Johan Larsson contract (RFA)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yes, Of course i remember. It drove me bonkers.:laugh:

Remember the year when he started on a line with Kennedy and Grier and the three of them were a truly elite shutdown line? But our scoring lines were so bad that we had to move Hecht to one of those lines so we could score some goals. It killed the Kennedy line, and effectively killed Kennedy. That's probably Hecht's biggest accomplishment, he made Kennedy look like an NHL player :laugh:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Remember the year when he started on a line with Kennedy and Grier and the three of them were a truly elite shutdown line? But our scoring lines were so bad that we had to move Hecht to one of those lines so we could score some goals. It killed the Kennedy line, and effectively killed Kennedy. That's probably Hecht's biggest accomplishment, he made Kennedy look like an NHL player :laugh:

He was such an integral part in turning Briere's career around.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
I think great is beyond where he'll eventually settle in. It would be nice to see him consistently perform as a Sobotka type of player.

I didn't mean great as in Gretzky and Orr, I meant great as in a "very solid piece of the puzzle". Great as in the value he brings compared to his original expectations.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'd keep Larsson in the middle going forward (until the obvious candidates force him out). Initially, I had the same feeling about Girgensons (staying at center short term), but Larsson's emergence gives us more options.

Exactly. The biggest question now with the Johan is consistency. I'd like to see him be able to produce reasonably with lesser line mates but, can't complain at this point.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

So that's who killed Kennedy...

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Was there a magic bullet involved? Multiple shooters?

magic_bullet_4.jpg

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If you were forced to keep both Girgensons and Larsson in top 6 roles, but only one could stay at center, which one would you move to wing?

Girgensons. His game doesn't seem to lose anything at wing vs center. Larsson's most successful showing, however, and by a wide margin, has been at C.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Larsson will be the perfect 3rd line centre long term with actual good players on his wings in 2015/2016

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

It wasn't all Hecht, though. For a couple of games Grier Kennedy Vanek almost looked like an actual 1st line. Filing for arbitration killed Kennedy's career. Kind of a sad story, he really looked good for a while.
On topic: If Larsson turns into Hecht, I'd be ecstatic. Ultimate glue guy, can't wish for much more than that.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Larsson will be the perfect 3rd line centre long term with actual good players on his wings in 2015/2016

Agree 100% - and I hope the Sabres do use him at center instead of pushing him to the wing.

On topic: If Larsson turns into Hecht, I'd be ecstatic. Ultimate glue guy, can't wish for much more than that.

I think he will - he has all the skills and instincts Hecht did and then some. He also has a feisty side to him that Hecht never did.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Assuming McEichel, I'd like to see Larsson nail down the 3C spot, but he should still get a QO of around .960 mil for two years.

Even if McEichel doesn't happen, it would seem that either Reinhart/Girgensons or with ROR possibly in the mix and Girgensons moving to wing, the 3rd line center slot would still be eligible for Larsson to win.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't want to get ahead of myself but, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 years we could be running into a Tampa problem where we have skilled and ready young players that just can't crack the lineup. I'm thinking Bailey, Baptiste, Compher, Fasching... depending on how they progress. Then it will be more of a contract game. All the reason to always have young guys around to flip over vets. Don't want to run into Pitt problems.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
He's becoming a versatile two-way player, who can play in bottom-lines and produce, and is at least a decent player to play in top-lines in cases of emergency.

I really don't see him being a top-6-player in a contending team, but a valuable third-liner absolutely. When the team gets better, he's not getting as much ice-time and especially not as much PP time, which will hurt his production.

I think him, Grigo, Schaller and Varone all are going to have/sign one-year QO for next season. Larsson as well Grigo are going to be trade-baits in order to get a young core-piece.

I even think, that if Larsson is offered a two-year bridge-deal, he is going to be used as a trade-bait. He has shown enough to be considered as an NHLer, and some contending teams with cap problems might see him as an excellent piece to have in your third-line for two-years with salary about 800k.

Really happy to see him establishing himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad