Confirmed with Link: John Gruden named Marlies Head Coach

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
IMO, once Keefe is finally axed they will bring in a big name coach.
When does the axing happen do you figure? All it took is for one 20 game stretch of .500 hockey for Babs to be gone. Safe to say it's prob going to be similar for Keefe. What I hope for is that Keefe isnt being kept for a Treliving scapegoat

Reactions: ULF_55

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When does the axing happen do you figure? All it took is for one 20 game stretch of .500 hockey for Babs to be gone. Safe to say it's prob going to be similar for Keefe. What I hope for is that Keefe isnt being kept for a Treliving scapegoat
I expect him to be fired if he doesn’t have the team playing the way the GM wants. I dont expect any prolonged bad stretches even with Keefe.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I think this is a great hire, always helpful to have an Insider on your biggest Division rival.

Reactions: The Iceman

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

TS2023707JB022.TS_-scaled-e1688775227202.jpg

John Gruden has studied under two coaches who encompass the third-most wins in NHL history and the reigning Jack Adams Award holder.

Not to mention his own time as an NHLer, as a junior coach in the OHL and the U.S. National Team Development Program. So, yeah, he brings something to the table for the Marlies when he goes behind Toronto’s farm team bench in September.

“I picked up so much from both (Trotz and Montgomery),” Gruden said Friday at Leafs development camp where he was formally introduced to the media.

“Professionalism, the type of person Barry is, there’s no secret why he’ll be a Hall of Famer, no secret why he’s still in the NHL as a general manager (in Nashville). And Jim with his youth, energy and intelligence about how the game should be played (a league record 65 wins in Boston with Gruden on staff). That was an incredible year, a disappointment at the end, (first-round defeat), but it’s tough to win at that level.”

Minnesota native Gruden is still setting up his office at the Coca-Cola Coliseum, an 8,000-seat rink that’s smaller and older than TD Garden. He’s also not far down the QEW from Hamilton where he won an OHL title with the Bulldogs in 2018. Hanging around the Ford Centre with the 42 Leafs prospects this week has re-ignited his grass roots instructional gene. Once he picks his assistants in the coming days, he’ll be challenged to have the Marlies NHL-ready for a Leafs team that has dipped into its system often in the cap era.

“Every kid is a little different,” Gruden said. “Some need a little work at something on or off ice and our job is to identify that and to get better at it. I think that’s a strength of mine."

“At the end of the day it’s a partnership.”

Gruden says he looks forward to huddling with Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe so he can closely emulate the parent club’s systems.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
There is no possible way that he can prepare FEWER players to help the Leafs than the last group. So the floor is set in stone. Onward and upward McDuff.
We don't have any goddamn draft picks.

Some of it might not be his fault.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

My feeling is you might see star coaches like Mike Sullivan, Jon Cooper and other guys on declining teams hit the skids and become available over the next calendar year.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I like the idea of the Marlies having a teacher that helps develop the kids and make sure they fit into the big club if they get called up

Reactions: Burnie97

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Probably. But I wouldn't expect that to happen for a while. Both Shanny and Tre seem to be Keefe fans.

Tre didn't just given him an extension because he expects to fire him this year
Sorry I was thinking he was simply not fired yet. What did he get?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sorry I was thinking he was simply not fired yet. What did he get?

Media reports are actually mixed. I had earlier thought the deal was done, but most seem to suggest that he's in extension "talks". Nothing officially has been announced yet

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I would agree except, the team as currently constructed is probably winning the division, especially when you look at what Tampa has lost over the last 2 years, and what Boston lost this year so far.

And if I'm right and they do win the division Keefe is probably not going anywhere

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

TS2023707JB022.TS_-scaled-e1688775227202.jpg

John Gruden has studied under two coaches who encompass the third-most wins in NHL history and the reigning Jack Adams Award holder.

Not to mention his own time as an NHLer, as a junior coach in the OHL and the U.S. National Team Development Program. So, yeah, he brings something to the table for the Marlies when he goes behind Toronto’s farm team bench in September.

“I picked up so much from both (Trotz and Montgomery),” Gruden said Friday at Leafs development camp where he was formally introduced to the media.

“Professionalism, the type of person Barry is, there’s no secret why he’ll be a Hall of Famer, no secret why he’s still in the NHL as a general manager (in Nashville). And Jim with his youth, energy and intelligence about how the game should be played (a league record 65 wins in Boston with Gruden on staff). That was an incredible year, a disappointment at the end, (first-round defeat), but it’s tough to win at that level.”

Minnesota native Gruden is still setting up his office at the Coca-Cola Coliseum, an 8,000-seat rink that’s smaller and older than TD Garden. He’s also not far down the QEW from Hamilton where he won an OHL title with the Bulldogs in 2018. Hanging around the Ford Centre with the 42 Leafs prospects this week has re-ignited his grass roots instructional gene. Once he picks his assistants in the coming days, he’ll be challenged to have the Marlies NHL-ready for a Leafs team that has dipped into its system often in the cap era.

“Every kid is a little different,” Gruden said. “Some need a little work at something on or off ice and our job is to identify that and to get better at it. I think that’s a strength of mine."

“At the end of the day it’s a partnership.”

Gruden says he looks forward to huddling with Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe so he can closely emulate the parent club’s systems.
He looks like Peter Horacek.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad