OT: John Sterling to retire, called MSG hockey on radio early '70s

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
maybe I am one of the few,
when i was in HS, listened to Sterling call NY Raiders(WHA) games on WMCA, way left on the AM dial,

when Raiders would score, still recall him yelling "Raider goal, Raider goal, Raider goal"

Trotsnj

Aug 26, 2020
maybe I am one of the few,
when i was in HS, listened to Sterling call NY Raiders(WHA) games on WMCA, way left on the AM dial,

when Raiders would score, still recall him yelling "Raider goal, Raider goal, Raider goal"
And Fritz Peterson, who passed away last week, did color if I recall.

Reactions: egelband

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
For all of his amazing Yankee calls, the Rick Camp HR call in that insane Mets va Braves game in 1985 is what I will always remember him for.
Probably the most entertaining baseball game I've ever seen. I didn't want it to end.

Was Sterling working for the Braves? I watched all 19 innings of that game when it happened...Sterling wasn't on WOR.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Probably the most entertaining baseball game I've ever seen. I didn't want it to end.

Was Sterling working for the Braves? I watched all 19 innings of that game when it happened...Sterling wasn't on WOR.
Sterling did Braves prior to NYY

Wikipedia:”Sterling spent nine years in Atlanta hosting a sports call-in show on WSB radio and covering the Braves (1982–1987) and Hawks (1981–1989) for Turner Sports.[10]

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida

Truly the wildest game in MLB history. And that 85 Mets team is one of my favorites of all time.

He used to do the Braves and Hawks games for TBS in the mid 80s. I remember watching some games despite being in New Jersey. We used to get NY, Philly, and Atlanta games.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Truly the wildest game in MLB history. And that 85 Mets team is one of my favorites of all time.

He used to do the Braves and Hawks games for TBS in the mid 80s. I remember watching some games despite being in New Jersey. We used to get NY, Philly, and Atlanta games.
I stayed up for that entire game, through multiple rain delays. When it ended around 4am, the fans who hung around got to witness the fireworks scheduled for the 4th. Imagine living close to Fulton County Stadium & those waking you up out of a sound sleep! LOL! I was so fired up I couldn't fall asleep & had to fake it when my mom came out to shut the tv.

I actually went to fireworks night at Shea the night before with my mom & a bunch of my neighborhood pals. Even my sister tagged along. What a great time to be a 14 year old kid on summer break. Life was so simple....all I cared about was baseball cards & my BMX bicycle. Sigh.

The 1985 baseball season in NYC was the most entertaining that I've ever followed. Both teams could've easily won the Series, but it ended with such heartbreak. It was an incredible ride, however. The city was electric from July to the end of the season.

When I got cable in Queens in early '86, I was shocked that Braves games were part of the deal. I watched a ton of baseball that year. I don't think Sterling did TV for the Braves that season, however, but it was almost 40 years ago & it wouldn't surprise me if my recollection is not accurate.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad