Player Discussion: Johan Sundstrom

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
One thing I missed initially is that Snow is said to be looking for a #3 center, which means Cizikas remains our #4. He's getting paid too much for that and makes me hate that contract more.

I feel like we have an embarrassment of riches at the Center position. Too many guys can be slotted in the middle. Lord knows if we ever nab Duchene, then what does that do for Barzal? What if we bring back Sundstrom and he becomes the player we hoped for him to be?

A ton of questions.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
One thing I missed initially is that Snow is said to be looking for a #3 center, which means Cizikas remains our #4. He's getting paid too much for that and makes me hate that contract more.

We dont roll a traditional 4th line though. Look at how often the Cizikas line is put out after goals and in key defensive situations. He is a good PK Guy, Good at faceoffs and works his but off. I also have to think the contract was a way of turnoff for the expansion draft.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Looks like he might be back in the mix. Snow recently visited him to talk contract after his season ends. Looks like we will sign him for the expansion draft. Also this was an epic Google Translate.

https://translate.googleusercontent...adbne/&usg=ALkJrhhPyoiwlkEwkOjof_kx9144fXLXAw

Maybe that is the guy McPhee wants.

This is really weird. Almost a guarantee that Vegas could have one of Pulock/deHaan, Nelson, Strome, or Bailey, and they would want a totally unproven Sundstrom? Seems hard to believe.

And that said if snow wants him for the Islanders would make sense to sign him after the expansion draft.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is really weird. Almost a guarantee that Vegas could have one of Pulock/deHaan, Nelson, Strome, or Bailey, and they would want a totally unproven Sundstrom? Seems hard to believe.

And that said if snow wants him for the Islanders would make sense to sign him after the expansion draft.

While I can't see the Islanders dumping Sundstrom on Vegas instead of picking one of the guys you mentioned I could see the Islanders offering Sundstrom + other stuff not to pick certain players

mack809f

Jan 15, 2010
Palm Beach Florida
Coma Chief the auto correct from hell

Was it Coma Chef whom Snow preferred over Petrov?

:shakehead:shakehead

Not only did Garth sign him but Flintstone put him on JT's line for half the year. Tavares lost the scoring title by 1 point to Jamie Benn who scored 4 points in the last game of the season. Will JT ever get another shot at a scoring title? I throw up in my mouth a little every time coma cheif is mentioned on HF.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I guess Sundstrom and Ullstrom weren't middling enough for Cappy, who loved the likes of Colon McDonald and Brian "The Warrior" Strait. Who needs skills and speed when you have compete levels and battles hard and smart for food.

Ullstrom also put up decent numbers at Bridgeport. Had size, hustled and was a 4th round pick. Definitely perplexing. Unfortunately I think the ship has sailed on him.
Sundstrom, like many others here, I still hold out hope for. Still only 24 and many from that draft class are just now making grounds in the NHL. I think it is a good sign that he has stated many times that the NHL is his goal(unlike Petrov who always seemed to have reasons to stay in Russia which may have been warranted but in life if you have a goal you have to make it happen) I remember watching Sunstrom at the Juniors (2011?) and thinking what a steal of a pick he could turn out to be a real good player.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So any chance Sundstrom gets traded to Vegas? If you look at the article in question(from march) Vegas is mentioned

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Was McPhee around for any of Sundstrom's time in BP?

I don't believe so. Only thing I am going on is their has been talk of Sundstrom coming back to the NHL for 2 years now given he has really did well in the SEL.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't believe so. Only thing I am going on is their has been talk of Sundstrom coming back to the NHL for 2 years now given he has really did well in the SEL.

I'd say it's unlikely then. If Cizikas is picked up I could see him potentially return to be our 4th line center.

BD

Oct 30, 2002
North Shore of LI
While I can't see the Islanders dumping Sundstrom on Vegas instead of picking one of the guys you mentioned I could see the Islanders offering Sundstrom + other stuff not to pick certain players

What if it was Sundstrom or other non-rostered players plus a 1st rd pick not to select a current Isles player?

:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad