Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why would you even think that? And he won't be a UFA in 3 years.
The Leafs can pay to the cap max, have a great management team, the Marlies just won the Calder cup and they have a terrific young core.
I know you may think this is a bad team that can never win, most in hockey disagree. And I have no idea why Nashville would be better than Toronto in 3 years anyways.

He could go as an RFA, however I think he’ll wait until he’s a UFA.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If Tavares signs before Monday (the day other teams can talk to him) im going to lose my mind. Not because we didnt get him, but because its just another reason that UFAs make the NHL so unexciting.

Reactions: PromisedLand

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Lol Islanders did not and now they do and he is not going to SAN Jose the old mans team. If he does not resign he signs with the Leafs for obvious reasons.
We will see soon. He has many options. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Isles just switched 8 more home games from Barclay's to Nassau next season. Something tells me Johnny's calling the shots. You can feel it's going to happen soon.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
When Mike Babcock accepted the Leafs head coaching job their roster was a lot worse than Detroit, San Jose and St. Louis who were also interested in him. The only one at the time comparable to the Leafs was Buffalo, however others said since they would be getting Jack Eichel that puts them ahead of Toronto.

I think Babcock went for the big money, as did Trotz (with less options and less leverage). And if Buffalo was offering a similar contract to Babs, I’m thinking him and his family preferred living in Toronto instead of Buffalo.

Winning on the ice is a dangerous thing to chase, because who knows what could happen with any team from year to year, so you might as well secure your $$ first, especially if you’re a coach or an average to below-average player, and win in the bank account first. Coaches know they’re hired to be fired, way easier to replace over a player, and so they better strike while the iron is hot to get their big contract. In fact, in Babcocks case, the fact that the Leafs were terrible at the time might’ve been inticing because it gave him a longer leash, because everyone knew there would be pain.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Well looks like the impact of selecting Dubas over Lou will cost us Hunter and a good shot at Tavares.

Shows the value of an experienced GM with a strong reputation. Hopefully Dubas has some tricks up his sleeve to counter.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why would he go? If he is not happy with the coach, Babcock will leave before Matthews does. My bet is Matthews is a Leaf till at least his mid 30s.

My guess, Babcock will be gone after the lock-out season.

Matthews has to figure out his back issue. If it’s chronic he’ll have to sign a long term deal.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Not according to their coaching records. Wins over the last 3 years or more wins ever Trotz is better and my opinion is that Trotz is the better coach.

Trotz coached the Caps and Babcock coached a team trying to get the #1 overall pick... lol

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He seems like a guy who doesn’t like change (like Stankos) so I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t optnto leave New York, but I don’t think it’s a lock it’ll happen that way though

This right here, personality-wise he comes across as loyal and too loss-averse to accept the risk of *any* change. Even though the Isles have done nothing to earn his loyalty, and staying there is even more risky than leaving as far as winning opportunities in the future, it's hard to imagine him leaving now that they're no longer a complete tire fire.

I don't understand why so many NHL players are like this. Is it just because hockey takes team-first and play-it-safe mentalities to such an extreme? It doesn't at all match what I see in normal careers, where ambitious people seek out better opportunities all the time (even if they're great team players). It seems like it would be a boring existence to spend your entire 20s and 30s doing the exact same thing and minimizing change, especially when you're unlikely to meet your career goals that way. Different strokes I guess.

Reactions: PromisedLand

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
My guess, Babcock will be gone after the lock-out season.

Matthews has to figure out his back issue. If it’s chronic he’ll have to sign a long term deal.
You are laughably negative. Matthews has missed time in 1 of his 2 NHl seasons. He'a not exactly Lupul. Now his back will threaten his career? And no stars make it to UFA but Matthews will. He's only made the playoffs 2 out of 2 years unlike most of his peers. LOL.
Relax.
You've decided this core is a bust and can't win. Hilarious. They were dead-last 2 years ago. Do you understand you need to be patient?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Babcock went for the big money, as did Trotz (with less options and less leverage). And if Buffalo was offering a similar contract to Babs, I’m thinking him and his family preferred living in Toronto instead of Buffalo.

Winning on the ice is a dangerous thing to chase, because who knows what could happen with any team from year to year, so you might as well secure your $$ first, especially if you’re a coach or an average to below-average player, and win in the bank account first. Coaches know they’re hired to be fired, way easier to replace over a player, and so they better strike while the iron is hot to get their big contract. In fact, in Babcocks case, the fact that the Leafs were terrible at the time might’ve been inticing because it gave him a longer leash, because everyone knew there would be pain.
It would have been interesting if more teams besides the Islanders were looking for coaches. So as I said before Trotz option was to accept it or wait for something else.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If Tavares doesn't come here, he is making a huge mistake.

The bums on long Island wasted a decade of his life surrounding him with nothings and people are talking about "loyalty?" That's not loyalty, that's Stockholm Syndrome. Whatever, if he doesn't sign with us, he can have fun rotting on the Island. Still an NHL goalie, 2+ defenseman and some decent bottom 9ers from going anywhere aka VERY far away.

Meanwhile he can literally win in his hometown and go down a legend??? Eziest choice of my life.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Well looks like the impact of selecting Dubas over Lou will cost us Hunter and a good shot at Tavares.

Shows the value of an experienced GM with a strong reputation. Hopefully Dubas has some tricks up his sleeve to counter.
More NHl teams want Dubas as their GM than Hunter or Lou. To blame this on Dubas for Tavares (He has not signed!) is ridiculous.
Hunter has never even had an NHL team ask to speak with him about a GM role. Dubas has had 4 in total by age 32.
Lou is 76. How many teams want a guy that age running tings?

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
sure bud.....yikes..best season ever but yeah, babcock sucks and we dont need him. you cant make this **** up boys.

Hey Bud, Reading is fun DUH mental. Best season ever? Maybe most points in the regular season, fine. Best season ever? Third place finish. First round loss? Best season ever. Ok Bud. Never said Babcock sucks, but then again reading is funDUH and especially mental in your case. Enjoy. I'll type sloooooooooooooooooooooooooower for you next time.

Reactions: dsred

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Bob Mackenzie think sJohn Tavares won't sign and will speak to teams next week.

Can you all plaease relax and stop assuming he is signed? John Tavares is speaking with the Leafs next week.

This is now 2 reports in the past week stating Tavares is about to sign and it has not happened.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
More NHl teams want Dubas as their GM than Hunter or Lou. To blame this on Dubas for Tavares (He has not signed!) is ridiculous.
Hunter has never even had an NHL team ask to speak with him about a GM role. Dubas has had 4 in total by age 32.
Lou is 76. How many teams want a guy that age running tings?

Seems to be working for the Isles. Team was in shambles. He seems to have righted the ship, brought in the most successful coach of the 17-18 season and managed to turn Tavares from all but gone to all but signed.

Dubas signed a bunch of AHL guys to extensions in the same time period.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Seems to be working for the Isles. Team was in shambles. He seems to have righted the ship, brought in the most successful coach of the 17-18 season and managed to turn Tavares from all but gone to all but signed.

Dubas signed a bunch of AHL guys to extensions in the same time period.

Do you feel you are jumping the gun about a team that has not signed it's franchise centre yet? If Tavares leaves it's 1 step forward 2 steps back.

And knocking Dubas for no signings or trades yet? LOL. Seriously? He was GM of the Calder Cup winning team last week.
Lou has done a lot because he had to fire a bunch of people. He really hasn't done much.

I can't believe the lack of patience of Leaf fans on here. Now Dubas has done nothing since winning the Calder Cup 7 days ago. LOL. He's been busy winning the first pro hockey chamionaship in Toronto in 50 years and can't sign any UFAs and there's no one to fire since the Leafs are in much better shape than the Islanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad