John Tavares has taken that next step.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Just because he is “our best goalie” doesn’t mean we have been getting great goal tending like lou’s goalie.
Campbell has given us great goaltending. Our goaltending issues have largely been a result of the goalie Lou got us, funny enough.
Just because He has changed the coach doesn’t mean we are getting top end cup worthy coaching.
What exactly suggests we aren't getting top-end coaching? He's done very well.
Lastly if the defence was already there why did you call them a completely new defensive core.
In the organization =/= being played/played in proper roles.

Reactions: stickty111

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
so it's a poor evaluation because you just repeatedly say it's a poor evaluation without saying why it's a poor evaluation , that makes a lot of sense , lol

outside of this forum very very few people believe he's having some great season like i keep reading on these boards but hey who gives a damn because the main point is to waive the pom poms because that'll be the reason the team will win the cup this year , lol
You said he’s Poor. I questioned it twice why. 44th in the league in points. I’ll keep you updated as he climbs. That’s on 18 minutes per game too. Almost everyone ahead has more minutes. Most are significantly more playing time. Pts 60 he ranks much higher likely
He’s got more points than Nylander. Is the hockey world stupid.

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Hopefully Gally can be to finally round out the line for Tavares and Willy.

Tavares/Nylander together at even strength this year:

CF%: 56.26
SF%: 56.13
SCF%: 61.00
HDCF%: 67.35
xGF%: 60.48
GF%: 73.08

Just an incredible season from this combination.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You said he’s Poor. I questioned it twice why. 44th in the league in points. I’ll keep you updated as he climbs. That’s on 18 minutes per game too. Almost everyone ahead has more minutes. Most are significantly more playing time. Pts 60 he ranks much higher likely
He’s got more points than Nylander. Is the hockey world stupid.
yes his production is poor compared to his 11m dollar salary and his 4 goals 5 on 5 is pitiful

Nylander is endlessly getting ripped so i don't understand why you're using him as a comparable

and you keep on updating where he ranks compared to the rest of the league then pm me when he cracks the top 10 which is where he should for his salary

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
yes his production is poor compared to his 11m dollar salary and his his 4 goals 5 on 5 is pitiful

and Nylander is endlessly getting ripped so i don't understand why you're using him as a comparable

and you keep on updating where he ranks compared to the rest of the league then pm me when he cracks the top 10 which is where he should for his salary
What a take. Top 10 or nothing. I just stopped listening

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What a take. Top 10 or nothing. I just stopped listening
what do you expect for his cap hit ?

we didn't give him 11m per to be tied in points with Carter Verhaeghe among a number of others while having a 1/3 less goals than CV , lol

but hey , you do you and keep lowering the bar for what's considered a good season for a player making 11m per because that'll really help us win a cup

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
what do you expect for his cap hit ?

we didn't give him 11m per to be tied in points with Carter Verhaeghe among a number of others while having a 1/3 less goals than CV , lol

but hey , you do you and keep lowering the bar for what's considered a good season for a player making 11m per because that'll really help us win a cup
He’ll be point per game and i will be completely content. Would like to see him start burying more for sure.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tonight’s game is a great benchmark for Tavares. Even though we lost, and he didn’t score it was more encouraging to see that line buzzing so much with Tavares-Nylander-Galchenyuk having chemistry than any random assist here and there. The way they cycled to start the second and to finish the second. All good.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Tonight’s game is a great benchmark for Tavares. Even though we lost, and he didn’t score it was more encouraging to see that line buzzing so much with Tavares-Nylander-Galchenyuk having chemistry than any random assist here and there. The way they cycled to start the second and to finish the second. All good.
I agree Gally has been a good fit on that line , he's smart and handles the puck well . The way him and Willie play allows JT to hang around the net down low where he's effective .

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Gally was a fit if you know the way he plays previously. Move willy with the other two Amigos and replace him with hyman on JT’s line

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Minus skating Tavares still does everything well. Even though his defensive game has been great, he’s had no puck luck and a low shooting percentage affecting his goal totals.

If a few more of those bounces went in, a lot of fans would have a much different opinion on his season

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
That's two games in a row they've played well, mind you, beating up on the Oilers with 29 & 97 off the ice should be the expectation for a 20 million dollar line.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Willy would be wasted there IMO, he needs the puck often to thrive.

He's great at gaining the zone with control and keeping the play alive once the cycle is going. Matthews and Marner can do their thing, they still need someone to hold the zone and make smart consistent decisions to balance out their higher risk stuff. Plus it would spread out the D since he's the only shooting threat from distance they've played with so far, if you focus them too much Nylander can burn you from the circles. I'd rather him be the secondary shooting option than Rielly anyway.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's great at gaining the zone with control and keeping the play alive once the cycle is going. Matthews and Marner can do their thing, they still need someone to hold the zone and make smart consistent decisions to balance out their higher risk stuff. Plus it would spread out the D since he's the only shooting threat from distance they've played with so far, if you focus them too much Nylander can burn you from the circles. I'd rather him be the secondary shooting option than Rielly anyway.
Sounds like youre talking PP and not ES

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Does the league keep goal post shot stats?
What is that now, three games in a row that Tavares hit the crossbar or post?
He’s been pretty dangerous lately in my mind, and very responsible all season.

I did see a stat they showed in one of the last two games that showed Matthews has hit the most posts in the league this year. He hit two more later in the game. Tavares has had more then his share too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sounds like youre talking PP and not ES
Gally/Tavares/Hyman is a solid trio. Very difficult to play against. Willy/Auston/Magic can score ES or PP. we have never seen it for a extended period of time. I would love to see it. Hyman shouldn’t be with Engvall and Kikheyev. It’s not a win win. He’s better top 6.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Gally/Tavares/Hyman is a solid trio. Very difficult to play against. Willy/Auston/Magic can score ES or PP. we have never seen it for a extended period of time. I would love to see it. Hyman shouldn’t be with Engvall and Kikheyev. It’s not a win win. He’s better top 6.
Agreed with most, but I wouldn't have Willy with Marner AND Matthews ES. Too limiting for the other lines on puck carrying and they won't be maximized IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad