Player Discussion: Johan Sundstrom

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
With two games left of regular season, Sundstrom is leading the 2nd best team in the SHL in scoring, which is pretty impressive for a 24 year old. I would be very much OK with giving him another shot in NA.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The first sentence in this part of the translation made perfect sense to me, but I'm having a little trouble with the second sentence:

"The indications from the Islanders during the visit to Sweden was good, but there is of course no guarantee of anything. Although it was not whipped cream from Garth's side so given no promises."

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Interesting. I thought that we (Cappy) did a horrible job with the Swede prospects. Not only Sundstrom but also never understood how or why we didn't retain Ullstrom at the time when he wanted a 1 way deal and Grath would only give him a 2 way. Next to Grabner he was our fastest skater.

Hey, maybe we bring Petrov in again also. Led his team in goals and scoring this year.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
"Power. The ability to get out of tight situations with the puck. run for the bags. It's there again."

:yoda: does hockey...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Interesting. I thought that we (Cappy) did a horrible job with the Swede prospects. Not only Sundstrom but also never understood how or why we didn't retain Ullstrom at the time when he wanted a 1 way deal and Grath would only give him a 2 way. Next to Grabner he was our fastest skater.

Hey, maybe we bring Petrov in again also. Led his team in goals and scoring this year.

Never understood letting Ullstrom go either. Would be awesome if Sundstrom turned into something for us.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Never understood letting Ullstrom go either. Would be awesome if Sundstrom turned into something for us.

Same, I really liked Ullstrom- even in his short stint with the Isles. Looks like he hasn't played much this season, probably an injury?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

While I understand what you're saying, he's a big, mobile winger; but it's not like the islanders let him walk, another team grabbed him and he's tearing it up elsewhere in the NHL.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Snow travelled to Gothenburg to watch him February not knowing he was injured then. But he was told that the Isles were looking to for center for the third line who was big, strong and good at faceoffs. SUndstrøm also says he is a different player now that five years ago and that his priority is getting back in the NHL, but that everything has dried up completely because of the expansion draft.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Snow travelled to Gothenburg to watch him February not knowing he was injured then. But he was told that the Isles were looking to for center for the third line who was big, strong and good at faceoffs. SUndstrøm also says he is a different player now that five years ago and that his priority is getting back in the NHL, but that everything has dried up completely because of the expansion draft.

Sundstrom was a 2 way center, more on the defensive-first side of things.
It seems he has developed his scoring capabilities.
A big center, 2nd round pick, his development at Bridgeport was mishandled.
It does look like unless Garth went over just to see him, we are going to hook him up to Las Vegas for some future "favor" by Garth's buddy McPhee.

Last edited:

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Not Middling Enough

Cappy in a nutshell.He just had it in for certain players

I guess Sundstrom and Ullstrom weren't middling enough for Cappy, who loved the likes of Colon McDonald and Brian "The Warrior" Strait. Who needs skills and speed when you have compete levels and battles hard and smart for food.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
If Sundstrom is back in NA it will be in the NHL only, if he's assigned to Bridgeport he will likely just go back to Sweden.

I hope he's brought back and sticks in the NHL, it allows Barzal to go to Bridgeport if he's not ready yet.

However, he could be one of those guys that excels in Sweden but can't find success in the NHL. Bud Holloway is an example of that.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
If Sundstrom is back in NA it will be in the NHL only, if he's assigned to Bridgeport he will likely just go back to Sweden.

I hope he's brought back and sticks in the NHL, it allows Barzal to go to Bridgeport if he's not ready yet.

However, he could be one of those guys that excels in Sweden but can't find success in the NHL. Bud Holloway is an example of that.

I remember Chicago and Toronto being interested in him last year. If he can't crack the lineup, maybe he can be flipped for a pick.

However, I tend to think he can carve out a bottom 6 role with the Isles.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One thing I missed initially is that Snow is said to be looking for a #3 center, which means Cizikas remains our #4. He's getting paid too much for that and makes me hate that contract more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad