Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Carlson deserves whatever he gets so long as its 8m or under. I think he may take a slight discount especially after this playoff run. Slight being ~500k.

Just a hypothetical question--do you all think Erik Karlsson would have changed anything for us at this point? I know the question kind of sucks because so far we're 2/2 in our playoff series without even facing an elimination game. I've just been thinking what would be different for us had we traded for him, or even replaced JC with him.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Carlson deserves whatever he gets so long as its 8m or under. I think he may take a slight discount especially after this playoff run. Slight being ~500k.

Just a hypothetical question--do you all think Erik Karlsson would have changed anything for us at this point? I know the question kind of sucks because so far we're 2/2 in our playoff series without even facing an elimination game. I've just been thinking what would be different for us had we traded for him, or even replaced JC with him.

The thing is we wouldn't have given up Carlson (unless we were trading Carlson for Karlsson, but I doubt they'd do that as it'd defeat the point) so you need to be asking what we'd do with both of them and not one. He'd probably have replaced Djoos if anyone.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
The thing is we wouldn't have given up Carlson (unless we were trading Carlson for Karlsson, but I doubt they'd do that as it'd defeat the point) so you need to be asking what we'd do with both of them and not one. He'd probably have replaced Djoos if anyone.
The rumor on deadline day was that they were looking to trade Carlson to a third team and then get Karlsson from Ottawa.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

This year's Karlsson, probably no. He hasn't been himself physically and mentally. His recovery from his ankle surgery is taking a long time, and the loss of his son deeply affected him, as well as all the drama surrounding him in Ottawa.

EK is more than welcome in Washington next year. I would have no hesitation whatsoever to upgrade JC with EK next year.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This year's Karlsson, probably no. He hasn't been himself physically and mentally. His recovery from his ankle surgery is taking a long time, and the loss of his son deeply affected him, as well as all the drama surrounding him in Ottawa.

EK is more than welcome in Washington next year. I would have no hesitation whatsoever to upgrade JC with EK next year.
Sure it is an upgrade but is it that big of an upgrade. Karlsson is great offensively, good puck mover, good skater and great vision. He is not great defensively and he is soft. He can get intimidated in physical games.
Carlson is better defensively and better on the pk and has an excellent shot from the point. He also fits in very well on our pp. With Karlsson we might have to change the pp. Carlson isn't overly physical but he is bigger and stronger and doesn't get over powered.
Is Karlsson worth the extra 3 mill per season he would get? Could we even fit him under the cap.
Even though they are both offensive defencemen, their games are different. Its hard to compare them.
I have no problem with either of those players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Karlsson is a grass is greener thing. The Caps need to keep Carlson. He is part of a tight group of players. He fits in. He plays in all situations. He is not a big star on a team that doesn't need anymore big star players. There are things the Caps need a lot more than an expensive swap of JC to EK. Its unnecessary

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm all for keeping Carlson, but insinuating that Carlson is a better player than Karlsson is absolutely ridiculous. Erik Karlsson is a once-in-a-lifetime player. People who think he's all-offense and no-defense clearly haven't watched him in several years.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
That's how you end with the 2nd worst team in the nhl

Karlsson is brutally overrated

Huh? Seriously? There's just one thing I got to say to that. Switch JC and EK. Put Carlson on the Senators and let me know if they make the conference finals (let alone the playoffs).

EK is a generational talent. Caps would win the presidents trophy for the forseeable future and multiple cups with him instead of Carlson.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Huh? Seriously? There's just one thing I got to say to that. Switch JC and EK. Put Carlson on the Senators and let me know if they make the conference finals (let alone the playoffs).

EK is a generational talent. Caps would win the presidents trophy for the forseeable future and multiple cups with him instead of Carlson.

Carlson has been much better than EK this season. People are hopping on EK's nuts because of hf bandwagon mentality instead of watching him play.

I can tell you where the Caps are right now with Karlsson instead of JC, golfing

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Carlson has been much better than EK this season. People are hopping on EK's nuts because of hf bandwagon mentality instead of watching him play.

I can tell you where the Caps are right now with Karlsson instead of JC, golfing

ROFL... I'll just leave this to someone else.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Slightly over the top.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

That settles it then Beagle and kilhorn for instance must be better then Tavares since the latter has been golfing for a while and the formers are still playing.
Erik as one poster said is a generational dman who is on an awful team . John is a very good dman who just had a career year.and btw EK fits
In with any team just like any other true star player

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jackets fan here I keep hearing how the Caps are on the verge of losing Carlson to UFA. I was looking at capfriendly and don't see re-signing him as a big deal, Caps have cap to do it imo. Do you guys think he'll be re-signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad