Confirmed with Link: Joensuu Transferred to SC Bern

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Are people honestly going to miss this guy?

IMO, that's 1 down and about 14 to go.

Oh, I'd bet there are a couple Siberian GMs eyeing Nikitin at the moment. If they could offload him that would be a huge home-run all on it's own.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Glad to be rid of him, play hard early in the season then coast the rest of the way wasn't getting it done.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Glad to be rid of him, play hard early in the season then coast the rest of the way wasn't getting it done.

Hey, at least he played hard early in the season some guys on the roster havent even made it that far after almost 30 games.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Eyes Pouliots 5 year 20 million dollar deal and Nikitins 2 year 9 million dollar deal and Purcells 2 year 9 million dollar deal and Ferentzs 3 year 3.25 million deal. Maybeeeeeeee not.

2 years is a lot easier to stomach than 4 or 5.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
2 years is a lot easier to stomach than 4 or 5.

No doubt, but if you make too many of these two year errors like the Oilers have you leave yourself paralyzed unable to make trades or any real change.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eyes Pouliots 5 year 20 million dollar deal and Nikitins 2 year 9 million dollar deal and Purcells 2 year 9 million dollar deal and Ferentzs 3 year 3.25 million deal. Maybeeeeeeee not.

Yep. Easy reply. We continue to hand out laughable contracts that don't make the slightest difference to this hockey club. Except possibly making it worse.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Are people honestly going to miss this guy?

IMO, that's 1 down and about 14 to go.
everybody plays better in the first 10 games as an Oiler. It's because they haven't had the time to let the horrible coaching influence their game yet.

You might think I'm joking but I'm being 100% serious. When a player first arrives on a new team he's basically playing the game the way he was taught to play on the team and in the system he was in before. Once a player becomes oilerized it's all over.

Oh crap I just realized that I pressed reply to the wrong post. No time to change it now, you just have to use your imagination to figure out what post I was replying to. Sorry

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This guy was Hartikainen woth less potential and less offense. Dime a dozen.

He was not the guy driving the wagon line and was even more in over his head playing on his off wing.

Next!

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I don't see why people are calling out the Oilers for 'doing this' to poor JJ. He started strong and then really didn't do much after that (just like last year). When he was first waived, I remember reading that he was weighing his options and didn't want to go down to the farm. He didn't report to OKC and was still up practicing with the big club.

Now a few weeks later (or however long it is), he's loaned out to a European club. Most-likely the Oilers are doing him a favour by allowing him to play there instead of OKC which is something he asked for.

Not a big loss and I don't understand the uproar about what a terrible organization the Oilers are? OK, they are pretty lousy in most ways but I don't see it this time...

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
He's not good, he was pretty much invisible his last ten games. Same story as last year, I don't think he's gonna make it in the NHL.

he was done ages ago. the Oilers were just desperate enough to give a "big body" another go and he blew. he couldnt even hang around wretched Islanders teams.

this organization made me start watching hockey in the 80s as a chil and theyre making me stop watching hockey now as an adult. A+
moving on

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
deep_burn.jpg

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think this is probably the Oilers helping him out. I imagine he didn't want to spend all that time in the AHL and management likely appreciated his effort. He did work a lot harder from game to game this year.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm looking at it like this.

Last year Joenssu played really well pre season and trailed of on the consistency after what...10 or so games.

This year, good in pre season, really good (and consistant), in close to 12 - 15 games give or take.

The Oilers (MacT) may not be taking so long too evaluate the player as before. That could be a good sign.

Although MacT's evaluation of some of the players is laughable at times.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I don't see why people are calling out the Oilers for 'doing this' to poor JJ. He started strong and then really didn't do much after that (just like last year).
If he was the only player here to show promise and fade away I'd say you were 100% right. Everyone who gets a chance to make the NHL shows promise. No one on the Oilers reaches their full potential. Guys like Harski and JJ who can dominate shifts should turn into reliable checkers who can play a regular 3rd or 4th line shift.

Guys like Brodziak and Glencross who swim upstream to actually develop here should be recognized for what they actually bring to a team and be retained long-term.

Everything the Oilers have touched has turned to crap here in the last ten years. They don't have a 100th overall draft pick that turned into an impact player on their roster. Their first round picks aren't impact players and their first overalls are at a 66% conversion rate for just becoming decent first line players.

I don't blame any 1 specific player for their own failure. When EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in an organization fails to develop that's a systemic failure, not 100 individual failures. If a high school with 1,000 students only gets 35 kids into universities and 50 of them end up in jail would you send your kid there with a reasonable expectation that they are on the path to success?

I'd want my kid to play for Chi, StL, Det, etc even though those teams have far less room on the current rosters for new players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really get it though ... the "wagon" line hasn't been nearly as good with Gazdic or Pinnizotto on it as far as I can tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad