Confirmed with Link: Johansson (50% retention) to Capitals (Sprong + 2022 4th RD + 2023 6th RD)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Just reading the Caps fans reactions a moment ago and they are pretty pissed and feel like they lost this trade before the picks are even announced. The only "Caps won" are from people who are auto-naysayers. Sprong nearly had .5ppg last season with only 11min of ATOI, so he definitely is a good pick up.

Reactions: kihei

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Still looking to see exact details on picks here but we are supposedly retaining 50% on Johansson. That would be our 3rd and final retention, right?

That would be 3. The last pending UFA with the big club is Sheahan, so he wouldn't need to be retained on, and I'm positive we wouldn't retain in another scenario. It's going to be an interesting day even though there's not a lot left for the Kraken to deal unless they go big or RFA.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That would be 3. The last pending UFA with the big club is Sheahan, so he wouldn't need to be retained on, and I'm positive we wouldn't retain in another scenario. It's going to be an interesting day even though there's not a lot left for the Kraken to deal unless they go big or RFA.
Yeah. I am definitely expecting us to take on some more 'players'. The good ones probably be we are sending some of our picks out for. Bad ones maybe the ones we are getting assets for. I guess we will find out .. :)

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
Still looking to see exact details on picks here but we are supposedly retaining 50% on Johansson. That would be our 3rd and final retention, right?
This probably confirms that Donskoi isn't getting traded. I don't see a team trading for him and paying his full salary right now. He hasn't been the best this season either.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Man, Washington fans are really ticked off at the thought of Johansson returning. Lol

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I am holding out hope that joining the Kraken will be a good thing for Sprong. Kind of a make or break for him on a team just getting going. Really a no lose situation for the Kraken and well worth the acquisition.

Reactions: wraparound

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
meh, all these low picks mean next to nothing. I think some of you fans new to hockey think this is like football and picks have meaning. The odds of 4th round picks making the NHL long term are next to nil.
Anything below the 3rd round is a total gamble.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
meh, all these low picks mean next to nothing. I think some of you fans new to hockey think this is like football and picks have meaning. The odds of 4th round picks making the NHL long term are next to nil.
The idea is to not depend on all the picks panning out but using them as capital to land roster players or prospects more advanced in their development stage. The draft generally is a gamble any way. Its just that the chances of a 1st round pick panning out are higher than the later rounds. But it is still a gamble with a higher success rate.

Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Also, the thing with extra pics for a new expansion team is that it creates much needed competition with-in the farm.

Building up that system quickly and having more prospects increases the chances of some of them breaking out and hitting the league.

While I agree that normally, moving a lot of serviceable players out for long shot picks is risky business at best, for a team with no farm like Seattle I think it is actually a pretty good strategy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Man, Washington fans are really ticked off at the thought of Johansson returning. Lol
Yeah, this is a strange trade from the Caps perspective and one that I didn't think would happen.

MoJo has a reputation for being soft on the puck, though I have noticed that he's more willing to take a hit to make a play then back when he was younger. Plus the expiring contract is a motivator.

In the end it seems like a sideways move, not sure why they'd give up draft picks for that but good for Francis....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad