Confirmed with Link: Joel Vermin signs 3-year ELC

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why??????

I have no problem giving a ELC out but why not wait till after the season to first see how he performs to make sure he doesn't regress and second to get him to come over if we give him one.

I would've gave one to Erne, Ikonen or Salminen first. Anybody have a better scouting report then BP?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Why??????

I have no problem giving a ELC out but why not wait till after the season to first see how he performs to make sure he doesn't regress and second to get him to come over if we give him one.

I would've gave one to Erne, Ikonen or Salminen first. Anybody have a better scouting report then BP?

His contract starts right away, so Tampa sheds one year of his ELC, while he is in the Swiss, so this is basically giving them more flexibility, if he struggles in NA, they can get ride of him faster.

Source that it checks in right away (but it's in German):
http://www.nationalleague.ch/NL/aktuell/de/sportinformationen_news.php?news=20130917_brz008_1

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
His contract starts right away, so Tampa sheds one year of his ELC, while he is in the Swiss, so this is basically giving them more flexibility, if he struggles in NA, they can get ride of him faster.

Source that it checks in right away (but it's in German):
http://www.nationalleague.ch/NL/aktuell/de/sportinformationen_news.php?news=20130917_brz008_1

Still doesn't make sense, he's 21 so why not have him come over now and if he can't cut it in the A send him back over? Rather burn an ELC year keeping Drouin, Erne or Koekkoek up.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Still doesn't make sense, he's 21 so why not have him come over now and if he can't cut it in the A send him back over? Rather burn an ELC year keeping Drouin, Erne or Koekkoek up.

That may be a problem with his contract. Normally players in Switzerland have a NHL-out clause at the end of the season, not in the middle of. There is a good possibility that this is the problem.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That may be a problem with his contract. Normally players in Switzerland have a NHL-out clause at the end of the season, not in the middle of. There is a good possibility that this is the problem.

But this would be the opposite, it would be a Swiss clause. I know we've had players leave before when they we're sent to the A, or started there and decided they rather go back to Europe.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Well he had an outclause and signed with Tampa, so he has no contract in the NLA anymore and was loaned to his old club, so he will most likely get paid the money of his Tampa contract. Not sure who will pay the money though.

I think it's a good thing for both. I mean if he would sign with 22 next summer he would still have to sign a 3-year deal. So if he sucks he is stuck playing in NA until he is 25, while he could also go back one year earlier and earn more money in the NLA.
And with 24 it's very safe to say he is either in the NHL or right on the door to step in or will not make it.

So this gives Tampa and him more flexibility to react on his development

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Players who are 18-21 years old can sign a 3 year year ELC.

Players who are 22-23 years old can sign a 2 year ELC (Like Sustr and Brown)

Players who are 24 years old can sign for a 1 year ELC.

Joel is 21 years old. If they wait a year, he'd be 22 and wouldn't be able to sign for as many years. So the lightning rushed to sign him early so they'd get an extra year. His contract doesn't kick in anyway until he comes over.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Players who are 18-21 years old can sign a 3 year year ELC.

Players who are 22-23 years old can sign a 2 year ELC (Like Sustr and Brown)

Players who are 24 years old can sign for a 1 year ELC.

Joel is 21 years old. If they wait a year, he'd be 22 and wouldn't be able to sign for as many years. So the lightning rushed to sign him early so they'd get an extra year. His contract doesn't kick in anyway until he comes over.

He's 21 already and only got drafted in the 7th round, I'm not sure he has lots of room for improvement. He's not very big and I doubt he plays a physical game as most Euros don't. We still own his rights for 3-4 years why not let him develop over there and then give him a contract if he deserves it. I guess SY has his reasons just would be nice to know what they are.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He's 21 already and only got drafted in the 7th round, I'm not sure he has lots of room for improvement. He's not very big and I doubt he plays a physical game as most Euros don't. We still own his rights for 3-4 years why not let him develop over there and then give him a contract if he deserves it. I guess SY has his reasons just would be nice to know what they are.

He was an overager in the draft, so we had one year to sign him or lose his rights. So it was either sign him now or sometime before June. I think at least, unless the rules for the Swiss are the same as those in the Russian leagues, since Gusev didn't need a contract.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He was an overager in the draft, so we had one year to sign him or lose his rights. So it was either sign him now or sometime before June. I think at least, unless the rules for the Swiss are the same as those in the Russian leagues, since Gusev didn't need a contract.

I thought the rule for all Euro's was the same no matter what age they were drafted. I know the amount of time you held their rights changed in the new CBA but I haven't heard about only having 1 year to sign them.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Well I'm surprised by this, I really don't see him making it to the NHL. I mean he's not even on the national team, I guess he's a decent player in Switzerland but nothing more. In 3 regular season games thus far with Bern, he has no points, 2PIM and -1.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Vermin will join Syracuse immediately.

Link (in german)

More offensive firepower down in 'Cuse. Now just gotta restock the D this summer with Koekkoek, Blujus and Dotchin all making the jump. Ikonen should also help in every zone. They'll be young, but holy **** will there be talent.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
More offensive firepower down in 'Cuse. Now just gotta restock the D this summer with Koekkoek, Blujus and Dotchin all making the jump. Ikonen should also help in every zone. They'll be young, but holy **** will there be talent.

Yeah Zettler sure has the talent to get something going next season. Vermin could be a very interesting case for us, IMO the NLA is maybe the most unpredictable league coming over to NA. Some stars from there never do anything here and some good players that all of a sudden skyrock their potential in NA.
I could definitly see Vermin being one of them, he has lots of natural talent, if he uses it ride, he might grow into a real prospect for us, if not we lost almost nothing.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Suri's contract runs another year and he'd have to give up a lot to get out of this. And after playing the olympics he felt not ready to go over yet, he'll stay another year in the Swiss league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad