Proposal: John Tavares

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Aside from a puck moving RHD, our biggest need is a scoring forward who can take off some pressure of McDavid and Draisaitl. Tavares could be a good fit. I think there's a chance we could get Gretzky and McDavid to talk to him and convince him to come here. We would probably have to dump Lucic's contract. I think Carolina could be a good fit if he agrees to waive his NMC. They can then trade Sekera and this year and next years 1sts for OEL.

Here are the complete list of signings and trades: DYNASTY - Best Top-6 in the NHL AINEC - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
(Cap Hit = 78.5 million, assuming we sign Tavares to 12 million a year)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm just not seeing a world where you can pay 4 forwards a combined 39 million. This team needs a Dman who can transition the puck and work the PP a lot more than they need a scoring winger/centre.
Yea but he has us acquiring Tavares AND OEL.

Sounds realistic.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
That is some serious cap crunch. Probably won't work adding Tavares AND OEL.

And, no way in hell Lucic waives for Carolina of all places. You're stuck with him unfortunately

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yea but he has us acquiring Tavares AND OEL.

Sounds realistic.

You need Lucic to waive his NMC and then you need Carolina to take his full salary on. While the owner and from the sounds of it, acting GM, Tom Dundon wants to get tougher, I am sure he would have advisors requiring the Oilers give up a lot more than Lucic to take Lucic, so it might also cost us a KY, JP plus picks on top of it. But I dont see Lucic waiving to go to Carolina. I dont see Carolina taking his full salary on.

You need Sekera to waive his NMC and then you need Arizona to take his full salary on. Chayka is on record OEL isn't going anywhere and OEL is on record as recently as about 3 days ago stating the same. He loves it in Arizona, I have met him as he lived in the condo complex where I am for a couple years when he was in his rookie contract, and I do believe 100% he loves the lifestyle and weather in Arizona (who doesn't....). I think Arizona who are wanting to get out of permanent rebuild mode, would not want 2 firsts as it keeps them in that mode ( unless OEL is not going to resign) and they wouldn't take damaged goods in Sekera.

While it is an inviting thought, I dont think it is realistic from the standpoint of the other teams.

That said, Tavares could be targeted but I dont see a world where we dump the salary to get him as in dumping the salaries we would have to give up a plethora of picks and prospects like Chicago has done to get rid of contracts. We need the picks and prospects. We dont need Tavares as much as a RH shot top D and those are impossible too find and we need some scoring wingers and depth players. Too many other needs to have big money tied up in 3 forwards along with RNH.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
getting Tavares could make sense if it involved a 2nd move where we traded Draisaitl for a huge fix on defense.

Even then, imo Tavares will get a huge pay day, and I'm not sure he's worth it. He's worth it to a team with low-spending all over so if the contract is 2 million AAV too much, it doesn't hurt so bad. That's not us.

Reactions: Messier11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad