players fighting for their professional lives will never quit. You need inexpensive players like Kovasevic.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I find it interesting no rumors of Kovacevic as deadline trade bait… he’s the one I’m expecting to be moved.

Combination of digestible AAV + depth player contenders look for at deadline

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024

Players fighting for their professional lives will never quit. You need inexpensive players like Kovasevic.
Naturally but this fan base and most I presume shit on these players as if they are 5,6,7,+ million dollar players,you get what you pay for.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

They're professional athletes, they don't care what management is doing. They are playing for play-offs but management is managing for the future.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Naturally but this fan base and most I presume shit on these players as if they are 5,6,7,+ million dollar players,you get what you pay for.
In a Cap world you need some of your D to be affordable and guys like Kovasevic do just that. I like Kovasevic, an honest player who gives you a good effort and does it pretty well.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I find it interesting no rumors of Kovacevic as deadline trade bait… he’s the one I’m expecting to be moved.

Combination of digestible AAV + depth player contenders look for at deadline
100%, but then again, 26 years old, getting 766 000$ next season, is he worth trading for a 4th-5th round pick? The answer is no. I'd rather he stays here as a# 5-6-7. If he keeps it up, he will be worth more next season if we needed to move him to make space for our younger ds

Reactions: mdk and Tyson

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
In a Cap world you need some of your D to be affordable and guys like Kovasevic do just that. I like Kovasevic, an honest player who gives you a good effort and does it pretty well.
Yes but would be nice if fans were cognizant about it.

• Love
Reactions: Tyson

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
100%, but then again, 26 years old, getting 766 000$ next season, is he worth trading for a 4th-5th round pick? The answer is no. I'd rather he stays here as a# 5-6-7. If he keeps it up, he will be worth more next season if we needed to move him to make space for our younger ds
He’s not worth a 5th or 6th.

He’s worth a 2nd round pick minimum for the following reasons

RD (most coveted position in Hockey)
Paid minimum salary for another year. All the teams can fit him.
Solid defensively and plays PK well
Still young (26 yo)
Low maintenance guy and great seize

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad