Confirmed with Link: John Tortorella is the New Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Looked around for it to properly credit, but couldn't find it -- someone suggested a few days back that hiring Tortorella would be akin to doing something in anger after a fight with a friend/loved one that you'd regret later.

Yes, the players are responsible for getting HCTR fired. No, they do not need to be coddled. But no, this clown show is not what they need.

I'm glad you aren't a good assessor of coaching talent! ha

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He sounds, in the presser, to be poised, confident and has a plan, I never got that sense with Richards, he always kinda seem befuddled about what needs to happen to change it.

He immediately squashed the Dubi thing, as I thought he would, there is no issue there.

I'm excited we finally have someone that knows what he's doing!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This was in regards to Torts making them do pushups....

Your anger at the hiring of Torts, calling him a clown show and criticizing everything he did early on in this thread and being SO wrong about it, pleases me greatly:laugh:

Is it also coincidence the team is not using a roster spot on Jared Boll for this thus-far successful season? I assume you've also noted Dalton Prout's contribution? Shall I go back and share your posting about Cam Atkinson? Or your posting from the first two GDTs of this season? Where was your confidence in the coach then?

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This was in regards to Torts making them do pushups....

Your anger at the hiring of Torts, calling him a clown show and criticizing everything he did early on in this thread and being SO wrong about it, pleases me greatly:laugh:
And yet, much of why he's been successful is because he's NOT "punishing players" like so many (including yourself) were so desperate to see and that the rest of us were hoping to avoid for fear of making things worse. I wouldn't be so quick to crow at others if I were you.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Is it also coincidence the team is not using a roster spot on Jared Boll for this thus-far successful season? I assume you've also noted Dalton Prout's contribution? Shall I go back and share your posting about Cam Atkinson? Or your posting from the first two GDTs of this season? Where was your confidence in the coach then?

It's all in good fun, we are all right and wrong at some points in the spectrum of CBJ hockey. I would never go back and dig something up but someone else did and I was enjoying reading how angry everyone was. Boll is also making a contribution to a first place club in Anaheim, so I hardly think he was the problem or that the team wouldn't be where they are had he stayed. However, the chemistry is working so whatever it is, I'm happy and I assume everyone else is too. Not sure what's going on with Prout, other than we had a surprise player in Nutivarra, or however it's spelled, I would still like to see us be a little tougher, come playoffs, we will need a bit more bite, but we are team tough for now.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
And yet, much of why he's been successful is because he's NOT "punishing players" like so many (including yourself) were so desperate to see and that the rest of us were hoping to avoid for fear of making things worse. I wouldn't be so quick to crow at others if I were you.

He doesn't need to punish them this year, they are in shape and buying into the system and executing! We are here BECAUSE of what he did last year to toughen them up and get them in shape. Pushups=playoffs

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Hey Jackets faithful, I am curious. What do you guys think of Tortorella as a coach? Has he let this team play their speed or does he have them stop, dropping and blocking like he had the Black and Blueshirts doing years back? Plus this defense has in CBJ mimicks the NYR one that was once real good. Jacket d is very mobile though. Anyways, just was wondering what your thoughts on him were.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Hey Jackets faithful, I am curious. What do you guys think of Tortorella as a coach? Has he let this team play their speed or does he have them stop, dropping and blocking like he had the Black and Blueshirts doing years back? Plus this defense has in CBJ mimicks the NYR one that was once real good. Jacket d is very mobile though. Anyways, just was wondering what your thoughts on him were.

All the episodes we Jackets fans saw of Coach Tortorella had us prepared for the worst. We expected the team to tune him out and watch screaming matches with the local media. And then something funny happened............................nothing.

Yea, there was players called out last year (Johansen, Hartnell, etc.). He didn't hold back when a microphone was put in his face. He told guys before they left last year to be ready for a tough training camp. He told us fans that he didn't care about winning pre-season games. He didn't care if the team had no legs in those games. He was after something else.

Tortorella went to Cleveland and watched the AHL playoffs. He began to learn the prospects. He began to craft a plan to integrate those young guys into roles in the team. Some of the guys we expected to make it, did (Werenski, Anderson). Some of the guys we expected to make it didn't (Bjorkstrand). One of the guys we didn't expect to make it did (Nutivaara).

The team made it through back-to-backs and didn't fold. The team gets to the 3rd period and has plenty of legs left move the puck...... quick.

Columbus has a funny relationship with coaches. If you win in Columbus, you become a GOD (Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, Urban Myers). If this club wins a Stanley Cup with Tortorella here, he will get a street named after him, A rec center ice rink will have his name on it, the pet rescue center will name a wing in his honor and he will get the key to the city.

We think Torts has changed as much as this franchise has changed. Lots of NHL fans don't want to believe that.....and that is their choice. We're not going to waste bandwidth and words to try and convince them.

The passion and fire are still there as strong as ever - the tactics have changed a bit. Not a "blocked shot" one-trick pony. We haven't seen the bile dumps, the venom and immature rage.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
All the episodes we Jackets fans saw of Coach Tortorella had us prepared for the worst. We expected the team to tune him out and watch screaming matches with the local media. And then something funny happened............................nothing.

Yea, there was players called out last year (Johansen, Hartnell, etc.). He didn't hold back when a microphone was put in his face. He told guys before they left last year to be ready for a tough training camp. He told us fans that he didn't care about winning pre-season games. He didn't care if the team had no legs in those games. He was after something else.

Tortorella went to Cleveland and watched the AHL playoffs. He began to learn the prospects. He began to craft a plan to integrate those young guys into roles in the team. Some of the guys we expected to make it, did (Werenski, Anderson). Some of the guys we expected to make it didn't (Bjorkstrand). One of the guys we didn't expect to make it did (Nutivaara).

The team made it through back-to-backs and didn't fold. The team gets to the 3rd period and has plenty of legs left move the puck...... quick.

Columbus has a funny relationship with coaches. If you win in Columbus, you become a GOD (Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, Urban Myers). If this club wins a Stanley Cup with Tortorella here, he will get a street named after him, A rec center ice rink will have his name on it, the pet rescue center will name a wing in his honor and he will get the key to the city.

We think Torts has changed as much as this franchise has changed. Lots of NHL fans don't want to believe that.....and that is their choice. We're not going to waste bandwidth and words to try and convince them.

The passion and fire are still there as strong as ever - the tactics have changed a bit. Not a "blocked shot" one-trick pony. We haven't seen the bile dumps, the venom and immature rage.

Wow. Seems like he has changed this franchise dramatically and for the best. CBJ has a lot of young talent that is already on display. Don't know much about Anderson although he reminds me of a young Callahan. I know Torts loves Atkinson. I do know this, I believe what you said. He scouted the AHL guys and basically put them on notice that this team is going to turn the page from last year and make winning a priority. If you cannot keep up in Torts' camps or practices you will be in the doghouse and in the press box watching that's for sure. Glad it has worked out as CBJ has become a very interesting team to watch this year.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's all in good fun, we are all right and wrong at some points in the spectrum of CBJ hockey. I would never go back and dig something up but someone else did and I was enjoying reading how angry everyone was. Boll is also making a contribution to a first place club in Anaheim, so I hardly think he was the problem or that the team wouldn't be where they are had he stayed. However, the chemistry is working so whatever it is, I'm happy and I assume everyone else is too. Not sure what's going on with Prout, other than we had a surprise player in Nutivarra, or however it's spelled, I would still like to see us be a little tougher, come playoffs, we will need a bit more bite, but we are team tough for now.

LOL yeah you didn't quote year-plus-old posts and celebrate your schadenfreude, someone else did that. Anyway yeah it's been fun.

Last edited:

section 204

Jun 26, 2008
What track record, though? Apart from his year with VAN, as a coach he has a very good track record that includes a Stanley Cup and multiple deep runs in the playoffs.

If you're referring to his track record in dealing with the media... I'm not concerned by that.

If you're referring to his track record for "losing the room", well with VAN I'm not sure he ever had it; a lot of NYR fans would still like to have him and wished he hadn't been let go; and I'm not sure of the story in Tampa.

I don't care about the media. Though that is one way that his volatility manifests.

It is the second point I am referring to, though I wouldn't call it losing the room per se, rather, he grates on people, as most perfectionist coaches do. And his "I don't give a ****" attitude about how people react to this grating only creates a snowball effect. I'm from Tampa, and though I lived here while he was with the bolts, I followed them as a second team. It happened there, and he was only emboldened by the success. It's like it fueled his bravado. Similar signs in NY, and Vancouver was a dumpster fire from the get-go.

This run is awesome, and I'm loving what torts has brought to this franchise, just also know that a day is coming where he will have pissed off many of us. That's what he does. At least it's what he's done. I'd love it if this is the place where he tempers all of that and he runs the bench for ten years. We're successful throughout and he adds at least one more cup to his resume. I'd absolutely love it...I'm just skeptical that that's how it will end. But for now, enjoying the ride!

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
image.jpg

Merry Christmas to You and Your Family, Coach!
Merry Christmas to our Team and all CBJ fans!
:)

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

His philosophy and overall strategy has taken hold. Credit the Assistants for buying in and applying it to the ice. Credit the players for buying in and believing in a guy many of the fans didn't believe in. But credit for Torts for not doubting in himself after the disaster that was VAN, and the World Cup, he stuck to a strategy he knew could work and he deserves all the credit for that.

I know a lot of CBJ fans that expected this team to have a new skipper by New Year's, instead we have a Jack Adams front runner and the best record in the league....and I argue he is accomplishing that without any super stars (though Bob is very good right now).

The fans on of this team deserve a pleasant surprise for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad