Player Discussion Johan Larsson

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Larsson needs to be in Buffalo next year, and this team needs to re-sign him. If he rots away in Rochester half the year again because of Nolan's garbage and goes to a team that correctly uses him... GRRRAAAAARRRRR.

Exactly how is playing top 6 minutes, PP, PK and all other situations "rotting away"? That's just an absurd statement.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Exactly how is playing top 6 minutes, PP, PK and all other situations "rotting away"? That's just an absurd statement.

Yeah, no. Leighli is a bit lost on a lot of issues; add Larsson to that list.

I think that, with where he is at developmentally, and where the Sabres are at personnel-wise, another season in which he starts as a go-to top six winger who plays all situations is a smart choice to make out of camp.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Yeah, no. Leighli is a bit lost on a lot of issues; add Larsson to that list.

I think that, with where he is at developmentally, and where the Sabres are at personnel-wise, another season in which he starts as a go-to top six winger who plays all situations is a smart choice to make out of camp.

Agree. I see no issues with Larsson playing a top six role with Rochester playing with Grigorenko, Armia, etc.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Might just aswell play in the SHL instead then, it is clearly a much better league?

It's not a much better league and from a call up pov it makes absolutely no sense for Larsson to play in Sweden. He can easily called up from Rochester when needed. He can't be if he is in Sweden.

If, and it's still a big if, he starts in Rochester I doubt he stays there long.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It's not a much better league and from a call up pov it makes absolutely no sense for Larsson to play in Sweden. He can easily called up from Rochester when needed. He can't be if he is in Sweden.

If, and it's still a big if, he starts in Rochester I doubt he stays there long.

I agree. I think he's called up at some point if he starts in Rochester. I'd prefer that happens at the trade deadline (along with others - maybe Ristolainen) so Nolan isn't flooded with rookies in 2015-2016.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I would love to see Larsson in the NHL this year. I think he's marinated long enough in the AHL, it's time to see if he can be a regular NHLer.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sometimes I get stuck dreaming of:
Baptiste-McDavid-Grigorenko - I call this line the "skate, score, **** everything else" line
Girgensons-Reinhart-Larsson - and this is the "everything else" line

We have plenty of other pieces to build a competent 2 way offensive 3rd line...

That's just.... some potentially outlandish heavy lifting right there. :handclap: The main difference in Hecht-to-Larsson comparisons for me is that Hecht was an effortless skater. If Larsson's continues to improve, he'll be even better suited for higher line work.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's just.... some potentially outlandish heavy lifting right there. :handclap: The main difference in Hecht-to-Larsson comparisons for me is that Hecht was an effortless skater. If Larsson's continues to improve, he'll be even better suited for higher line work.

This line gets you home ice throughout the playoffs:
(insert your favorite)-McDavid-(insert your favorite)
(Armia, Grigorenko, Baptiste, Fasching, Ennis, Hodgson, Compher)

This line wins you a cup:
Girgensons-Reinhart-Larsson

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
I think he will be Jochen Hecht, except a little harder to play against. Larsson is far more feisty than Hecht was, and I think he'll end up being a fan favorite 3rd line player. I've also seen a lot of him in Rochester and his offensive skills are certainly there, so he may have more upside than we're giving him.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm fairly confident Larsson won't put up nearly 500 NHL points in his career. He'll be a solid 3rd or 4th liner and very responsible in all 3 zones but will never have the offense Hecht provided.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm fairly confident Larsson won't put up nearly 500 NHL points in his career. He'll be a solid 3rd or 4th liner and very responsible in all 3 zones but will never have the offense Hecht provided.

did you go with "nearly 500" for effect?

Hecht - AHL 21 yrs old - .75 pts per game
Larsson - AHL 22 yrs old - .80 pts per game

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I agree, mostly because Hecht's speed allowed him opportunities that Larsson's skating will not afford him. Hecht was a scorer in St. Louis who grew into the 2-way player we knew (I would say loved, but there are so many Hecht-haters.... :biglaugh: ).

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

Yeah, sure. I'd say 463 points qualifies. He also had a season in the middle of his career taken out by the lockout, so he's essentially a 500 point player.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah, sure. I'd say 463 points qualifies. He also had a season in the middle of his career taken out by the lockout, so he's essentially a 500 point player.

He also missed all those games with injuries... so he's essentially a 600 point player

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This year should be telling for Larsson.

A year after Hecht put up that .75 PPG season in Worcester, he had a .54 PPG season with the Blues.

I would be pleasantly surprised if Larsson had a season like that this year.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This year should be telling for Larsson.

A year after Hecht put up that .75 PPG season in Worcester, he had a .54 PPG season with the Blues.

I would be pleasantly surprised if Larsson had a season like that this year.

he likely won't get the role/ice time to match

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have a feeling that will be a recurring theme throughout his Sabres career.

I'd agree, and point out that given the role I expect him to someday have... his point production won't diminish the high value i expect him to have.

People will immediately and foolishly point to goal/point production when i make this comparison... Tomas Holmstrom (without the knack around the net)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd agree, and point out that given the role I expect him to someday have... his point production won't diminish the high value i expect him to have.

People will immediately and foolishly point to goal/point production when i make this comparison... Tomas Holmstrom (without the knack around the net)

Maybe. I'm thinking more Kris Draper, though.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree, mostly because Hecht's speed allowed him opportunities that Larsson's skating will not afford him. Hecht was a scorer in St. Louis who grew into the 2-way player we knew (I would say loved, but there are so many Hecht-haters.... :biglaugh: ).

If he is ever going to match Hecht's offense he needs to start working on his crazy angle goals.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I never thought Holmstrom was that great on the defensive end. Not necessarily a liability, but not nearly on Larsson's level.

I can see the puck control/general horse comparison though.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad