John Tavares vs Brad Marchand

who is better

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Part of the reason for him only playing 68 games was missing 5 due to being suspended. Plus if anything the reason why he's any good with his offense is because of Bergeron, which is the same way Tavares was the reason for Matt Moulson, Kyle Okposo, Josh Bailey and Anders Lee to have great stats playing along side him.

No one is going to mention age when it comes to Marchand?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I disagree-the bolded isn't the question the OP asked.
This is most certainly recency bias, like Matthews is a poor playoff performer.
Aside from 16-17, they were on par last season, and before that Tavares AINEC

They were on par last season? In what way?

Marchand had 1 more point in 18 less games and 21 points in the playoffs. Marchands pace was 103 points last season, he absolutely dominated.

That's like saying a 60 point player was on par with an 82 point player.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tavares was a very good player on a bad team and it's not his fault that Marchand put equally good numbers on a playoff team.

Tavares didn't even lead his team in scoring, embarrassing.

Marchand was leagues above him, comparing the two is like comparing Matthews to McDavid, not even close.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares didn't even lead his team in scoring, embarrassing.

Marchand was leagues above him, comparing the two is like comparing Matthews to McDavid, not even close.
He was 1 total point behind Barzal so don't like it wasn't close between them, even though Tavares outscored him in total goals by 15.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I disagree-the bolded isn't the question the OP asked.
This is most certainly recency bias, like Matthews is a poor playoff performer.
Aside from 16-17, they were on par last season, and before that Tavares AINEC

The generally accepted interpretation of "who is better" would be who is currently better

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was 1 total point behind Barzal so don't like it wasn't close between them, even though Tavares outscored him in total goals by 15.

So he didn't even lead his team in scoring? Thanks for confirming.

Brad Marchand didn't have another player on his team with 85 points neither did he get out scored by anyone on his own team, thanks for making a better argument.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So he didn't even lead his team in scoring? Thanks for confirming.

Brad Marchand didn't have another player on his team with 85 points neither did he get out scored by anyone on his own team, thanks for making a better argument.
I also said Tavares lead the Islanders in total goals scored last season and he was 1 point off the team lead in total points.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I also said Tavares lead the Islanders in total goals scored last season and he was 1 point off the team lead in total points.

Oh wow 37 goals, damn Marchand only had 34.....in 14 less games :laugh:

Too easy, keep going.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I voted Tavares way back when this poll was made. But how can anyone say they had equal offensive production last year? For the past two years it's been Marchand by a good amount.

That said, I believe Tavares will continue his peak/prime longer and will be the better choice going forward.

Edit. Scratch that. I changed my vote to Marchand. Some of these arguments for Tavares here are so off putting.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Edit. Scratch that. I changed my vote to Marchand. Some of these arguments for Tavares here are so off putting.

I'm not sure some of them can even be considered "arguments for Tavares". Some are just random comments that neither dispute what is being said against Tavares, nor actually argue something in Tavares favor.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Thank you not the OP. I don't you can automatically assume that.

Maybe, but you seemed to automatically assume it wasn't so you probably shouldn't be doing that either.

Honestly though, it's pretty ridiculous to assume it's anything but a current comparison

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I hate some of Marchands antics but that doesnt change the fact he is an amazing player and incredibly impactful in all 3 zones

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Marchand for sure. Same offense and he has an edge to his game that Tavares doesn’t. If the poll is which one is the biggest turd it’s also Marchand.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Tavares was a very good player on a bad team and it's not his fault that Marchand put equally good numbers on a playoff team.
Tavares’ team was bad in 17-18 because they couldn’t keep the puck out of their net. The bruins only scored 6 more goals than the islanders last year. If anything playing in Doug weight’s run and gun system inflated JT’s production. Why is it so hard for you to understand that for the past 2 seasons Marchand has been better than JT in all 3 zones?

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Tavares’ team was bad in 17-18 because they couldn’t keep the puck out of their net. The bruins only scored 6 more goals than the islanders last year. If anything playing in Doug weight’s run and gun system inflated JT’s production. Why is it so hard for you to understand that for the past 2 seasons Marchand has been better than JT in all 3 zones?

This is true.
Did Capuano also inflate his numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad