Injury Report: John-Michael Liles - Lower Body (Sprain likely)

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
At least Kostka plays with heart. Hopefully being benched for a while and allowing him to watch the game made him learn a little.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
At least Kostka plays with heart. Hopefully being benched for a while and allowing him to watch the game made him learn a little.

the problem with him isn't learning, it is the skill aspect that he lacks heavily in.

glad it wasn't another karlsson injury, looked like it during the game.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Komi-komi-komi-komi

If he gets recalled don't we have to pick up half the salary? If that's the case we don't recall him because he would get claimed and we would be on the hook for half next year too. Komi is going to get brought up for the playoffs and get bought out in the summer.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
If he gets recalled don't we have to pick up half the salary? If that's the case we don't recall him because he would get claimed and we would be on the hook for half next year too. Komi is going to get brought up for the playoffs and get bought out in the summer.
No, recall waivers don't exist anymore in the new CBA.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I would honestly rather see Komi than Holzer.

Agreed. Ultimately, if we want to have any chance of Komi receiving interest from another team, he has to be showcased. People can argue, but he played well in his time early this season, and lost his job because of an injury to his eye.

Do we really want another game of Holzer staring at the puck slide through the mouth of the crease without moving a muscle?

We're still eatting the cap hit, may as well have him on the ice for a game.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There are 3 real options for a call-up depending on how long Liles is out for.

1. Korbinian Holzer - He's been here before and although he's had his struggles, he can play on a 3rd pairing and bring a bit of an edge and penalty killing aspect to the game.

2. Simon Gysbers - Not the first choice on my list, but here's my reasoning on why the Leafs could justify bringing him up: A. repay for time in the system B. big guy that has been fairly reliable C. not high expectations and can play on the third pairing

3. Kevin Marshall - Now here's the interesting case. A new guy to the organization that has played above expected (4 points in 5 games with Marlies) and gives you the edge that you need on a third pairing. He has the ability to kill penalties and fight. Is that something that Carlyle likes? You bet. Is that something that you can rely on for up to 10 days? Undetermined.

Really, I don't think that these 3 choices from the organization are the right decision. To me, they don't give you anything of substance for lets say a week that Liles is out (at best). I think you have to make a trade before the game on tuesday.

Here's your answer: Ryan O'Byrne.

Colorado is not going to be close to a playoff spot. O'Byrne is a UFA at years end and they have a lot of money tied up with the back end already. I think you can get him fairly cheap. And by cheap I mean a 2nd or 3rd round pick because everyone is so close at the deadline and you'll have to overpay. But O'Byrne gives you that edge with quality NHL service. He's got a powerful right handed shot and his salary is cheap enough that if you want to resign him at the end of the year, you have that chance.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Liles out with an ankle sprain

Sportsnet 590 The FAN's David Alter reports that Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman John-Michael Liles suffered an ankle sprain last night against the Boston Bruins and will not make the trip to Boston on Monday.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Sigh. Guess this means the return of Kostka. At least Kostka is defensively responsible? He was never really a liability, it's only when he was relied on for puck movement or offense did he hinder the team (like the 2nd PP Unit).

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Looked like a badly sprained ankle. Hopefully it's not too bad, don't really have much depth at D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad