Post-Game Talk: John Tavares is a Toronto Maple Leaf.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Of course they are, because they know there's a lot of idiots out there who care more about a brief scrum than the outcome of the game. They try to rile people up to attract attention, not provide quality analysis
Unfortunately that’s how the media works. Also doesn’t help that they played an AHL team on a back to back

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Coles notes?

Doesn’t mind Matthews going at Konecny. Said that he doesn’t want Matthews fighting if he doesn’t have to, that teammates sticking up for each other is just as if not more galvanizing as Matthews actually fighting. Said Matthews doesn’t always start shit like a Tkachuk brother and as such it’s rare to see Auston in these scrums and you want the other Leafs on the ice to jump the assailant and send the message that you don’t touch Matthews or any of our other stars.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

They said Matthews did nothing wrong?

Not sure. They did mention that he needs to get rid of the smile. My original point was what Marchard/Debrusk do tomorrow night after seeing the scrum. Maybe they do nothing. Did not want to get into the was Matthews right or wrong debate.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Not sure. They did mention that he needs to get rid of the smile. My original point was what Marchard/Debrusk do tomorrow night after seeing the scrum. Maybe they do nothing. Did not want to get into the was Matthews right or wrong debate.

Matthews has a bit of a temper physically in game. He’ll run guys if they give him a hard time, even if he won’t engage in a scrum.

I don’t think seeing this scrum will give Marchand or Debrusk free-reign

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
You're not content with the most expensive Lamborghini in your garage and making sure it's not unnecessarily driven during conditions it doesn't need to go in. You also want the lambo to go offroad, to fly, to race and go in the water, instead of being content that the other cars you have do that to keep letting your Lambo be the fastest and best performing car in your garage.

This analogy is weird, but I don't think it's quite a good one for your argument.
Flying and offroading is great, but I'd like to see the Lambo drop the gloves once in awhile

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Ron Francis and Mark Messier have said it’s important for a star players to snap once in a while to keep the opposition honest. I’ll trust the word of Hall of Famers on this one.

In the end, Matthews disengaged from a scrum with a 5’10” agitator so a 39 year old teammate and a 5’10” teammate could defend him after a round of ankle slashes.

Is it the end of the world? No. Did his teammates do well there? Yes. Could Matthews have done a little bit more? Ideally.

This also raises the biggest question and it goes back to Dubas. If Matthews (and our stars) are so precious and we need to keep them from harm’s way, why don’t we have the correct personnel to protect them?
Who would you estimate the right people are?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What about Hayes, Noodles and the woman on Overdrive who are discussing it at the moment ??
Because they know how it makes the mouth breathers frothy, and it's trying to keep them relevant because they know jack shit like the ones they are riling up.

Case in point.

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Matthews has a bit of a temper physically in game. He’ll run guys if they give him a hard time, even if he won’t engage in a scrum.

I don’t think seeing this scrum will give Marchand or Debrusk free-reign
Matthews only needs to play hard between the whistles.

Anything else is unnecessary.

Reactions: The Podium

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Has everything Sittler had and more but Sittler had an "edge" that Matty lacks. Sit would have had a slightly different reaction than Matty had last night. ;) My favourite Leaf along with the big Swede.
Curious on how the big swede would have reacted.. I remember him being a bit passive as well.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I mean like last night, with Bunting butting in with gloves all a flutter into the fight after Matthews and Konecny were already at it.

And then waited until everyone was tied up, the scuffle was done, and Konecny had his back to him, before jumping him again.

The fakest tough guy, our Buntypants

Reactions: Havoc

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Curious on how the big swede would have reacted.. I remember him being a bit passive as well.

Sundin was pretty good at the shoving matched and also had a nice bear hug to settle things down. Later in his career I didn’t get the sense that he was a star that other tough guys would try and use and abuse. That’s more of a young man’s game I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad