Recalled/Assigned: Joey Anderson called up

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why are the Leafs giving seemingly every Marlie on the bubble a shot this year? Like they don't normally do this, they normally call up 1 or 2 of the same guys.

Are they assessing the depth for a playoff run? Are they preparing for a big trade and want to know what they have first?

Both of these things.

It’s nice that they’re not just putting Clifford or Simmonds in

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
My impression during his last call-up: nothing special + far too slow for the NHL ... hopefully I was wrong

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My impression during his last call-up: nothing special + far too slow for the NHL ... hopefully I was wrong

He's running out of chances with the org .. good on him for going back to the AHL after being passed on the depth chart and continuing to work hard. Will be interesting to see if that experience makes him more effective in this stint.

Glad he's getting a look amidst the injuries

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Had higher hopes for Anderson in pre season. He just seemed to be going through the motions. He is by all accounts a solid 2-way player at the AHL level. Hard to play against, leads by example, can put up the points, let’s hope he snags this opportunity. With Engvall and Robertson out, both Anderson and Simmonds will draw in with Malgin taking to top 6 winger spot.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Anderson started hot with the marlies. 6G 3A after 6 games.
1 point, -4 last 6 games.

I think just a body at this point.

Reactions: fahad203

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I'm looking at Anderson to fill a bottom 6 roll with a little grit and some size.

Not expecting him to see any time on the top 2 lines or the PP. So as a result neither am I expecting any offensive production.

Reactions: arso40 and horner

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Smart player who hasn’t capitalized in the NHL yet but has been a good pro in the A.
Good opportunity for him, might be a case where the team is showcasing him to give him a chance in the league somewhere.

horner

May 22, 2007
Smart player who hasn’t capitalized in the NHL yet but has been a good pro in the A.
Good opportunity for him, might be a case where the team is showcasing him to give him a chance in the league somewhere.
He needs to get involved physically.
His other call ups weren't impressive.

Love Holmberg hope he can replicate what he does.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I've never seen much of anything from Anderson to show that he was an everyday NHL player. Very meh.

Hoping he can show something but he just strikes me as a career AHL player.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It isn't. Joseph Thomas Anderson
So it's T.J. Oshie and T.J. Brodie and J.T. Anderson.

1670687754882.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why are the Leafs giving seemingly every Marlie on the bubble a shot this year? Like they don't normally do this, they normally call up 1 or 2 of the same guys.

Are they assessing the depth for a playoff run? Are they preparing for a big trade and want to know what they have first?

Because there are no standouts and they're giving each some NHL money to help combat inflation?
If they are on Entry Level Contract, can they actually afford to live in the GTA?
Anderson makes decent AHL money though.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
I haven't been a fan of Anderson, from what I've seen he has a decent set of hands but really struggles to follow where the play is going and doesn't have any standout physical traits.
Will be happy if he does well but I hope Steeves gets the next call up.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Gotta think this is his last shot. Guy is from the same draft class as Matthews and Mete. This is his make it or break it. I see him more as a trade piece if he shines since we do not have the space for him with guys like SDA/Steeves who are around the same stage in development.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kind of funny that it took Joey Anderson the same amount of time to get another look in the NHL as it did for Andreas Johnsson to flame out as an NHLer. They have now both converged to being PPG AHLers.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Because there are no standouts and they're giving each some NHL money to help combat inflation?
If they are on Entry Level Contract, can they actually afford to live in the GTA?
Anderson makes decent AHL money though.

Yes they are able to live. Isn't league min 70k USD a year? That's two adults working full time min wage jobs. They aren't rich af but they get a room mate on the team and split things, they could have a nice condo and live a comfortable life while living their dream

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Kind of funny that it took Joey Anderson the same amount of time to get another look in the NHL as it did for Andreas Johnsson to flame out as an NHLer. They have now both converged to being PPG AHLers.
A lose lose trade? I mean, at least the Leafs got space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad