Celebrity Death: John Glenn, 95

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
RIP to a true legend. His importance goes way beyond most of the "celebrities" mourned in this subforum.

It almost seems like an insult to call someone like Glenn a celebrity with how people become celebrities today. John Glenn risked his life for the betterment of mankind while the most some of these "celebrities" today risk is a STD.
Anyway, while it's sad to hear of the death of legends like Glenn or earlier Arnie, I do enjoy hearing the old stories and seeing the old footage.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nqueror-of-disability/?utm_term=.ee6c6528c6f3

But they were different. John was athletic and outgoing while Annie barely spoke, not because she didn’t have anything to say, but because when she did, people often assumed she was either deaf or mentally deficient.

For most of her life, Annie was afflicted with an 85 percent stutter, meaning she would become “hung up on 85 percent of the words she tried to speak, which was a severe handicap,” as John put it.

Those years must have been torture for Annie.

Some of the inconveniences might seem small. John recalled them:

For Annie, stuttering meant not being able to take a taxi because she would have to write out the address and give it to the driver because she couldn’t get the words out. It would be too embarrassing to try to talk about where she wanted to go. Going to the store is a tremendously difficult and frustrating experience when you can’t find what you want and can’t ask the clerk because you are too embarrassed of your stutter.

As John Glenn once wrote of her: “It takes guts to operate with a disability. I don’t know if I would have had the courage to do all the things that Annie did so well.”

“We tend to think of heroes as being those who are well known,” he wrote, “but America is made up of a whole nation of heroes who face problems that are very difficult, and their courage remains largely unsung. Millions of individuals are heroes in their own right.”

“In my book, Annie is one of those heroes.”

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3