John Tavares' Next Contract

Robert Esche Fan*

Mar 21, 2015
The internet
Do you guys think John Tavares could become the NHL's highest paid player on his next contract? When his current contract ends he'll be in his prime, and if he chooses to go to free agency then pretty much every team is going to want him. I think it could be close. What do you guys think?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Someone will offer him north of $12 million per season.

Just like Stamkos I doubt he actually goes anywhere. These players almost never leave the team that drafts them.

I predict he resigns with the Islanders for $10.5 million per.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
9.5 mill a year for 8 years with the isles. If he goes to free agency i could see him getting 11 million a year

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd be surprised if he gets under 10. Stamkos' deal isn't the new norm because he'd already regressed. Toews/Kane/Kopitar are still the set markers

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thing is, stat wise, Tavares has never babe em as good in his career as Stamkos. Argue all you want player wise. So are we sure that Stammers contract isn't the norm?

Toews, Kane, Kopitar. 3 cups, 3 cups, 2 cups. All have a pedigree of 70+ points and solid playoff performances. Maybe they are the outliers.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Thing is, stat wise, Tavares has never babe em as good in his career as Stamkos. Argue all you want player wise. So are we sure that Stammers contract isn't the norm?

Toews, Kane, Kopitar. 3 cups, 3 cups, 2 cups. All have a pedigree of 70+ points and solid playoff performances. Maybe they are the outliers.

Tavares has been better than Stamkos in the past 4 years

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Tavares hasn't been as good as Stamkos' peak, but Stamkos would have gotten a much bigger deal if he re-signed before his broken leg. At this point Stamkos' regression, the fact that he's fallen down the depth chart in terms of team importance, and the fact that there's other guys that need to be re-signed made it a situation where he wasn't going to get paid like a franchise player. Tavares is as important to the Isles as any other player is to his team, and will likely get paid as such.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Probably somewhere between Stamkos and Toews. 9-9.5 million.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
In a dream scenario he takes 8 years x $9,100,000 AAV. More realistically, I'll predict he takes 8 years x $10,000,000 AAV. Even though I think Kopitar is easily the better player, Isles are in no position to play hardball.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can't see him coming to the Leafs. Leafs will have their RFAs to sign, and top RFAs are getting close to UFA money. Zaitsev, Nylander, Marner and Matthews.....if they play as expected (hope) there may not be enough money for JT or any high profile UFA.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Looks like he's going to have a career year.

He'll still keep his contract reasonable though because he wants to win more than make as much money as possible.

So, to answer the OP's question - no.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Any chance we can have him change his number to something like 50? :sarcasm:

Seriously, if GMs even get a whiff of superstition from their player interviews, they should assign all their top prospects the lowest numbers possible. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad