Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I still see it as Trotz wanted to be a head coach and the Islanders were his only option, plus they were willing to pay more than the Capitals.

Like I said before if some Islanders thought them just hiring Lou would talk Tavares into re-signing, why didn't that happen a few days after Lou was officially hired?

I think this was a contract year for Trotz, right?

So, he’s been thinking of getting paid for a while. He’s a top tier coach after all. He sees what guys like Babcock and Quenneville are getting paid. He just won Lord Stanley. He probably saw dollar signs when he lifted the Cup in Vegas a couple weeks ago. So, after knowing he couldn’t get that kind of coin in Washington, he jumped at the Islander offer. He simply made his financially diligent free agency move. His other options were to take time off, make no money, and there’s no guarantees he’ll land another job when he wants back in. He could work for way less in Washington. Not surprisingly, he took his contract of a lifetime, and cashed in on an offer he’ll likely never see again in his life. He probably thinks to himself, this might not be the safest team to go coach, with JT or not, but I have no other options, and I just won a ring anyways, so I’ll take that risk. It doesn’t change their issues on defense and goal one lick. JT knows it. Lou knows it. Trotz knows it.

And as for Lou, why has he been in contact every day with JT/Brisson anyways? Maybe that’s a sign the Isles are making progress, but it could also mean they’re getting more and more desperate?

The more I think of all that’s happened since Lou went to NY the more I realize that this is not an easy news story to draw strong conclusions on, that’s for sure.

And this must be really tough on JT, knowing his personality as it seems via media interviews, how his teammates describe him, and and how he is on the ice. He seems so dedicated to them, like he really sincerely wanted to be an Islander for life and bring them back to glory. I think he always dreamt of being a one city guy, like Yzerman, Sakic, Lemieux, and so many other prolific stars of the past. In NY, he saw it in Bossy. He felt an obligation to be that guy for the Islanders at 18 years old when they drafted him. He then eventually became captain. He always hoped he’d be that guy and the Isles would maybe even get back to their glory years, but it just never came true. Not even remotely true. When they did have some small success, players still didn’t stick around.

So now, amongst that backdrop, does he suddenly believe they’re turning the corner with Barzal, some other decent scorers, a questionable defence and really sub par goaltending? Not to mention a terrible arena situation and no concrete answers about the future arena? That’s not going to help attract other free agents either. Does Lou and Barry Trotz magically change any of those things?

All JT has known his entire career is Islander hockey. Their mostly sub par on-ice product and their abundance of off ice issues. Not to say Toronto doesn’t have its own issues, but if Shanny gets to present to JT, I think he can ease JTs concerns in that department. He certainly stands a good chance at painting a better lifestyle with the Leafs than in Long Island.

JT, for the first time in his entire life, if he gets to free agency, is going to see what hockey is like in other cities outside of Long Island. And the Leafs, with their wealth, can offer a lot of lifestyle perks which many other teams can’t. Their defense depth is better than most think, and it’s certainly not as bad as it is in NY. If JT signs with the Leafs, they have options to make a bold move for a D man and still have ample offense. Not sure if NY can say the same. There’s a media spotlight, but that can be a beautiful thing when times are good, and the pressure, if any, will be shared with a lot of other star players and the coach. He might actually be way less stressed off the ice in Toronto than in NY. On the Island, Lou will have him shaving every day. In Toronto, his mom will be living just up the road to make his favourite meals during home stands. :)

I’m swaying back and forth on this story way too much. Sometimes I feel strongly like he’s going to stick it out in NY, he’s too loyal of a dude and feels some kind of obligation towards them, and then at other times I feel like he’ll be convinced to break free of his Islander shackles and see what life is like in another place, and how big the opportunity is in Toronto for him, right now.

If he gets to the talking window, which it seems he will, things could get very interesting.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lou may have put us in a pickle though with the 3rd year of the Marleau deal.

But all accounts he's done wonders for the kids development. Perfect role model for those guys. Franchises like Buffalo wish they could bring in a similar type guy to mentor their kids. So wrong.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
As someone said before Lou didn't help bring Stamkos to the Leafs and what guarantee is he able to re-sign Tavares for the Islanders? Maybe Dubas might have more luck?

Stamkos was a much different situation. You could easily argue the lightning are in a better position than us long term. Plus he's got the better financial situation in Tampa and he appears to cower from the spotlight which he would have got here. So can't blame Lou for that one. JT seemed more likely to be inclined to at least seriously consider playing here and the Isles were a tire fire pre Lou.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Perhaps it is better to actually wait and see what JT does before drawing conclusions.

If he comes here that would be great. Well depending on salary of course. I'm just presenting a scenario that seems most likely right now. Could change at any moment.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
But all accounts he's done wonders for the kids development. Perfect role model for those guys. Franchises like Buffalo wish they could bring in a similar type guy to mentor their kids. So wrong.
I liked the Marleau signing, but it would have been better if it was 2 years. Perhaps though the 3rd year is what sealed it. It is just unfortunate the 3rd year overlaps with the 2nd contracts of Matthews and Marner, and a FA class with Doughty and Karlsson.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You literally came into this thread taking unreasonable potshots at Dubas, that’s why people respond the way they do.

I don't see it that way, but you're entitled to your opinion. I'm more talking in general. I've become painted as anti Dubas when really I just liked the set up we had and don't drink tall glasses of Dubas Kool aid like a lot of folks on here.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You just called him out for doing nothing! Of course you are saying that.

Calling out and stating facts are different things. I'm not saying he's terrible because he didn't make a trade yet.

But I also refuse to give him credit if he has success with a team built by Burke and Lou and doesnt make major changes or major additions.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Mueller, Moore, Holl, Marchment, LoVerde, Smith etc and then he would've been heavily involved with the Maple Leafs drafts (especially '15) since he's been upper management since he's joined the Leafs, so a majority of them.

I mean he was the Marlies GM, so this shouldn't come as a surprise that he was heavily involved with the team.:propeller

Yes but the vast majority of the key contributors to the team he had nothing to do with. Sure he added a couple spare parts, but most of the key guys were brought in by past GMs. But don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Marchment, Aaltonen, Borgman, Rosen, Moore, Loverde, Holl, Pickard, off the top of my head.

Brought in Keefe as coach.

A lot of those were Lou signings actually. Dubas would have only been responsible for guys on AHL contracts. They didn't let him sign guys to big boy contacts.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A lot of those were Dubas signings actually, but dont let that get in the way of a good narrative.
Like for example "Rielly is a 3rd pairing d man.
I like Lou, but I dont drink the old boy older dino drink that some do.

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't see it that way, but you're entitled to your opinion. I'm more talking in general. I've become painted as anti Dubas when really I just liked the set up we had and don't drink tall glasses of Dubas Kool aid like a lot of folks on here.

Nope wrong as usual.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I don't see how we can make a competitive offer to Tavares without first having clarity on what it will cost to lock up Matthews, Marner, and Nylander.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Calling out and stating facts are different things. I'm not saying he's terrible because he didn't make a trade yet.

But I also refuse to give him credit if he has success with a team built by Burke and Lou and doesnt make major changes or major additions.
Wrong again. Taking pot shots but yeah your totally unbiased, and am the greatest smartest person. Sorry maybe dreams become reality but your wrong again.
I refuse to give Lou credit for riding the cotails of Dubas the entire time. Thats fact, but its too bad your facts are the ones that you heavily weigh even they are incorrect.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I don't see how we can make a competitive offer to Tavares without first having clarity on what it will cost to lock up Matthews, Marner, and Nylander.
Of course you don’t, because you’ve never even tried to solve it. This fallacy that the leafs are in future cap hell is just pathetic. News flash people, top heavy teams win cups, not this balanced 4 line gud pro grinder bullshit

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Of course you don’t, because you’ve never even tried to solve it. This fallacy that the leafs are in future cap hell is just pathetic. News flash people, top heavy teams win cups, not this balanced 4 line gud pro grinder bull****

But aren't the Leafs potentially destined to be top heavy even without Tavares? With him it starts to get real tricky. Or am I wrong?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Trotz coached the Caps and Babcock coached a team trying to get the #1 overall pick... lol
He lead the whole league and his overall coach record when coaching a poor expansion team for many of them shows just how good a coach he is. Best coach in the League in my opinion that is not a slight against Babcock just my opinion.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
But aren't the Leafs potentially destined to be top heavy even without Tavares? With him it starts to get real tricky. Or am I wrong?
No, you ditch the 4th line and reduce them to 8 mins a night with league min contracts. It really isn't a problem.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
A lot of those were Lou signings actually. Dubas would have only been responsible for guys on AHL contracts. They didn't let him sign guys to big boy contacts.
So in your opinion Dubas did nothing in his time here and Shanny still hired him to be GM? You must hate Shanahan most of all if that's the case.

You're also still delusional if you think the management make up could have stayed the same this year.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Hey Bud, Reading is fun DUH mental. Best season ever? Maybe most points in the regular season, fine. Best season ever? Third place finish. First round loss? Best season ever. Ok Bud. Never said Babcock sucks, but then again reading is funDUH and especially mental in your case. Enjoy. I'll type sloooooooooooooooooooooooooower for you next time.

was any of that english? i cant begin to imagine how insecure,hostile and needy you are. yikes!!!!

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Tavares will listen to offers. It's too close to the UFA period for him and his agent not to do that.

Lets hope that Dubas/Gilman/Pridman have something truly creative planned for Tavares, who is a very intelligent person.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

With him it starts to get a little bit tricky (especially when trying to improve the defense), without Tavares the Leafs have no cap issues even if they give the big 3 11/8/8 caphits. The cap just went up an additional 5m and will continue to go up when Seattle joins the league. Add to that the fact that 2 of our core players (Rielly and Kadri) are signed to sweetheart contracts, we have no longterm anchor contracts, and you can see we are in a great position moving forward.

Go take a look at capfriendly if you want some more reassurance.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So now, amongst that backdrop, does he suddenly believe they’re turning the corner with Barzal, some other decent scorers, a questionable defence and really sub par goaltending? Not to mention a terrible arena situation and no concrete answers about the future arena? That’s not going to help attract other free agents either. Does Lou and Barry Trotz magically change any of those things?
This is another thing I have said before and I will say it again. The belief I have read among some Islanders fans is that Lou will trade for Philipp Grubauer who can solve their goaltending issues in the short term and that will show Tavares they are trying to be a better team. In my opinion that's no different than the time Toronto traded for Jonathan Bernier and that didn't work out for them. Plus if I'm sure Tavares see's that the Leafs have Frederik Andersen who is a #1 Goalie with much more experience and has playoff experience, even going back to his time in Anaheim. People might forget he got the Ducks to Game 7 of the 2015 Western Conference Final.

Reactions: Goonface2k14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad