The Sun: John-Michael Liles in limbo with Maple Leafs?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/22/liles-in-limbo-with-maple-leafs

1297380568749_ORIGINAL.jpg

While it may be a stretch to say defenceman John-Michael Liles is on borrowed time with the Maple Leafs, it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

We’re not suggesting Liles, who has an annual salary cap hit of $3.875-million US through the 2015-16 season, has played his last game as a Leaf. But he has been a healthy scratch for three consecutive games and could be out again on Saturday night in Ottawa against the Senators.

Jake Gardiner won’t be with the Toronto Marlies forever, and Morgan Rielly, another slick young defenceman, will be given every chance to make the Leafs out of training camp next September.

Leafs coach Randy Carlyle prefers big, physical defencemen. Liles is neither. Gardiner and Rielly aren’t physical, but they’re faster and have greater offensive upside. In the long run, Carl Gunnarsson also might not be safe.

“He has to continue to work hard,†Carlyle said of Liles. “I told those guys who are not getting their number called, their games are their practices and they better be prepared to come and work and give us what you have in practice, because when the time comes for you to be called upon, the opportunity is a window. Somebody is going to have to falter.â€

Why did Liles come out of the lineup?

“We just felt other people were playing better than he was and I told him so,†Carlyle said. “Not that he was playing drastically poor, but we had other people we had rated ahead of im.â€

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Fraser gets a spot over Liles. this tell you everything you need to know about Carlyle and what type of players he likes. I prefer toughness myself as well

ForSpareParts*

I disliked BB signing. He was average at best. Now he seems not over his concussion and playing poorly.

It's up to JML now.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I think Gunnar gets shut down for the season for hip surgery. He's even quoted saying he's in game shape, but not 100%.
Gardiner comes back up, and gets inserted into the lineup. Then basically its 7 Dmen.

Phaneuf - Holzer
Gardiner - Liles/Kostka
Fraser - Franson

Kostka/Liles

Komisarek probably never comes back into this lineup unless an injury occurs, or a couple defensemen have a disastrous few games.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I think Gunnar gets shut down for the season for hip surgery. He's even quoted saying he's in game shape, but not 100%.
Gardiner comes back up, and gets inserted into the lineup. Then basically its 7 Dmen.

Phaneuf - Holzer
Gardiner - Liles/Kostka
Fraser - Franson

Kostka/Liles

Komisarek probably never comes back into this lineup unless an injury occurs, or a couple defensemen have a disastrous few games.

Gunny looked pretty average out there since coming back. He probably does need to get himself into a proper shape, surgery or whatnot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he'll be moved very soon.

When is the deadline this year?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yet we have Holzer, Carlyle is a bit crazy sometimes see: did not believe Lupul could play his off wing. Holzer, the guy you go to if you want the opposing teams player dumped on your tender. It was the first time either! Sorry rather have Liles or Komi then big Holzer.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Well, putting together a system is not an overnight process. Players are still adjusting, it might be another half a season before the whole team is totally on the same page, some players will be in or out, depending on the needs of the team.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
This is already a dated story about the new normal in Leaf-land. The best players play! Liles has to suck it up and be prepared when his number is called...just like everyone else on the team.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Gunnar should be rested and get surgery of he requires it. I mean, he is not very physical to begin with and even do he still is able to hit his movement is hindered by his bad hip.

Liles should be kept for this season unless a great deal can be made (doubt it) seeing as we might need him if we reach the playoffs. In the summer he can be traded.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I personally didn't think he played too poorly, outside of a few games where the entire team was flat. He should be in over an injured Gunnarsson.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think the deadline and free agency, will be very interesting this year, there are a lot of teams, that will have to get rid of some big contracts, to get down to the cap for next year.

There could be some Bargains to be had.

ForSpareParts*

Yet we have Holzer, Carlyle is a bit crazy sometimes see: did not believe Lupul could play his off wing. Holzer, the guy you go to if you want the opposing teams player dumped on your tender. It was the first time either! Sorry rather have Liles or Komi then big Holzer.

Are you kidding me?

Let's see how Lupul does on his off wing when he has to play on the second line.

It's pretty clear that Kessel made Lupul better.

I love how hindsight makes people think they are wiser than an experienced/cup winning NHL coach.

Crazy?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are you kidding me?

Let's see how Lupul does on his off wing when he has to play on the second line.

It's pretty clear that Kessel made Lupul better.

I love how hindsight makes people think they are wiser than an experienced/cup winning NHL coach.

Crazy?

Oh yeah, Kessel the guy that only had a fantastic year when he played with Lupul and his production went down when Lups was injured. Yep, kk man

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Definitely one of the ugliest contracts on the team.

Stiff competition with Komisarek and Grabovski and their contracts.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'm still not really clear on why he was re-signed in the first place. On the other hand, he doesn't have to do a whole lot to get himself back in front of an injured Gunnarsson or a healthy Kostka who isn't actually putting up points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad