John Klingberg vs John Carlson

Who's better?

• Total voters

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
Battle of the John's

Two great RHD with similar statistics since Klingberg's entry in the show.

Klingberg
225 pts in 314 games (0.7165 pt/game)

Carlson (since 2014-2015)
213 pts in 302 games (0.7053 pt/game)

Who's better?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
To me Carlson is a top 20 dman and Klingberg is top 10. Two very good players but I prefer Klingberg.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Neither are good enough defensively to be "way better"
Carlson has always been borderline elite in his defensive zone and he’s been even better over the past calendar year or so. Elite positioning, great poke check, physical, blocks shots, great at getting it out of the zone/outlet passes.

But uh, corsi or something, bro

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Carlson has always been borderline elite in his defensive zone and he’s been even better over the past calendar year or so. Elite positioning, great poke check, physical, blocks shots, great at getting it out of the zone/outlet passes.

This is the first I'm hearing that he was good defensively last regular season. Even from Caps fans

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is he? My reputation based, small sample size viewings don't give me much faith in his defensive ability. Possibly influenced by the Dallas offense system of the past with not much goaltending.
His defensive impacts are pretty meh, but I struggle to think of a minute eating defenseman with worse impact than Carlson. Except maybe Neal Stionk.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Klingberg's play in his own zone is pretty awful. He may have an offensive edge, but Carlson is the better player overall by a fair margin.
Man this narrative is ridiculous. Klingberg isnt bad defensively... being a point producing monster on the backend does not make you bad defensively.

Reactions: Nemeth and Grabner

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

You think I base my opinion on Corsi?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Man this narrative is ridiculous. Klingberg isnt bad defensively... being a point producing monster on the backend does not make you bad defensively.
My opinion isn't based on Klingberg's strong offensive stats, it's based in my personal observation of his defensive play, which has been poor.

I don't watch a ton of Stars games though, so it is possible I have only seen his bad games.

Reactions: ehhedler

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
It's not that Klingberg is that bad defensively, he's just more easily knocked off the puck than other defenseman and often tries to be too fancy, leading to turnovers. I can't really speak for Carlson since I don't watch the Caps much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad