Value of: Johan Larsson (BUF) to playoff contender

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
3/4C UFA to be, constant effort, plays with an edge with positive 5o5 metrics with heavier Dzone deployment, solid at the dot, PK, 14min toi kinda guy.

Does a great job shifting the ice from D to O against stronger competition and more often than not wins his shifts.

Would be a great addition to a Center spine for some playoff dirty work

Whats the best Sabres could hope for...a 3rd? Second tier prospect with similar upside?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
3/4C UFA to be, constant effort, plays with an edge with positive 5o5 metrics with heavier Dzone deployment, solid at the dot, PK, 14min toi kinda guy.

Does a great job shifting the ice from D to O against stronger competition and more often than not wins his shifts.

Would be a great addition to a Center spine for some playoff dirty work

Whats the best Sabres could hope for...a 3rd? Second tier prospect with similar upside?
A third? LOL. Maybe a fifth

Reactions: VaporTrail

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
A third? LOL. Maybe a fifth
well I did say 'best'...even Mike Weber fetched a 3rd :sarcasm:

But I'm guessing opposing GM's & coaches understand his value more than fanbases do, even Sabres fans & media have undervalued him for years (some still do).

Should've been re-upped for more years, but here we are.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If possible he should be re-signed. Not moved for a meaningless pick. If he's intent on hitting free agency then maybe you entertain moving him.
well, yeah obviously...but considering Botts failed to lock him up, I'm not putting it past him to move him considering the other UFA's to trade are garbage.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If possible he should be re-signed. Not moved for a meaningless pick. If he's intent on hitting free agency then maybe you entertain moving him.

Buffalo needs to re-sign him. He's the only functional C we have behind Eichel on this roster.

Totally agree and yet while other teams are making moves to make sure they aren't left stranded this summer, shoring up UFA-to-be's in their lineup, Mr. Bigheaded Genius whistles while Buffa-rome burns.

Next year is going to be so much fun with whatever former winger retreads are playing center and the gross contract they give Galchenyuk over the summer... :puke:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
He's going to love playing in meaningful games, so don't be the GM to miss out on 'Playoff Larry'!

You'll look like a genius and also have a leg up on re-signing him before 7/1 to a nice value deal.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Late third is definitely possible from the team that needs that kind of player. Canucks come to mind.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
with Karlsson & Glass out, wonder if VGK would be interested in adding a vet C to fill in above Eakin & Roy. They have an extra '20 3rd.

with Barkov out, maybe a fit to add to the mix of Malgin, Toninato & Sceviour. They have an extra '20 3rd.

Caps love to add solid vets, maybe an upgrade on Dowd? They have an extra '20 3rd.

CBJ, PIT, BOS would all look like solid fits.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
with Karlsson & Glass out, wonder if VGK would be interested in adding a vet C to fill in above Eakin & Roy. They have an extra '20 3rd.

with Barkov out, maybe a fit to add to the mix of Malgin, Toninato & Sceviour. They have an extra '20 3rd.

Caps love to add solid vets, maybe an upgrade on Dowd? They have an extra '20 3rd.

CBJ, PIT, BOS would all look like solid fits.
Bill, & Glass are supposedly returning very soon. But either way, no we're not interested, if there's one thing we don't need it's centers, especially after getting Stephenson for a 5th.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
good fit for the islanders
would certainly fit their system, not sure its a need though with Cizikas, unless they shifted Nelly to wing and bumped everyone up adding Larsson. If they can't find more scoring, going full cocoon D mode is an option.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This guys probably holds more value to a team with putrid center depth like the Sabres, than he is on the trade market.

If I'm the Sabres I'd just re-sign him, but assuming he's looking to move on I don't think a 3rd and a later pick (5th/6th) is out of the question.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Bill, & Glass are supposedly returning very soon. But either way, no we're not interested, if there's one thing we don't need it's centers, especially after getting Stephenson for a 5th.
Noted, didn't realize getting healthy was imminent and forgot about Stephenson tbh, thanks.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
would certainly fit their system, not sure its a need though with Cizikas, unless they shifted Nelly to wing and bumped everyone up adding Larsson. If they can't find more scoring, going full cocoon D mode is an option.

i think one issue is that 3rd line or 4th line or whatever they are calling it. cizikas line is really the 3rd
but that line with brassard and dal colle and any other pieces on it has been an odd fit. isles also
have no center depth in their system, so i would assume they are adding a guy that can play 3C
but may slide in behind cizikas.

Reactions: Sabreality

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This guys probably holds more value to a team with putrid center depth like the Sabres, than he is on the trade market.

If I'm the Sabres I'd just re-sign him, but assuming he's looking to move on I don't think a 3rd and a later pick (5th/6th) is out of the question.
absolutely, but our GM is a moron for not giving him a 3/4y deal, so just bracing for the trade of the UFA who actually holds some value.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
He'd be a perfect fit on a hard nosed team like St. Louis, Vegas, Washington. Which means that the rest of the playoff contenders need to work very hard to get a player like that for the run. I'd literally fire a playoff team GM who doesn't at least call Buffalo to inquire. So, when all said and done I expect a bit of a bidding war and would not be surprised if he fetches a 2nd.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
He should just stay put...for all the reasons listed in the OP. There's a list of a good 6 forwards who could/should go first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad