John Tavares Versus Nicklas Backstrom

Who has been the better player?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I took JT but if there was a too close to call option I would have taken that one.

Reactions: banks

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I'm going with Tavares. At their bests Tavares was more dynamic offensive player and was twice a Hart trophy nominee.

I think Backstrom's "two-way" play to be kinda overstated and he has spent his whole career been in maybe the the most advantageous position possible-centering the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Jan 21, 2018
Felt the same but landed on Backstrom because of a better two-way game and more playoff success.

How much playoff success do you think Nick Backstrom would have if his best line mate was PA Parenteau and then signed with a team that doesn’t get past the first round? And how much playoff success do you think Tavares would have if he played with Ovechkin, Carlson etc.?

Reactions: banks

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
It's pretty close but I'll go with Tavares

While Backstrom is undoubtedly talented, he's also had the benefit of playing alongside Ovechkin for his entire career

If Tavares was afforded that same opportunity instead of being straddled with Moulson and Parenteau, he would have eclipsed 100 points at some point in his career and also won the Art Ross at some point

I also personally rank Tavares' Hart worthy 2012-13 season as the best individual season between these two

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd lean toward Tavares because of peak. Tavares had about a 2-3 year stretch where he was playing like a top 5 center. Backstrom's never done that.

Backstrom's better defensively, but I'm not sure that makes up for the lower peak.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
How much playoff success do you think Nick Backstrom would have if his best line mate was PA Parenteau and then signed with a team that doesn’t get past the first round? And how much playoff success do you think Tavares would have if he played with Ovechkin, Carlson etc.?

Tavares next to Marner and Rielly didn't generate any playoff success, so I'm not sure. I guess we'll never find out.

Reactions: North Cole

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Backstrom gets this just because he has the completeness of resume we've kind of waited on Tavares to have throughout his career that hasn't quite materialized (yet?). Looking back at Tavares' pre-Leaf days he never really caught up to his contemporary comparable Steven Stamkos in pure production, didn't quite manage to have the "intangible" success of a Jonathan Toews with the Islanders, and never really separated himself as that generational player people thought he would be scoring 70 plus goals in the OHL 2x years out from his draft year.

The expectations for Backstrom at the beginning of his career was nowhere near as high as Ovechkin's sidekick, but has methodically crossed off a 100 point season, a Stanley Cup, closing in on 1,000 points, etc.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Backstrom gets this just because he has the completeness of resume we've kind of waited on Tavares to have throughout his career that hasn't quite materialized (yet?). Looking back at Tavares' pre-Leaf days he never really caught up to his contemporary comparable Steven Stamkos in pure production, didn't quite manage to have the "intangible" success of a Jonathan Toews with the Islanders, and never really separated himself as that generational player people thought he would be scoring 70 plus goals in the OHL 2x years out from his draft year.

The expectations for Backstrom at the beginning of his career was nowhere near as high as Ovechkin's sidekick, but has methodically crossed off a 100 point season, a Stanley Cup, closing in on 1,000 points, etc.

I think it was pretty obvious to anyone who watched him in his 17 year old and 18 year old seasons that he wasn't going to be a generational player. His playoffs, in particular, highlighted that. Typically, players like Crosby and McDavid absolutely GO OFF in the playoffs. Tavares' playoff numbers, in comparison, were nothing special (relatively speaking).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it was pretty obvious to anyone who watched him in his 17 year old and 18 year old seasons that he wasn't going to be a generational player. His playoffs, in particular, highlighted that. Typically, players like Crosby and McDavid absolutely GO OFF in the playoffs. Tavares' playoff numbers, in comparison, were nothing special (relatively speaking).

Well, if you remember his stock dropped significantly entering the 2009 draft. He went from the presumptive first overall going back as far as 2006 to all of a sudden the idea that Hedman (and even maybe Duchene) had surpassed him as the likely 1st overall pick. So he was definitely downgraded, but remained one of those Hockey Canada darlings. Not to say the guy isn't a superstar, but I'd say he's not quite lived up to the high bar he set for himself in his early junior career.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

But ive been told Matthews is the new Ovechkin and that Reilly should win the Norris?

For real the fact that Toronto(including Tavares) can't make it past the first round despite having(for real) such great players is a nod in Bäckströms favor.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Backstrom, offensively and defensively.

It's close though, good poll.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Felt the same but landed on Backstrom because of a better two-way game and more playoff success.

Perhaps team success but he has also played on better teams.

Their individual playoff resumes are pretty equal as are their regular season ones with JT perhaps having the higher absolute independent peak.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Tavares seems to be put in the upper echelon of centers but imo always leaves you expecting more. Iirc the last playoffs as an islander is when he finally looked like he would take the next step and then he just didn't. Getting drafted that high also has expectations Backstrom didn't have. Tavares hasn't come close to backstroms best season

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
But tbh, Tavares has been EXTREMELY underwhelming. The amount of hype this dude got and he has almost nothing to show for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad