Johan Larsson

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I like what i've seen from him. We have seen some quite remakable developments from Brynäs forwards before (Bäckström, Järnkrok, Silfverberg, Rödin) so I can not rule out that he could be a productive player in the future. Right now he looks like a good third-line center in the making. He has played some games now for the national team against not very amazing opponents (Latvia) and doesn't look out of place in that kind of competition either. Will perhaps be Brynäs second line center next year (with Järnkrok as first), but that's not a sure thing yet.

Looks like a solid pickup by Minnesota in the second round of the 2010-draft at this point.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He's not comparable to Jarnkrok, different types.

A Mikko Koivu light I'd say. Great two-way game, decent playmaking and hockey sense but not exactly the most natural scorer you would find. If Mikko is a good first line center and great second, I think you could say that Larsson can be a good second line center and a great third line one. It took Mikko some time to find his offensive game aswell though, so there's always hope for more.

He already has a man's body and doesn't shy away from dirty areas. He can improve his skating some more(it's good enough not to be worried), but I think it might be a case of just needing to patch up with his steady frame. Give him a few more years here in Sweden or AHL to work on his offensive game and he will be good NHL center down the road. Nothing that will blow you away, but someone that will give you steady play in all areas of the ice.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
for the first time in a long time as a Wild fan the Picks we have made in 2010 excite me, the top 4 all seem like they have potential to make the NHL club and be decent players. I'm a huge fan of Koivu, he isn't flashy but he gets the job done if Larsson can be anything close to being a responsible guy who plays all areas i'll be thrilled. Give me a hardworking guy who gives it his all and get the job done any day of the week

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Tied for 5th in the SEL for scoring. He's still a junior aged player as well.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
He's going to be a fantastic player. I love what I've seen from him so far this season. Even if he turns out not to be a reliable point producer at the nhl lever, he'll still be an outstanding role player. Captain material.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yep, that scoring is coming along nicely this season, and he totally dominated the J20 tournament in Lake Placid amongst other high draft picks. He's playing well beyond his age and is gonna be a rock at the WJC. I think he has a pretty good chance at making the National team later on in the season aswell.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Minnesota's drafting has been very impressive as of late. Brodin, Phillips, Zucker, Bulmer, Granlund, Scandella, Falk, Larsson...absolute turnaround from the days of Doug Risebrough. Great to see, hopefully they're a capable contender within the next few years.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I have never been more optimistic about the future of this franchise. Fletcher and Yeo are working more in sync that Riser and Lemaire ever did. Throw in an AHL franchise on the same page, and future looks bright indeed.

Oct 18, 2011
no disrespect here but every teams fans talk up their prospects. I guess there are 30 cup contenders in the making? MIN has no track record of developing talent hence my skepticism

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
no disrespect here but every teams fans talk up their prospects. I guess there are 30 cup contenders in the making? MIN has no track record of developing talent hence my skepticism

us mn fans aren't ones to usually talk up their prospects(aside of granlund ofcourse ;)), but when you have a solid draft year like we did, its kind of hard not too... especially since we havent had most of our picks really developing and being possible captains for their countries this year.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN

You came into this thread with this as your first post? Haha, alright.

Anyway, for those that have seen him, would he compare to Jordan Staal? Maybe not playing style, but his upside and impact to his team?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
no disrespect here but every teams fans talk up their prospects. I guess there are 30 cup contenders in the making?
i must have missed when all other 29 teams picked up the likes of Brodin, Phillips, Zucker, Bulmer, Granlund, Scandella, Falk, Larsson in recent yrs, not that alone makes any team a contender, but still..

Anyway, for those that have seen him, would he compare to Jordan Staal? Maybe not playing style, but his upside and impact to his team?
nah, i don't see him ever having a similar impact defensively.. and yeah, playing styles are completely different (their reach difference alone makes for 2 completely different players).

I am actually struggling to think of a similar NHL players right now, a more skilled Fedotenko came to mind, but still don't like this comparison too much, we should be able to think of someone else who is more resembling of his game.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
i must have missed when all other 29 teams picked up the likes of Brodin, Phillips, Zucker, Bulmer, Granlund, Scandella, Falk, Larsson in recent yrs, not that alone makes any team a contender, but still..

nah, i don't see him ever having a similar impact defensively.. and yeah, playing styles are completely different (their reach difference alone makes for 2 completely different players).

I am actually struggling to think of a similar NHL players right now, a more skilled Fedotenko came to mind, but still don't like this comparison too much, we should be able to think of someone else who is more resembling of his game.

A more offensively skilled Sammy Pahlsson?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Minnesota's drafting has been very impressive as of late. Brodin, Phillips, Zucker, Bulmer, Granlund, Scandella, Falk, Larsson...absolute turnaround from the days of Doug Risebrough. Great to see, hopefully they're a capable contender within the next few years.

Was just about to write that in their last two drafts they seem to have scouted the European scene very well. Granlund, Larsson and Gustavsson from 2010 and Brodin from 2011 all seem to have solid NHL-potential. Not bad to manage to get 4 NHL players from Europe from just 2 drafts. And seeing as it is Minnesota, going Nordic is never wrong, and I really like that they seem to have picked up some strong character, hard working players who should fit in nicely with the rest if the Wild organisation. If your captain is the one who should be a role model for the entire franchise then they have surely made some good picks. in the same mould as him.

If everything pans out Minnesota will be a very hard side to play against.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Pahlsson put up solid numbers in the SEL to but in the NHL he become a solid defensive player. He did how ever play with the Sedins then.

PÃ¥hlsson had 17 points in 49 games as a 19-year old in SEL, Larsson have 17 points in 20 games this year as a 19-year old.

I guess numbers isn't everything but I think Larsson will be a more offensive player.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
PÃ¥hlsson had 17 points in 49 games as a 19-year old in SEL, Larsson have 17 points in 20 games this year as a 19-year old.

I guess numbers isn't everything but I think Larsson will be a more offensive player.

From what I've read about Larsson, I think he'll find his niche in becoming a key defensive player but with some offensive flash to compliment it.

So in my mind, I'm expecting him to become a Sammy Pahlsson with offensive upside. That 3rd line center who wins key faceoffs, shuts down opposing forwards, but now with some offensive talent as well.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
From what I've read about Larsson, I think he'll find his niche in becoming a key defensive player but with some offensive flash to compliment it.

So in my mind, I'm expecting him to become a Sammy Pahlsson with offensive upside. That 3rd line center who wins key faceoffs, shuts down opposing forwards, but now with some offensive talent as well.

Wild center prospects:
Granlund
Coyle
Phillips
J. Larsson
Haula

Is there any team with better center prospects?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site

might be the case, but i'm not even sure he will be a center in the NHL.. could end up playing winger instead.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He has shown tremendous offensive burts (with flair) in the past (U18's draft year), so I think there is some seriously untapped offensive upside there.

The fact he is over a year younger than Jarnkrok and outscoring him for Brynas also is raising some eye brows. Given his style of play, Larsson might actually end up a better player on NA ice, as well. Seems to me, he might be in the NHL as early as next season.

squidz*

He has shown tremendous offensive burts (with flair) in the past (U18's draft year), so I think there is some seriously untapped offensive upside there.

The fact he is over a year younger than Jarnkrok and outscoring him for Brynas also is raising some eye brows. Given his style of play, Larsson might actually end up a better player on NA ice, as well. Seems to me, he might be in the NHL as early as next season.

While I wouldn't be surprised by some spot play at the NHL level next season, I don't think he'll be able to earn a spot out of camp because of all the 1-way contract players he'd have to beat out. The front office has focused on 3+ years down the road, so I think they'd rather have their prospects (especially the Europeans) down in Houston instead of in St. Paul. Outside of Granlund and Bulmer, I'm not sure any of our prospects have a solid chance at grabbing an NHL spot next season.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
While I wouldn't be surprised by some spot play at the NHL level next season, I don't think he'll be able to earn a spot out of camp because of all the 1-way contract players he'd have to beat out. The front office has focused on 3+ years down the road, so I think they'd rather have their prospects (especially the Europeans) down in Houston instead of in St. Paul. Outside of Granlund and Bulmer, I'm not sure any of our prospects have a solid chance at grabbing an NHL spot next season.

Although, I think the current regime has shown that if you slay it in camp and during exhibition games, you can win a spot on merit rather than contract status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad