Waived: John Mitchell [cleared]

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm out of the loop for the day and this happens?! What the hell is going on right now?

At least he cleared.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bednar commented on the Mitchell move (vaguely). Says there are no plans to send him anywhere yet, but hinted that the move was designed to give him a little kick in the ass as far as play goes.

Given that Mitchell is hardly called upon to carry the team though, I have to wonder if the waive was designed to send a message to the rest of the team, too (even though Bednar didn't say that). Mitchell may not be the engine of the team, but he's a long-tenured player who deserves better. I'm guessing they were willing to take a chance on losing him to send an indirect message to the core.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I will accept the explanation, but let's not be so naive as to think Bednar would be saying the same thing re: a kick in the butt if he was actually claimed. We aren't getting the truth.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Does anybody have exactly what Bednar said? In what way did he hint that it was to give them a kick in the butt?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wasn't expecting a clear answer to why they did it but I'm not buying that explanation.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Does anybody have exactly what Bednar said? In what way did he hint that it was to give them a kick in the butt?

The postgame presser will likely be posted tomorrow, but the general idea was that Mitchell could definitely play better and maybe the move would serve as a little motivation for him to do that. He didn't say anything about the rest of the team: that part was my guess.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can see it as a kick in the pants for the entire team.

You aren't going to waive anyone worth waiving, nor are you going to waive Iginla out of respect. It was basically either Mitchell or Comeau, and since Mitchell is longer tenured it would probably have more of an effect.

I doubt they were actually planning for him to go to San Antonio provided he cleared. I don't exactly think Mitchell was the player who needed the wake up call, but it can be used as a wake up call for other players *looks at Iginla, Soderberg, and Beauchemin*

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Bednar commented on the Mitchell move (vaguely). Says there are no plans to send him anywhere yet, but hinted that the move was designed to give him a little kick in the ass as far as play goes.

Given that Mitchell is hardly called upon to carry the team though, I have to wonder if the waive was designed to send a message to the rest of the team, too (even though Bednar didn't say that). Mitchell may not be the engine of the team, but he's a long-tenured player who deserves better. I'm guessing they were willing to take a chance on losing him to send an indirect message to the core.
Also Mitchell's probably the best player we have that would clear (now we know that)...and he knows he can be sent to the minors any day

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

As he should. I don't think he deserved to be waived, and I think the team is better with him on it, but what kind of level of play does he think he's brought the last couple years to think being placed on waivers is "brutal?"

He's perfectly fine as a 4th line center, but I constantly get the impression that John Mitchell has an entirely different view of himself as a hockey player than the one he actually is. And that he doesn't have to bust his butt to help the team. I'm guessing Bednar got the same impression.

This team needs more guys that play with passion and a hate to lose. Too many vets give off the sense they're just approaching it like a day job. Mitchell, Comeau, and Iggy are all guys that have this issue. They're supposed to be leading as vets, and too often they set a poor example with their work ethic.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Flexibility can be anything from money to roster space, but you don't waive a guy unforced unless you are somewhat willing/wanting him to be claimed.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like Gelinas get a similar treatment in the next couple weeks.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Flexibility can be anything from money to roster space, but you don't waive a guy unforced unless you are somewhat willing/wanting him to be claimed.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a guy like Gelinas get a similar treatment in the next couple weeks.

If they ever Waive Gelinas , i dont think we'll get that many replies in his thread. I for one wont care to see him claimed by another team , in fact i hope he will .

It wasnt the same for J.Malkin, that move came out of nowhere from the Avs and we are talking about somewhat of a fan favorite .

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If they ever Waive Gelinas , i dont think we'll get that many replies in his thread. I for one wont care to see him claimed by another team , in fact i hope he will .

It wasn't the same for J.Malkin, that move came out of nowhere from the Avs and we are talking about somewhat of a fan favorite .

Gelinas was guilty of some egregious errors and poor overall play prior to being scratched the last couple of games. But I don't think the Avs are in a position to place him on waivers on the off chance that he would be claimed.

The Avs simply do not have enough NHL defenseman at the moment. As bad as Gelinas looked at times in the lineup, I would argue that Tyutin is actually worse. Tyutin is far from an NHL caliber defenseman at the moment. Against Chicago (on the Marian Hossa goal) and yesterday against Minnesota, he was an abject disaster.

On the Hossa goal, he had the angle and it should not have resulted in a partial breakaway. Yesterday, he took two very bad penalties in the first half of the game, had at least one unpressured, awful icing play, and he inexplicably stepped up in the neutral zone on a play that almost led to an odd man rush for the Wild.

At this point, Tyutin lacks NHL caliber skating, NHL caliber puck skills, and he is not compensating by making competent decisions on the ice. If he continues to be in the lineup for the Avs, he likely will make several plays every game (bad penalties, bad play with the puck, poor decision making and positional play) that could result in the Avs losing.

I can understand if the Avs have soured on Gelinas, but they also must realize that they can't have Tyutin in the lineup if he plays like he did the last couple of games. I wonder if they would consider bringing up someone like Siemens shortly as the sixth defenseman. I am not sure what the downside would be considering what we have seen from Gelinas and Tyutin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad