Proposal: John Tavares (hear me out)

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
So paying John Tavares $1 million a year more than Andrew MacDonald is a kings ransom?

One prospect with a 2nd line center ceiling doesn't solve the flyers scoring problems and make everything great. The future is good, not great. Good doesn't get you out of the 1st round. And the pens don't need both Crosby and Malkin, but they don't win any cups without both.

1. Nico and Patrick do not have 2nd liner ceiling. They both have #1 potential and if they were to become 2nd line centers that has a ton of value getting them at 18.

2. Tavares would never sign for 6.6 aav. Try like 9 mil aav ..

3. The Flyers are very mediocre right now and their only chance of a legit contender is as a result of the long term retool stacking the pipeline in a few years. Not giving a massive long term deal to an albeit great but declining 27 year old

Hextall has a long term plan that will pay huge dividends in the future. Expediting a short term better team at the expense of that long term great future doesnt make sense.

Flyers are in a long term retool set to start killing it in like 2019-2020. Hextall would never do this Tavares deal so it's pointless to talk about it.

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Leave this type of speculation to the Leafs fans. Jesus.

I'd bet good money Tavares doesnt leave NYI. He doesnt strike me as guy that would jump ship.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I dont like the idea of giving out big contracts to FAs...but JT is an exception. The league is just too conpetitive...you need exceptional talent to win a cup these days so if you have the oppurtunity to land one, you do.

Even if all the prospects pan out...they could still run into mcdavid in the finals like the 80s flyers had to deal with gretzky.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem is whether Tavares will be an elite talent in 3 years, or will he slip a notch like Giroux and Voracek.
I don't want to be a little better the next two years to be in cap hell three years from now when we have to start paying the young players.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I dont like the idea of giving out big contracts to FAs...but JT is an exception. The league is just too conpetitive...you need exceptional talent to win a cup these days so if you have the oppurtunity to land one, you do.

Even if all the prospects pan out...they could still run into mcdavid in the finals like the 80s flyers had to deal with gretzky.

If McDavids oilers turn into a Gretzky like dynasty I don't think adding an almost 30 year old JT as a difference maker.

There is a cap now. You can't just throw around contracts like it's the 80s no matter how much you want to. It just won't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad