Johanson vs Shwartz

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Ok, you're the GM and ownership is forcing you to acquire one of these players. Both teams are willing to trade these players with the Flames.

Who do you choose to trade for, and what are you realistically willing to send their way to get it done?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Not knowing much about either, I'd shoot for Johansen simply because they've developed at a similar rate and Johansen is bigger and a centre.

Assuming the Flames are going to be able to get an assurance that he'll sign long-term, I'd do something like:

Two of Stajan/Hudler/Smid/Wideman (but not both dmen) + Granlund

Based on the assumption that Columbus wants to remain competitive, I think that's one of the better packages Calgary could offer without going overboard.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not knowing much about either, I'd shoot for Johansen simply because they've developed at a similar rate and Johansen is bigger and a centre.

Assuming the Flames are going to be able to get an assurance that he'll sign long-term, I'd do something like:

Based on the assumption that Columbus wants to remain competitive, I think that's one of the better packages Calgary could offer without going overboard.

Not a chance that deal would occur. Columbus would hang up if the 2015 1st isn't even involved in the trade.

I think a 1st, a 2nd and a top prospect/another first would get them listening. Johansen is the real deal.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Jarmo Kekalainen hangs up and laughs at that offer. That is terrible for Columbus.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

We have nothing they want. That is a bad proposal.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Imagine if we did acquire Johansen and Leddy. That would speed up the rebuild quite a bit with some young players to play for us in the long run.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think our 2015 1st, Baertschi and Janko would land Johansen, that's incredibly steep though and do we need to pay that given we have Monahan and Bennett? I personally think Monahan will be as good if not better than RJ. Schwartz would cost less, still not cheap though. I'd have interest in both players but would probably walk due to the price.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Not a chance that deal would occur. Columbus would hang up if the 2015 1st isn't even involved in the trade.

I think a 1st, a 2nd and a top prospect/another first would get them listening. Johansen is the real deal.

I don't think Calgary is in any position to be trading their 2015 1st plus a bunch of stuff for a guy who has had a single good season. And why is everyone talking prospects and futures? Columbus is finally competitive, and you think they'd want to delay that by trading an NHLer for kids (or picks) who might not play for multiple years?

Original offer + 2016 1st round pick, then.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I wouldn't say that... We have one of the strongest prospect pools in the NHL. It would cost us a fortune though.
We have a lot of depth prospects. And compared to the few high end prospects we have why would they trade Johanson for a player they hope will be just as good? We have nothing they want.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Asking price would for Johansen would be Monahan or Bennett+. It's not worth the Blue Jackets time for anything less.

Schwartz would be a little more complicated because of the Blues cap issues.

It's not worth it really, especially given both are having difficult contract negotiations.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Both players would cost an arm and a leg; both just finished 21 year old campaigns and scored +25 goals.

If this was next year and these issues were out there; I'd definitely use a first for Johansen and I'd reach into my prospect pool for Schwartz.

However... Calgary is still rebuilding and needs all the picks they can get in the top 60 this year, as they'll probably have a real good one in the top 5 and a real solid one in the 30s too.

If this rebuild was closer to completion and these guys would get us over the top; I'd be all over it. Or if we could do a Seguin type deal for Johansen... The problem is we don't have a legitimate top liner we could use as trade bait.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Neither. We wouldn't (and shouldn't) offer up the assets it would take to acquire either player.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

So you’re telling me that a potential Stajan, Smid and Granlund package lands the Flames a Johansen? Not a chance. Kekalainen laughs and hangs up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad