John Tavares' Next Contract

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
$100 million/8 years or $95 million/7 years

Don't see him taking a discount if the Islanders don't make a significant playoff run in the next two years.

If you look at the top 5-6 centers in the league right now, all of them have cups except for Tavares.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
$100 million/8 years or $95 million/7 years

Don't see him taking a discount if the Islanders don't make a significant playoff run in the next two years.

If you look at the top 5-6 centers in the league right now, all of them have cups except for Tavares.

Which teams that are favorites for the Cup can afford Tavares?

It's easy to say "he won't win one in New York" (whether that's true or not is another point), but where's signing that has a better shot at the Cup and can afford what he'll command?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Snow better give him a boatload of money. Blank check. Also his 1st,2nd, and third born sons.

Tavares is the isles Franchise. He's also, paid his dues and has been on a sweetheart deal for most of, if not all of this current contract. It's time to pay him.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd say 8 years, 80 million sounds right. The Isles are a team built to be good for that tenure, so I don't think he'll want to leave, but I doubt he leaves money on the table like the last deal.

That said, it will be fun watching the Toronto media dream about UFA scenarios. The only thing that might give it validity is if guys like Nylander and Marner progress quicker than expected (won't even mention Matthews because the kid already looks like a legit top line player and the season hasn't even started). If those kids progress quickly, maybe JT looks at returning to the Isles vs going home to the Leafs and says, "I can play with Ladd and Bailey and have Ryan Strome as my 2C to (hopefully) draw some attention away from me, OR I could land a bigger pay day (including much larger endorsement opportunities) and play in front of family and friends, with a winger like Marner or Nylander and Matthews as my 2C to draw some of the tough match ups."

It's unlikely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Still though, JT kind of seems like the type to play for one team his whole career.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'd be surprised if he gets under 10. Stamkos' deal isn't the new norm because he'd already regressed. Toews/Kane/Kopitar are still the set markers

I would agree. Stammer is a goal scorer and those guy's production will drop off first. Plus, the favourable tax situation in TB makes the deal closer in take home dollars to those other 3.

I would expect an 8 figure deal for Tavares. Isles better figure out their arena situation. July 2017, they can officially extend him. Would think Tavares is tired of being a nomad.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
I would offer him north of 12mil as a Canucks fan. We got the Sedins coming off the books soon, and none of our younger guys will be getting a big paycheck anytime soon.

Plus we have no player that will possibly replace the Sedin's anytime soon.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'd be shocked if he leaves the Isles. They'll pay him what he wants, within reason.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He genuinely seems to like the team, the area, and the management there.

And I don't think the Isles are going to try and nickel and dime him either.

I think it's a very quick, clean contract signing for something between 9-10 million. No Stamkos drama.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad