Proposal: John Tavares (hear me out)

TheBlackFish

Jun 22, 2016
Ok I'm sure people are sick of talking about Taveres but I was thinking what I would do next offseason if I were Hextall and was curious if anyone knows if this contract proposal would be allowed under the CBA... If, and it's a big if in itself, Taveres hits free agency, would a team be allowed to sign him to a one year deal, and then after a short amount of time (1 day or after one game) sign him to an 8 year deal (free agents can only sign 7 year deals but this would be his 2nd contract). This would be interesting because the Flyers will be in unfamiliar territory next year in that they will have an incredible amount of cap space to work with, albeit for only one year (Simmonds, Provo, Sanheim, Konecny all due huge raises the following year). The way I see it they would have about 12 million in cap space (Assumptions: Raffl goes in expansion draft, likely contracts already signed: Ghost 4.375m, Morin 2.25m, Hagg 900k, Weal 1.75m, Laughton 1.5m, Vechionne 1.25m, Hirshier/Patrick & Lindblom on rookie deals, goalies in the system used). Moving MacDonald w/ two years left on his deal after two years worth of league salary cap increases is very doable, bringing the cap space up to 16 million (Phillipe Myers called up for AMac)...

So the question is, after all this hypothetical craziness, could they offer Taveres 1yr 14.6 million, then immediately sign him for 8 yr, 52.9 million, 6.613m AAV. End result being a 9 yr, 68 million contract very front loaded with a low cap hit when it counts. Time value of money makes this contract comparable to 9 million a year over 7 years (reasonable expectation on the free agent market) with the added security of 2 extra years and not handcuffing your team for a decade. Yes it only averages out to 7.5 million a year but being front loaded, and factoring in inflation and investment return, he'd end up with more money in the end. If I were his financial advisor I'd say take this over a 7 year, 63 million contract, averaging 9 million AAV, especially if it gets you out of Brooklyn.

A lot to take in I know but with that kind of cap hit the Flyers could have an elite lineup for many years while still being able to resign guys like Simmonds, and all the soon to be expensive defenseman, which would be impossible under a normal deal.

2018-19 lines:
Giroux - Tavares - Voracek
Konecny - Hirshier/Patrick - Simmonds
Lindblom - Couturier - Schenn
Weal - Rubstov - Vecchione
Laughton/Weise

Provorov - Gostisberre
Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Gudas (most feared pairing ever)
Hagg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No sensible player in Tavares' shoes would risk signing a one year deal in his prime.

Yeah that's not happening. He's signing the max 7-8 year deal depending on who he signs with.

I'm actually kind of curious where he'll go if not New York. The common answer would be Toronto but I don't think they really need him at the contract it would cost to sign him.

TheBlackFish

Jun 22, 2016
No sensible player in Tavares' shoes would risk signing a one year deal in his prime.

You missed the point.

July 1, sign 1 year deal with handshake for 8 year deal to follow. July 2, sign 8 year deal. What's the risk if no games are played and he's only signed for 24 hours under the 1 year contract before getting the real one signed?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The lottery goodness means that we don't have to invest a king's ransom in John Tavares. He's not leaving that sinkhole anyway, but even if he were, it's not a smart way to build this team going forward. Instead of trying to job the system, and covet every other team's stars, let's just stay the course - everything is going great. We don't need him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That Tavares contract idea is not legal.

We shouldnt be going after Tavares unless Giroux is traded (which I dont think will happen).

TheBlackFish

Jun 22, 2016
The lottery goodness means that we don't have to invest a king's ransom in John Tavares.
So paying John Tavares $1 million a year more than Andrew MacDonald is a kings ransom?

everything is going great. We don't need him.
One prospect with a 2nd line center ceiling doesn't solve the flyers scoring problems and make everything great. The future is good, not great. Good doesn't get you out of the 1st round. And the pens don't need both Crosby and Malkin, but they don't win any cups without both.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think players can sign until January if they are on one year deals.

Without looking it up I'm inclined to believe this as otherwise it sounds like an easy way to circumvent the term limit on the contracts. You'd essentially easily turn a 7-8 year deal into a year 8-9 deal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So paying John Tavares $1 million a year more than Andrew MacDonald is a kings ransom?

One prospect with a 2nd line center ceiling doesn't solve the flyers scoring problems and make everything great. The future is good, not great. Good doesn't get you out of the 1st round. And the pens don't need both Crosby and Malkin, but they don't win any cups without both.

Both Nico and Nolan have 1C potential. Just because they arent McDavid or Matthews doesnt make them Derek Stepan.

Your idea is both absurd and not legal.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Your contract idea won't work, for one thing - it just won't happen. One way or another, we would have to pay a king's ransom in order to have Tavares on this team. It would destroy any cap flexibility we had moving forward, and sooner or later would cost us some of our young players. As great as he is, his age profile presents the same problems that Duchene's does.

You calling Nico/Nolan 2C's doesn't make it so, and goes against what very nearly everyone else is saying. And the future is actually great, not good, especially when you consider the salary cap implications of what we are building. We are going about this exactly the right way, because what we are doing is sustainable. Don't lose patience now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Your contract idea won't work, for one thing - it just won't happen. One way or another, we would have to pay a king's ransom in order to have Tavares on this team. It would destroy any cap flexibility we had moving forward, and sooner or later would cost us some of our young players. As great as he is, his age profile presents the same problems that Duchene's does.

You calling Nico/Nolan 2C's doesn't make it so, and goes against what very nearly everyone else is saying. And the future is actually great, not good, especially when you consider the salary cap implications of what we are building. We are going about this exactly the right way, because what we are doing is sustainable. Don't lose patience now.

Its threads like these that remind me how lucky we are to have Hextall and his saintly patience.

Now if only we could put together an excellent coaching staff.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Even if it were legal, I would have no desire to sign a 28 year old Tavares for 9 years.

Am I wrong in thinking that he could not re-sign until Jan 1?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Even if it were legal, I would have no desire to sign a 28 year old Tavares for 9 years.

Am I wrong in thinking that he could not re-sign until Jan 1?

Yes you are correct.

A 1 year deal cannot be extended until Jan 1st. A multi-year deal can be signed any time during the final year of the contract.

Also, the AAV of the extension must be less than the teams available cap space on July 1st.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Getting Hischier/Patrick allows the Flyers to avoid albatross contracts like this.

Sorry man...pass.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Getting Hischier/Patrick allows the Flyers to avoid albatross contracts like this.

Sorry man...pass.

Until one day THEY become the albatross contract of which we are so afraid! It is a self-fulfilling prophecy! There's nothing we can do! :cry::cry::cry:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Until one day THEY become the albatross contract of which we are so afraid! It is a self-fulfilling prophecy! There's nothing we can do! :cry::cry::cry:

While true, we don't have to worry about that for 5-7 years with the new guy. Even Ghost won't command that.

Also Hextall should be offering an 8 year deal to Provorov as soon as he can.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
While true, we don't have to worry about that for 5-7 years with the new guy. Even Ghost won't command that.

Also Hextall should be offering an 8 year deal to Provorov as soon as he can.

I know I am just playing. I feel like there's not going to be any drama around here for the next couple months so I am trying to stoke the flames a bit! :laugh::laugh:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I like thinking outside the box, but his agent would have to be Sean Avery.

I wouldn't sign a deal even for 14 million for one year. I could get hurt and throw away that 60+ million contract waiting in the near future. He has enough leverage he doesn't need to take that risk.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Poor Rubtsov, so near the NHL, so far from Flyer fan hearts.
Just sayin', I don't think center is going to be an issue going forward!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The only rookie with a higher PPG than Rubstov in his QMJHL stint was...drumroll....Nico Hischier.

We dont need to invest in a huge contract for a veteran like JT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad