John Scott punch on Tim Jackman (Suspended Four Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunting Bow*

Yes, and in 37 games he had 5 goals and 52 PIM. Just because he occasionally scored a few goals doesn't mean he wasn't still a goon. . None of his goals were critical to any of those series.

Probert was really a much better choice if you wanted to go with an enforcer who could actually play hockey while enforcing

All of this is irrelevant to this discussion and thread though. Every team has had enforcers and rough play in their history. It doesn't legitimize what Scott did. It wasn't a hockey play.

None of his goals were critical? He was on the original grind line. So now I know you weren't watching.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I said it's ironic seeing Ducks fans whining about cheap shots. And it is ironic as well as hypocritical.

So you're here to complain about Ducks fans? It still has nothing to do with John Scott.

Every fan will be upset if one of their players gets hurt from a cheap shot.

Franzen has had more than a few cheap shots in his career as a Red Wing as has Kronwall, so I'm guessing you didn't complain when Weber smashed Z's head into the glass?

Hunting Bow*

So you're here to complain about Ducks fans? It still has nothing to do with John Scott.

Every fan will be upset if one of their players gets hurt from a cheap shot.

Franzen has had more than a few cheap shots in his career as a Red Wing as has Kronwall, so I'm guessing you didn't complain when Weber smashed Z's head into the glass?

Point missed!

I call it poetic justice.

Do I think Scott's hit was BS? Yes. Do I think it couldn't have happened to a better team finally? 100000% yes.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Point missed!

Do I think Scott's hit was BS? Yes. Do I think it couldn't have happened to a better team finally? 100000% yes.

I don't think he's the one missing the point. You're the one being a hypocrite here. Would you feel the same if Scott did this against a Detroit player? According to your argument here, that's poetic justice, and you'd be a hypocrite to complain.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Point missed!

I'm not missing the point, you tried to changed your point to be something about hypocrisy, when actually you're proving my earlier point.

You hate the Ducks and are fine that one of their players got cheapshotted. That's what's at the heart of this, nothing more.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
None of his goals were critical? He was on the original grind line. So now I know you weren't watching.

To any of the series? Nope. He had no game winners in the rout of the Flyers, the 2 goals against Phoenix in the very first game of the playoffs weren't critical to that series, and Washington wasn't winning that Cup under any circumstances either. Kocur wasn't driving the bus on that line as far as scoring McCarty was, and he was still only 9th in team scoring. Kocur was 13th in team playoff scoring in '98. It was that line's physical play that was their strength, which was kinda my point. Let's let the Redwings tell us about why he was on the ice, shall we?

As a result, tough guys remain not only legal but important enough to a team that the Red Wings’ Demers candidly admits, “I know we wouldn’t trade Joey Kocur for a thirty-goal scorer even though Joey has never scored thirty goals.â€

Why?

“Intimidation,†Demers says, shrugging his shoulders. “It works.â€

http://grantland.com/features/micha...johnette-howard-classic-making-goon-national/

Hunting Bow*

I'm not missing the point, you tried to changed your point to be something about hypocrisy, when actually you're proving my earlier point.

You hate the Ducks and are fine that one of their players got cheapshotted. That's what's at the heart of this, nothing more.

Take 10 minutes out of life and YouTube Ducks cheap shots. That's what I hate. They have a culture of cheap stuff. See Corey Perry!

Hunting Bow*

To any of the series? Nope. He had no game winners in the rout of the Flyers, the 2 goals against Phoenix in the very first game of the playoffs weren't critical to that series, and Washington wasn't winning that Cup under any circumstances either. Kocur wasn't driving the bus on that line as far as scoring McCarty was, and he was still only 9th in team scoring. Kocur was 13th in team playoff scoring in '98. It was that line's physical play that was their strength, which was kinda my point. Let's let the Redwings tell us about why he was on the ice, shall we?

http://grantland.com/features/micha...johnette-howard-classic-making-goon-national/

Did YOU watch the 1997 series vs the Flyers?

Hunting Bow*

At that time McCarty wasn't on the grind line.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Take 10 minutes out of life and YouTube Ducks cheap shots. That's what I hate. They have a culture of cheap stuff. See Corey Perry!

A culture? Do you see what you're saying here? Are you listening to yourself? This is entirely about your anti-Ducks agenda.

Corey Perry is a competitor. He isn't some cheap shot artist. Has he thrown cheap shots? You bet, and so have many, many, many other players.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Take 10 minutes out of life and YouTube *insert any NHL team here* cheap shots. That's what I hate. They have a culture of cheap stuff. See *insert rat/agitator/enforcer/PIM-leader from chosen NHL team here*!

Hunting Bow*

A culture? Do you see what you're saying here? Are you listening to yourself? This is entirely about your anti-Ducks agenda.

Corey Perry is a competitor. He isn't some cheap shot artist. Has he thrown cheap shots? You bet, and so have many, many, many other players.

Yes sir. Ducks being Ducks, that's Ducks hockey, hard nosed. That was the excuse for years. Heard it, witnessed it. BTW they're 4th in PIMS right now.

But I guess we will all have to agree to disagree.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yes sir. Ducks being Ducks. Heard it, witnessed it. BTW they're 4th in PIMS right now.

Which proves what? Do you think a tripping or hooking penalty is a cheap shot? Guess what? It counts the same as a cross checking penalty. All you're proving here is that you can't put together an objective argument involving the Ducks. You're so keen on labeling them as a dirty team that nothing else matters to you, so fine. That's what you think. It doesn't make Anaheim fans hypocrites, though it does make you one if you'd complain when a player took a cheap shot against your team. Let's move on.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Did YOU watch the 1997 series vs the Flyers?

Yup. As I'm not a Detroit fan I haven't internalized every detail from 17-1/2 years ago, so my apologies for getting the wrong physical player on the wrong line. He had ONE goal in 19 games. Clearly he was the key to the Cup.

The argument was that even Detroit used thugs. I have a quote from Detroit management admitting that to be the case. Just because he scored a few goals once in his career doesn't disprove that he wasn't a thug. Have a nice day if you want to continue heading further off topic. :thumbu:

Hunting Bow*

Yup. As I'm not a Detroit fan I haven't internalized every detail from 17-1/2 years ago, so my apologies for getting the wrong physical player on the wrong line. He had ONE goal in 19 games. Clearly he was the key to the Cup.

The argument was that even Detroit used thugs. I have a quote from Detroit management admitting that to be the case. Just because he scored a few goals once in his career doesn't disprove that he wasn't a thug. Have a nice day if you want to continue heading further off topic. :thumbu:

Scotty Bowman disagrees with you. HE brought Kocur back to the Wings and it wasn't to be an enforcer. Kocur, Maltby and Draper were a HUGE part of winning in 1997.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So what we have here is a redwings fan crying about the ducks being mean?

Ah say no more, used to this.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Scotty Bowman disagrees with you. HE brought Kocur back to the Wings and it wasn't to be an enforcer. Kocur, Maltby and Draper were a HUGE part of winning in 1997.

And when, last December, Chicago's Bob Probert, another ex-Wings goon, took a run at goalie Chris Osgood, Detroit was forced to retaliate with valuable forwards like Brendan Shanahan and Darren McCarty.

Having Shanahan and McCarty in the penalty box was not good for the Wings, Detroit coach Scotty Bowman said. He had seen enough.

On Dec. 23 Bowman telephoned Kocur, the onetime Detroit enforcer who had not been re-signed by Vancouver after the '96 season. Five days later, Kocur was signed. Eleven days later, he was on this ice. Eleven days and 10 seconds later, he had flattened his first opponent, Dallas' Todd Harvey.

``My role hasn't changed,'' said Kocur, who set several Wings penalty-minute marks when he and Probert - the Bruise Brothers - teamed up here from 1985 to 1991. ``I know they got me to provide physical play. The bottom line is winning, and you do what you have to do to win.''

Clearly.

http://articles.philly.com/1997-05-...-vladimir-konstantinov-maltby-and-kris-draper

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Are we still on this?

Detroit fans now whining in this thread?

Scott is suspended for at the very least, being stupid.

I always thought Detroit was a great team, that pushed the edge
all the time.

The best statement I've seen in this thread was the response that
was (insert any team) in a statement. Detroit has idiots, Ducks too, Sharks,
whatever. Moron bashed a guy while holding the butt end of the stick, and got suspended. go ahead and defend him, but make sure you whine when someone
does something stupid to one of your players. Hockey, the toughest sport, with the *****iest fans

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I think Kocur disagrees with your suggestion that Bowman disagrees. Where is the evidence he was brought in to play a different role? All we have to go on right now is your word, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad